Added a snorkel/prefilter

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
After buying my Talon and reading the complaints about dirty air filters, I looked at where the air was coming from. I decided to cut a hole in my brand new body work to help the problem. Then I found threads by CID and Lil Steve. That took a lot of guess work for measurements and placement out of my project. I will post some of my pictures and add my comments for clarification. I probably would have taken the complete intake off that starts in the wheel well and ends at the entrance into the dirty air box. And I would have used flex tubing or rubber hose, if I could find one with bends close to my needs.Or maybe 3" hose couplings and 3" pvc angles. Fortunately CID told me the pieces I wanted to remove were part of the tuned intake system. I used the recommended parts that CID used.
The curved Teryex pipe isn't a perfect fit. It really needs two curves to exit the body right. And the rubber hose that clamps it on to the intake is at an angle. It will hold. But for a person that is slightly or more OCD, you may talk to yourself a bit. I used the picture from CID's thread for cutting the hole through my new body panel. I started with a 2 3/8" hole saw. Then I used a large round coarse file (rasp) to shape. My hole is not round. I went as close to some edges as I was comfortable with. Being slightly out of round at that small area won't matter. And it is a perfect tight fit. I doubt water will be able to fit through. I put a UNI filter on it. Right now it has a Walmart plastic bag over it. No rain here in Phoenix for 4 months. But yesterday and today we have buckets falling. I think I may use some 6" DWV or PVC to cover it. Or possibly use some aluminum roll material to make a cover. I am very happy to have a pre filter that is easily accessible for inspection and cleaning. The main filter won't need checking so often now.

2021 01 24

Snorkel 1

Snorkel 2

Snorkel 3

I used tin snips and a rasp to cut the tube down to 3". I used a hack saw and snips to remove enough of the plastic reinforcements below the new rework to allow the 3" rubber hose to fit down far enough for ample contact.
Snorkel 5

Snorkel 6

Here you can see why a double curved piece would be better. The rubber coupler has 1" inserted on this side. And 2" in on the other side.
Snorkel 7

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
You will be happy with it. CID talked me through mine as well. Another rider saving his overpriced air filter! If you want a air filter with a cover for the rainy days, which I know are rare in Phoenix, look at my post "Phil's air intake mod" under Accessories and Modifications and you can see where I used a K&N Filter and made a cover out of a small trash can. But I do have a UNI as well. Where I ride we are in and out of rain from time to time, so I opted a filter I could cover. But I'll run the UNI on dry weekends or rides. Having options is always good.

Reactions: CID
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is a nice looking garbage can. I'm working on too many other things right now. I just hope it doesn't rain until I get back to that project.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is a nice looking garbage can. I'm working on too many other things right now. I just hope it doesn't rain until I get back to that project.
Nice work, Doogle. 👍

About rain - you and I live and ride in arid country, unlike Phil who gets rain regularly. On one of my first rides, it drizzled most of the 4 hours I was out and being in a new ride and super excited, I forgot all about the filter being exposed. :eek: I had zero problems, I think because it's relatively dry behind the passenger's seat - sure some water hits the filter but not enough to matter. What moisture that might get through the foam and into the intake will settle in the bottom of the stock airbox, it'll never get UP to the stock filter (certainly not enough to cause problems). Even Honda knew that 'some' water in the intake is possible - they put a drain in the airbox.

It doesn't matter how much water can get through the hole in the body panel (between the Teryx tube and body), it will just continue on down and out the bottom of the inner body panel (which isn't sealed in any way). Remember that the two vents in the body used for air intake are wide open when it's raining and all that water gets out just fine. That's the same cavity that the snorkel hole in the body panel empties into.

For the curious, HondaBob's snorkel details are in the thread linked in my sig, including part numbers. There are several snorkel choices, I like Bob's the most even though I've seen many since I made my choice.

Honda's stock air intake is wide open to rain intrusion -
I gZ8LJpB L

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Good job, Doogle. I did the same HondaBob air intake system, but took it all the way to the roof, like Bob did. CID's info was very helpful. I am very happy with the set up so far. I think both of my filters will last a long time with minimal attention. I never did enjoy cleaning and oiling filters! I understand what you are saying about the angle coming out of the Honda intake tube. I used a little longer piece of hose than you did. I slit it on one side to slip over the reinforcing web. This lets the hose angle a little on the Honda tube, and it mates with the upper tube a bit better. It isn't perfect, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice work, Doogle. 👍

About rain - you and I live and ride in arid country, unlike Phil who gets rain regularly. On one of my first rides, it drizzled most of the 4 hours I was out and being in a new ride and super excited, I forgot all about the filter being exposed. :eek: I had zero problems, I think because it's relatively dry behind the passenger's seat - sure some water hits the filter but not enough to matter. What moisture that might get through the foam and into the intake will settle in the bottom of the stock airbox, it'll never get UP to the stock filter (certainly not enough to cause problems). Even Honda knew that 'some' water in the intake is possible - they put a drain in the airbox.

It doesn't matter how much water can get through the hole in the body panel (between the Teryx tube and body), it will just continue on down and out the bottom of the inner body panel (which isn't sealed in any way).

I bagged my Uni because we are getting several days of rain right now. It may be our annual week of rain time. I'll come up with a light weight cover soon. My Talon sits outside here in Arizona. It's a few inches too long to fit in my shed.

My reference to my tubing fit being waterproof was just stating how tight my fit is, even though it is rather oblong. The dust chamber below it has more water drains than the drivers flooring.

Reactions: PhilCod and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bagged my Uni because we are getting several days of rain right now. It may be our annual week of rain time. I'll come up with a light weight cover soon. My Talon sits outside here in Arizona. It's a few inches too long to fit in my shed.

My reference to my tubing fit being waterproof was just stating how tight my fit is, even though it is rather oblong. The dust chamber below it has more water drains than the drivers flooring.
Aha, that tight fit is good. Mine wasn't perfectly round either, it's a bit hard when you're only doing ONE. I wouldn't want mine just sitting out in the rain without the filter covered either. 👍

Reactions: Doogle

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!