Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dual'd it:)
All accessories run off yellow top Optima and run through blue seas add a battery kit with battery on/off/combine switch
View attachment 19329
View attachment 19331
Battery box is custom for Optima battery and has holes pre drilled. I added a rubber mat beneath for shock and drilled a few holes to attach it to plastic. Notice the factory support between mounting holes
View attachment 19332
View attachment 19330
Added over 30' of power cable to support install.

Works awesome! Power to spare! Great location! Definitely do it again.
Thanks again for the the info. Ordering the stuff up today.

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Oem in factory location + Optima = 2 batteries. OEM runs all factory electrical, & Optima runs all accessories. This is how it's wired.
View attachment 19339
All accessories run off yellow top Optima and run through blue seas add a battery kit with battery on/off/combine switch
View attachment 19329
View attachment 19331
Battery box is custom for Optima battery and has holes pre drilled. I added a rubber mat beneath for shock and drilled a few holes to attach it to plastic. Notice the factory support between mounting holes
View attachment 19332
View attachment 19330

Does 30' of cable = 15' of red and 15' Black cable, #4? Thanks

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ready to see how Joey does his battery. Joey I assume you have had good luck with the yellow tops? I used to use red tops but got 3 that didn't make it 2 years so I never bought any more. I heard their quality went down?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Does 30' of cable = 15' of red and 15' Black cable, #4? Thanks
I just picked up battery cable by the foot from auto parts store. Not 100% on guage of wire. All red

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ready to see how Joey does his battery. Joey I assume you have had good luck with the yellow tops? I used to use red tops but got 3 that didn't make it 2 years so I never bought any more. I heard their quality went down?
A decent way to do cables is to use jumper cables. They are better insulated and much cheaper. Used sets work very well

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 19329
View attachment 19331
View attachment 19332
View attachment 19330

What happens if you do not turn the switch on
View attachment 19329
View attachment 19331
View attachment 19332
View attachment 19330

What happens if you don't turn the switch on? Where did you put the switch?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What happens if you do not turn the switch on

What happens if you don't turn the switch on? Where did you put the switch?
Image Image
I leave it on all the time. I mostly use combine setting when winching to support more power to the winch. If you were in a hurry and had all accessories on, you could simply turn the switch to the off position and there would be no power supplied to anything including the vehicle electrical system.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 19389 View attachment 19390
I leave it on all the time. I mostly use combine setting when winching to support more power to the winch. If you were in a hurry and had all accessories on, you could simply turn the switch to the off position and there would be no power supplied to anything including the vehicle electrical system.
I am thinking about a under the hood location. Lights and winch on the optima and non factory stuff. Using the Blue Seas 120A kit (ACR was more robust) with Amt fuse links on charging legs and new bussmann fuse/relay box leg 80 amp. The unit only charges at 50 amps correct?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I had one red top and didn't like it. I've had dozens of yellow and blue tops for our work equipment and run them in personal things too. I'm not saying they're the best but they are good for the money(I've got a commercial account at Oreilly) and can be bought off the shelf just about anywhere in the country.

My set up will be similar to my P700 build which is a single yellow top with a heavy wire running to the stock battery location. At the stock battery location, I will have some remote terminals so I don't have a rats nest of wires. I will have a fuse or breaker on the battery for safety. Hey @CumminsPusher, that's funny you mentioned that about jumper cables. My local Oreilly has 2ga jumper cables that are probably 20' long and they are $59.99. I bet I have bought 3 sets in the past because it's cheap wire and like you said, it's got a heavy coating.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know it seems cheesy but I learned things like that building my motorhome. These things get expensive any savings is a great thing

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I am thinking about a under the hood location. Lights and winch on the optima and non factory stuff. Using the Blue Seas 120A kit (ACR was more robust) with Amt fuse links on charging legs and new bussmann fuse/relay box leg 80 amp. The unit only charges at 50 amps correct?
Up to 120A. Looks like a solid setup. I mounted mine under the hood as well, I just wanted the switch accessible while in the seat, but not necessary. Install will be so much easier with components in that location. Here's some info

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I had one red top and didn't like it. I've had dozens of yellow and blue tops for our work equipment and run them in personal things too. I'm not saying they're the best but they are good for the money(I've got a commercial account at Oreilly) and can be bought off the shelf just about anywhere in the country.

