• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Abernathy's, Brookhaven, Ramey

Discussion in 'Buying a Honda Talon' started by jamesh, Oct 31, 2019.

1. jamesh

jamesh Active Member

Ownership:
    These are three dealers I have identified which claim to sell the Talon X4 at $2,000+ below MSRP. [Brookhaven even currently has the R listed at $16,997 and the X (2 seat) at $16,297] on their website.

Abernathy's claims the X4 base model is OTD at $19,994 and Ramey replied to me on Facebook they at will be selling the base X4 at $19,400. The quote from Abernathy's is a written quote by email which states all fees included (less sales tax which I would cover back in my home state, Texas, after purchase).

Here is the rub. No local dealer will touch that pricing. I've called some dealers known for good pricing nearby in Oklahoma and Arkansas that claim to price match. When telling them about these other quotes they say things like, "well, they tack on fees during financing", or "they only keep upgraded models in the floor and tell you that even though they honor the base model price, they don't keep them assembled and you'll need to get a hotel to wait for assembly".

Do any of you all have experience with these specific dealers or others like them? I don't mind a long drive to buy the machine if I'm going to save a chunk of cash. I haul the machines over distances just to go riding, so it's no big deal. I can make it a trip to buy and go on a ride.

So what's the real deal? Is this a bait and switch, or are these other dealers just trying to scare me into spending more money at their place because they can't touch the pricing?

JACKAL and sharp like this.
  2. Choogsbro

Choogsbro Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    I live in south central Ky. I personally have no expierence with Abernathy's but many around here say they definitely have the best pricing on everything they sell. My local dealer hates them because they kick everybody's butt.

jamesh likes this.
  3. dnjones161

dnjones161 Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I cant speak for the other two, but Abernathy's has a great reputation from consumers around us. They were my "bar" for pricing when I bought by 1000. Ultimately i found someone who who deal local close enough to make it not worth my drive, but I heard all kind of excuses as well.

One dealer suggested they were selling wrecked units that fell off a semi and were patched back together :rolleyes:

I think the best strategy is to say look, i can buy it for this, i dont wanna make that drive- how close can you get me? If its close enough, stay local, if not, plan a trip!

Lil_Steve and jamesh like this.
  4. 100Acre

100Acre Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
    sharp likes this.
  5. ohanacreek

ohanacreek My EcoBoost has I4WD
    Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    i know someone who just bought from Ramey and he was quoted 17,200 for a base R that’s what he paid OTD.

6. jamesh

jamesh Active Member

Ownership:
    What?

Drabon74 likes this.
  7. Smitty335

Smitty335 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I bought local and paid way to much for a 16 P1-5, but they got me and out pretty quick on warranty repairs, 2 clutch replacements and all the recalls, If I would have had to drive hours, that would have been the pits and wait weeks for repairs, buggy sitting out in the rain, don't think I'll ever buy another first year of anything, I didn't realize 16 was the first year for the P1-5's. Honda was smart by bringing out the LE's with the i4WD system and doing some real testing before bringing out the Talon with i4WD system. Still on the fence on the i4WD system, time will tell? Took Honda three years to figure out the issues with the P1's, I'm in no hurry!

8. gtsum2

gtsum2 Member

I bought a rzr a few years back from abernathys and their quoted price was exactly what I paid when I arrived there. They do have a small local tax they add...it was like $40 or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Montecresto

Montecresto Montecresto el segundo

Ownership:
    500, 1000-3, 1000-5
  10. Montecresto

Ownership:
    500, 1000-3, 1000-5
  11. Montecresto

Ownership:
    500, 1000-3, 1000-5
  12. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

The couple times I've had customers try to get the price match they come back saying they didn't have that particular model in stock or something similar.

I've also had a few of their units in for service and they have had some "issues" in set-up. The last P1K I had in from there had a seat full of water and the unit had obviously never been in that much water. Turns out their inventory sits outside and the rain had filled the seat. Honda wouldnt pay for it.

13. Smitty335

Smitty335 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Really? Richard drove ours in CO and told me they drove the same?

14. 100Acre

100Acre Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
  15. motorman18

motorman18 Active Member

I live and buy in Mississippi you also have Honda of laurel that will be around same prices as rameys and Brookhaven sometimes better prices they tell me they don’t really make as much off the vehicle they make more off the add on stuff

16. sharp

sharp Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
  17. JACKAL

JACKAL I seent it!
    Moderator Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
    jamesh, Drabon74, sharp and 2 others like this.
  18. Jug

Jug New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Hi Jamesh,
    Did you find a place to buy from? I'm also in the DFW area.

19. jamesh

jamesh Active Member

Ownership:
    Not yet. I'm waiting on the title for one of my P500s to arrive in the mail so I can finalize its sale. I'll start making the calls and negotiations then. I'm hoping I can get an Oklahoma dealer to price match, but I'll drive to one of these other dealers if I need to. I mean, we have to haul our rigs a couple hours minimum for most good riding places anyways, so its not a big deal to go one way with an empty trailer and come back loaded up. I called Jones to see if they price matched and they were non-committal. To be fair, I told them I wasn't ready to buy for several weeks and they had not quite gotten a model in yet either.

20. Jug

Jug New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    OK, Thanks for the info.
    We are going to look this weekend. It looks like Jones, Outdoor Powersports in Ardmore, Freedom in Farmers Branch and Wise Honda are some of the best prices we have found so far.

sharp likes this.