Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know buddy, me and Delton are just on a roll here lately about giving you a hard time.

I will still continue with a full size battery under the seat. There is still the benefit of the low center of gravity and weight distribution.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I don't plan on doing a dual battery set up. I like the idea of a dual battery set up, however I am trying to reduce weight on the front of my vehicle and add more capacity for winching. There was a fault with the dual battery set up and using two small batteries. Under real hard winching, my voltage would drop below 11 volts so the winch is not pulling as strong as it could.

When using a battery isolator and two small batteries, The winch would pull the voltage down enough so that the isolator would break the connection between the two batteries and then I was wincing off of only one of the small batteries.

I had the full-size optima battery set up in my pioneer 700 and I did not have voltage drop issues like I do now with the small batteries. For safety concerns, I can carry one of those very small lithium ion jump packs.

As far as getting started, I need to find enough time at home to do this project. I'm currently working in North Carolina and maybe can get back to work on the pioneer this weekend. I've got two projects ahead of the battery project. I still need to finish my foot and firewall protection and then replace a leaking pinion seal on the rear differential.
Sounds Interesting. What is your draw with all your accessories at the same time? I do understand that you may not use everything at the same time, but if you did would you be OK as to not starve the Pioneer of power? That was my only concern with running the Optima alone. But my Stereo, Party Lights, Twin 3" Blowers, factory LED Lights, and added spot/flood lights take their toll.

The Combine Feature on my set up allows me to avoid problems while using my Pro Vantage 4500. To test it one night, I came across a Polaris Ranger stuck in the Mud with no occupants. It was dark so I was running all Lights including party lights and the stereo. Being the good Samaritan that i am, I hooked up to the machine and drug it out of the Mud Hole without shutting anything off. While doing so, i watched the battery gauges and they handled it no problem, lights did not dim, nor did it impact the party that was presently underway within THE BEAST. Lol

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It was in the build...I hide nothing even things I should!

Things you should hide? Oh yeah, you get the "crossing the line" picture every now and then.

I say keep it up, you're a good inspiration for folks like me that are looking to go the next step in our build.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sounds Interesting. What is your draw with all your accessories at the same time? I do understand that you may not use everything at the same time, but if you did would you be OK as to not starve the Pioneer of power? That was my only concern with running the Optima alone. But my Stereo, Party Lights, Twin 3" Blowers, factory LED Lights, and added spot/flood lights take their toll.

The Combine Feature on my set up allows me to avoid problems while using my Pro Vantage 4500. To test it one night, I came across a Polaris Ranger stuck in the Mud with no occupants. It was dark so I was running all Lights including party lights and the stereo. Being the good Samaritan that i am, I hooked up to the machine and drug it out of the Mud Hole without shutting anything off. While doing so, i watched the battery gauges and they handled it no problem, lights did not dim, nor did it impact the party that was presently underway within THE BEAST. Lol

I haven't measured the amp draw with all the accessories on. I do know that I can turn on everything I have except winch and keep the voltage around 13 V.

It's not a big problem. It only happened to me a couple times where the winch was pulling hard enough that it was almost stall out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe I should look into keeping the dual battery set up and figuring out a way to connect to the batteries automatically like CP did.

I'll have to go look that information up. If you can give me a little bit info about it that may help.

Reactions: dotman1 and Eltobgi
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The relay requires a positive trigger and a ground which works well with the switch as the winch is reversing and any other way will not work. Just connect the feeds to the switch up to the iso. As soon as you go in or out your batteries connect regardless of what the smart iso does. At higher volts they both connect which is even better

Sent from iPhone

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The relay requires a positive trigger and a ground which works well with the switch as the winch is reversing and any other way will not work. Just connect the feeds to the switch up to the iso. As soon as you go in or out your batteries connect regardless of what the smart iso does. At higher volts they both connect which is even better

Sent from iPhone

Thank you. I will give it some time to make a decision.

It may not be worth the work and cost to convert to a large battery for only the weight distribution and COG.

I can see the battery terms will be getting crowded. ☹️

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you are looking for additional power and killing off about 20 pounds consider looking into these. the only downside is they don't hold juice for huge periods of time but they charge at something like 10 times a lead battery so as soon as vehicle is running they are pretty well charged. You can run them dry 1000's of times. It will not work for a start battery however great for accessory battery because of the charging rate. This is just one I had on watch list to look at when accessory battery dies

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 19395 If you are looking for additional power and killing off about 20 pounds consider looking into these. the only downside is they don't hold juice for huge periods of time but they charge at something like 10 times a lead battery so as soon as vehicle is running they are pretty well charged. You can run them dry 1000's of times. It will not work for a start battery however great for accessory battery because of the charging rate. This is just one I had on watch list to look at when accessory battery dies

What would one of those capacitors do to your alternator? Would have to put out its Max capacity to charge this thing all the time? Or every time it lost some power.

I had two batteries in a truck one time and both of them died. After jump starting the vehicle, the alternator burnt itself up before it charged those batteries.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It charges differently then regular batteries. It takes less effort to charge the same amount if that makes sense. They will hold most of the charge for several days even up to a week but not as long as a regular battery.
I'm not super concerned with nose weight and have enough power for my needs but I'm very hard on accessory batteries as we use lights and stereo when not running so I'll be switching as soon as mine is dead which is soon. It'll be great for me because as soon as dead start the vehicle and a few minutes it'll be fully charged from totally dead. It'll outlast deep cycles for us

Sent from iPhone

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It charges differently then regular batteries. It takes less effort to charge the same amount if that makes sense. They will hold most of the charge for several days even up to a week but not as long as a regular battery.
I'm not super concerned with nose weight and have enough power for my needs but I'm very hard on accessory batteries as we use lights and stereo when not running so I'll be switching as soon as mine is dead which is soon. It'll be great for me because as soon as dead start the vehicle and a few minutes it'll be fully charged from totally dead. It'll outlast deep cycles for us

Sent from iPhone

I get it, it has less energy density than your typical lead acid battery. But it does store enough energy to give a good punch when you need it.

Cool, thank you.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I get it, it has less energy density than your typical lead acid battery. But it does store enough energy to give a good punch when you need it.

Cool, thank you.
I hate suggesting something with out knowing so I 'll tell you what I'll be testing this setup this weekend. Here's the stats.

Dimensions 5.6 - 4.2 - 3.3 inches
The all up weight is just over 2 lb Image

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
its on honda pioneer 1000 riders face book page 500$ plus shipping
That seems like a pretty good deal. Nice setup Shipping will be horrible though.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!