My set up will be similar to my P700 build which is a single yellow top with a heavy wire running to the stock battery location. At the stock battery location, I will have some remote terminals so I don't have a rats nest of wires. I will have a fuse or breaker on the battery for safety. Hey @CumminsPusher, that's funny you mentioned that about jumper cables. My local Oreilly has 2ga jumper cables that are probably 20' long and they are $59.99. I bet I have bought 3 sets in the past because it's cheap wire and like you said, it's got a heavy coating.
Avoiding the Rats Nest of Wires Using Remote Terminals is a great idea as well as the jumper cables. Will you still Run a Dual
Battery Set Up? Can't wait to see your build. So...Get started what are you waiting for? Lol

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Avoiding the Rats Nest of Wires Using Remote Terminals is a great idea as well as the jumper cables. Will you still Run a Dual
Battery Set Up? Can't wait to see your build. So...Get started what are you waiting for? Lol
Just waiting for the parts to come in now! You guys have expensive tastes!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I don't plan on doing a dual battery set up. I like the idea of a dual battery set up, however I am trying to reduce weight on the front of my vehicle and add more capacity for winching. There was a fault with the dual battery set up and using two small batteries. Under real hard winching, my voltage would drop below 11 volts so the winch is not pulling as strong as it could.

When using a battery isolator and two small batteries, The winch would pull the voltage down enough so that the isolator would break the connection between the two batteries and then I was wincing off of only one of the small batteries.

I had the full-size optima battery set up in my pioneer 700 and I did not have voltage drop issues like I do now with the small batteries. For safety concerns, I can carry one of those very small lithium ion jump packs.

As far as getting started, I need to find enough time at home to do this project. I'm currently working in North Carolina and maybe can get back to work on the pioneer this weekend. I've got two projects ahead of the battery project. I still need to finish my foot and firewall protection and then replace a leaking pinion seal on the rear differential.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Great list so far.
I'm surprised no mentioned power dump bed.

Factory ducting with dash and defrost vents that come with fresh air intake and optional connection for A/C and heater. The fresh air intake just provides a cooling breeze while in motion and pressurizes cabin. This is on my to do list.

Electrical connector that provides all the standard taps we need in one place - key-on, headlights, reverse signal etc. I'm sure CP will add about 10 more signals he wants.

Glass windshield with flip open vent in the bottom aluminum section.

Power windows, auto dimming mirror, air conditioned power seats.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't plan on doing a dual battery set up. I like the idea of a dual battery set up, however I am trying to reduce weight on the front of my vehicle and add more capacity for winching. There was a fault with the dual battery set up and using two small batteries. Under real hard winching, my voltage would drop below 11 volts so the winch is not pulling as strong as it could.

When using a battery isolator and two small batteries, The winch would pull the voltage down enough so that the isolator would break the connection between the two batteries and then I was wincing off of only one of the small batteries.

I had the full-size optima battery set up in my pioneer 700 and I did not have voltage drop issues like I do now with the small batteries. For safety concerns, I can carry one of those very small lithium ion jump packs.

As far as getting started, I need to find enough time at home to do this project. I'm currently working in North Carolina and maybe can get back to work on the pioneer this weekend. I've got two projects ahead of the battery project. I still need to finish my foot and firewall protection and then replace a leaking pinion seal on the rear differential.
What I did to combat the low power drop was to run a separate 140amp isolator with the trigger based off of the winch switch. It works well. It now pulls off both batteries

Reactions: joeymt33
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I will 2nd the Air Conditioned Power Seats;)

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great list so far.
I'm surprised no mentioned power dump bed.

Factory ducting with dash and defrost vents that come with fresh air intake and optional connection for A/C and heater. The fresh air intake just provides a cooling breeze while in motion and pressurizes cabin. This is on my to do list.

Electrical connector that provides all the standard taps we need in one place - key-on, headlights, reverse signal etc. I'm sure CP will add about 10 more signals he wants.

Glass windshield with flip open vent in the bottom aluminum section.

Power windows, auto dimming mirror, air conditioned power seats.
Really???? Ya you're right

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!