P1000 A spring rate question

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hi fellas,
So I have been looking through the search and have not found quite what I am after. I am going to buy the fox shocks from ron ayers as recommendedon this forum.

I actually considered the rough country vertex for 1200plus tax but was reading about their other vertex on trucks and found the shocks were great until 10k miles on a pickup and then you have to buy a whole set.

These have not been out very long and I couldn't find much on the ones for the pioneer so I looked at the pickups which were also pretty new.

Given that we trail ride these machines and they are not meant to go on a truck I can only imagine the shocks would last less time on a sxs. That and other people having the things dynamite shortly after install and ordering new ones under warranty only to have the new ones do the same thing a year later.

The rough country shocks were not rebuildable.

I'm wondering how you guys figure what spring rate to change over to on the fox shocks. I found a great post which explained everything about why he did it but not on determining the spring rate. He said and I found most people like 250 in the front and 300 in the rear.

I read a man plows with 300lbs in the back and that was plenty of pressure for him. But trail riding and plowing are two different things depending upon how fast you go and the terrain etc. I even found a guy changing the springs on walker evans after his wife wrecked a shock after too many margaritas. However nobody ever said what spring rate he should go with for himself, three passengers and gear.

between the dog, gear tires rear windshield and whatever else I estimate we have just shy of 300lbs in the bed.

We carry a spare tire carrier with tire carrier off the rear with a rotopax
A hundred pounds in gear plus a dog in the back. All in all I estimate our buggy with 2 of us up front to way about 25-2600lbs.

I don't want to have too light a spring and have to crank on a bunch of preload but I don't want to be riding on a rock either.

Any helpful insight would be much appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added Viper # 350 to the rear Fox and am loaded down just as you, maybe more.
They work perfectly.

Preload came at less than an inch run out, leaving a ton of adjustment.
I also left rebound dampener in the middle setting.

I contacted Viper before I bought mine and they recommended # 350. Glad I did. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08J9FF12Q?tag=sxsweb24-20

Did not change the front springs.

Searching new springs on Fox shocks will get you to a ton of information.

Good Luck 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: TxDoc
N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I added Viper # 350 to the rear Fox and am loaded down just as you, maybe more. The work perfectly. Left the front oem.
Searching new springs on Fox shocks will get you to a ton of information.
Yeah I read a lot on the forum already. What I couldn't find was how much people carried around in their setup based upon their spring rates. Good to hear that the 350s are working for you. It was a toss up for me between 300s or 350s in the rear.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It was a toss up for me between 300s or 350s in the rear.
I don't think you would have gone wrong either way. I went 250F and 300R. Packouts in the back (no dog), but I try to pack light. Tire carrier on back but Rotopax are mounted to two of the Packouts, so not as far rear as off the carrier. Happy with the 300s.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did some digging to figure out my Elkas.

Front springs are Coil Spring, Part No B4.5X356, 2.53in. ID, 252 lbs/in rate, 14.01 in. long
Rear springs are Coil Spring, Part No B5.4X305, 2.53in. ID, 303 lbs/in rate, 12 in. long

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We have a NYT best seller! 😏🥳

Reactions: NH Rider
N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I don't think you would have gone wrong either way. I went 250F and 300R. Packouts in the back (no dog), but I try to pack light. Tire carrier on back but Rotopax are mounted to two of the Packouts, so not as far rear as off the carrier. Happy with the 300s.
Okay thanks

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well I ended up ordering 250s for the front and 350s for the rear. I'm glad to hear either way I'd be fine. With the little stiffer springs we have a little more Lee way on putting people in the back or something. That ron ayers really does have the best price on shocks. Hard to find the fox shocks on their website but a Google search of what I wanted took me right to the page.

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well I ended up ordering 250s for the front and 350s for the rear. I'm glad to hear either way I'd be fine. With the little stiffer springs we have a little more Lee way on putting people in the back or something. That ron ayers really does have the best price on shocks. Hard to find the fox shocks on their website but a Google search of what I wanted took me right to the page.
Did they show them in stock? If not, expect an email in about a week letting you know they are on back order. Sure hope they got things straightened around since 21-22. What a mess.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Yes they were all in stock. I wanted red all around but they only had red for the rears not the fronts. So I got black in front. I will probably shoot them with a spray can when I get them. Or maybe just leave it alone. They will be brown after the first 10 minutes of a ride anyways.
Did they show them in stock? If not, expect an email in about a week letting you know they are on back order. Sure hope they got things straightened around since 21-22. What a mess.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!