BOX1

P500 Accessorry sub harness description

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi guys. I picked up my wiring harness today and I want to wire up my winch this weekend without having to splice the ignition line. My harness is different than the diagrams and pic that @lee posted.

My green wire bundle has a green and black/white wire. From the wiring diagrams posted and the pic @lee posted it should be a single green wire. The yellow and white bundles look like that contain only 1 wire, the green and red bundles look like they have 2 connectors.

Has Honda replaced the wiring arrangement? Am I dumb and not noticing something?

Basically should I still use the green wire bundle for the winch? Or should I switch to the yellow bundle?

If it helps, the part # on my harness is 08Z08-HL5-A001 (note the 1). I can't find any info on the difference with a non-1 part.

Thanks!

View attachment 297475
Ok I figured out where the thread diagrams came from. They're shots from the respective accessory manuals that reference the sub-harness. If you google "08Z08-HL5-A00 manual pdf" you'll get lot of useful hits, where as you could spend a day looking at "08Z08-HL5-A00" results that are trying to sell you the part.

Just to confirm what I'm seeing in the manuals:
  1. Red is the backup alarm (1 connector) https://www.vividracing.com/productdocs/08V70-HL5-A00.pdf
  2. Yellow is horn (2 connectors) http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08Z71-HL5-A00.pdf
  3. White is lights (2 connectors) http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08Z70-HL5-A00.pdf
  4. Green is winch (1 connector) http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L75-HL5-A01.pdf
Now this is what I see in the actual wiring part I picked up from Honda:
  1. Red is 1 connector (good!)
  2. Yellow is 1 connector (doesn't match manuals! bad!?)
  3. White is 1 connector (good!)
  4. Green is 2 connectors (doesn't match manuals! bad!?)
I don't know if this harness has been mis-labelled. The only thing I worry about is if any in-line fuses are rated differently. The white wire bundle doesn't have anything in it (no fuse) so I don't know if simply swapping Yellow and Green for the winch is safe.

None of the manuals mention what's in the wire bundles, and these colors do not match.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
They may have switched colors @duhmojo On the prior subharness, all four power leads draw off a single 15 amp fuse in the fuse block. Max draw on all four is 180 amps. Thinking same fuse as dash aux plug.

Doesn’t matter about colors, 12v is 12v. Any hot lead is ok for your winch contactor relay (trigger), none are capable to power the actual winch motor.

Don’t know why they eliminated one ground.

@trigger , fyi

Last edited:
Reactions: Pakker and trigger
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks @Mudder. I thought there was an inline fuse in the wire bundle. Some of the bundles (like the white one) feels empty like its just the wires, the others have varying degrees of bulk. The yellow has a hard chunk near the start of the line. I could just be bulky heat shrink all taped up.

I'll just give the Yellow line a shot with the winch this weekend and report back.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Did you unwrap them all to see if single vs double leads? A photo would be good.

duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you unwrap them all to see if single vs double leads? A photo would be good.
Here's a pic with only the green and yellow lines unwrapped. I don't want to have to tape the others up again and you can see the white leads are fatter than the red (2 connectors versus 1 connector). The yellow and green should be flipped in all the material and pics I've seen.

IMG 2936

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is something different in that accessory wire bundle.
Had my head jammed under the hood/frame cross bar but this is what I got:

Branch with green tape = 1 wire, white & black --> female coupler.
Branch with red tape = 1 wire, white & black --> female coupler.
Branch with yellow tape = 2 wires, white & black --> female coupler and green --> male coupler.
Branch with blue tape = 2 wires, white & black --> female coupler and green --> male coupler.

There seams to be quite the pattern here.
It kind of supports what @Mudder is saying, all the wires are off one fuse or a return.

Now I wonder, if I unravel the whole thing are the wires grouped to just 2 circuits? (or is that two legs of one circuit?)

Reactions: Mudwing
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think you meant "Branch with white tape" for the blue tape in your list. I can see the white tape branch in your pic.

Yes it seems like the Yellow and Green on mine are reversed. I'll be wiring it up Saturday and I'll post my results for anyone else that gets this different taped harness I the future.

S

Sledhead27

Apr 14, 2021
Upstate Ny
Ownership

1. 500
Looking for a little help on this topic myself. I purchased the harness and will be getting a winch eventually and installing some backup lights and probably a small 120 watt light bar. My question is how to connect the wires from the lights to the harness? Are the female ends on the harness just like a normal crimp connector? Or do I need to find the male ends and crimp? Or just cut the connector off and use a straight thru crimp connector?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looking for a little help on this topic myself. I purchased the harness and will be getting a winch eventually and installing some backup lights and probably a small 120 watt light bar. My question is how to connect the wires from the lights to the harness? Are the female ends on the harness just like a normal crimp connector? Or do I need to find the male ends and crimp? Or just cut the connector off and use a straight thru crimp connector?

You can get the connectors about anywhere that match up correctly. I would run the power wires back to the battery or a power block though and use the accessory harness only for the switches. That circuit you're tying into is 15 amps total. Using relays is also recommended, most lights come with one already.

C

cmluckie

Feb 14, 2022
Whitehouse, Ohio
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I just wired up reserve pod lights and a light bar to the accessory harness a couple days ago. Rather than try to come up with Honda's weather proof crimp terminals I just cut off the terminals and soldered them into to my lighting harnesses. The male pin contacts are (ground) and the female contacts are switched power (positive). I utilized the horn and work light leads on the harness. As stated, ensure your total current draw is less than 15 amps. I tested my LED light bar and pod lights prior to installation and found that they only draw 7 amps total.

S

Sledhead27

Apr 14, 2021
Upstate Ny
Ownership

1. 500
I just wired up reserve pod lights and a light bar to the accessory harness a couple days ago. Rather than try to come up with Honda's weather proof crimp terminals I just cut off the terminals and soldered them into to my lighting harnesses. The male pin contacts are (ground) and the female contacts are switched power (positive). I utilized the horn and work light leads on the harness. As stated, ensure your total current draw is less than 15 amps. I tested my LED light bar and pod lights prior to installation and found that they only draw 7 amps total.
Thank you! I was just a little confused as to what the connectors were and what the best way to go about connecting to it would be. Unfortunately electrical isn't my strong suit.. but I try to do things on my own as often as possible. I bought pre-made harnesses for the pod lights and and the led light bar so they have the built in relay and fuse etc.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
Darin-5280

Darin-5280

Nov 9, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I want to hook up a sound bar using the harness….. which color should I use? Green?

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!