P1000 Adding a second battery

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
adding a dual battery set up to my pioneer 1000. Which battery should I get. I'm stuck on it. I have every thing else to do the job. Just want the right battery. ( I have a radio I'm adding w 6 speakers. Winch. Inside lights. Few led light bars. An want more power for stuff down the road. What battery do I get? Brand an what size fits in the extra battery spot

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
adding a dual battery set up to my pioneer 1000. Which battery should I get. I'm stuck on it. I have every thing else to do the job. Just want the right battery. ( I have a radio I'm adding w 6 speakers. Winch. Inside lights. Few led light bars. An want more power for stuff down the road. What battery do I get? Brand an what size fits in the extra battery spot
You need to get a battery the same age,size and made for offroad so it can handle the beating it will take. I used a Deka brand battery but I don't remember witch one. I took a picture of the battery that came in the pioneer and showed the guy at the battery store and he matched it. It fit right in perfect. Don't forget that you need to get a battery isolator for it to work how it should. Voltage meters are optional but it is good to have them too. There is a section somewhere on this forum that has instructions on how to do this set up in detail. Good luck

Reactions: CumminsPusher
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
You need to get a battery the same age,size and made for offroad so it can handle the beating it will take. I used a Deka brand battery but I don't remember witch one. I took a picture of the battery that came in the pioneer and showed the guy at the battery store and he matched it. It fit right in perfect. Don't forget that you need to get a battery isolator for it to work how it should. Voltage meters are optional but it is good to have them too. There is a section somewhere on this forum that has instructions on how to do this set up in detail. Good luck
I have the 2 volt meters an isalotor kit

Reactions: Ironworker
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used this battery. It fits well

3665692267f7345e051e3bba5b85b9f6

3240d5b6b822e3f0c9783ce743e198b1

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It works very good. I've had no problems.

Sent from my iPad 7G

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just found this and I will be switching down the road. Its small very easy hookup and uses no power while connecting the two. It'll never allow the start battery to get low in juice even with key on very slick setup. You don't even need to run a wire to the key switch worth a look at leastImageI didn't see at first you did have an iso already but like I said worth a look

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Here is the setup all the parts you need:
L Terminals for Battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QCEQO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Battery: Amazon.com: Odyssey PC925L Drycell Battery: Automotive
Battery Isolator: Amazon.com: 140 Amp Dual Battery Isolator & ATV UTV Wiring Kit by KeyLine Chargers - Voltage Sensitive Relay - VSR: Automotive
Power Distribution Module: Universal Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Panel Cooper Bussmann ATV UTV RV Boat 4X4
That should let you hook up anything you need.

Here is where it all goes with pics:

OEM
OEM

Everything in its place:
Revised PDM location

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Deff loos like a good set up. Just huge an heavy lol awesome set up tho
I used this same set up in my prior sxs and ran 4- 6x9's, 2-8" tower speakers, 2-12" MTX Subwoofers, LED Lighing, etc... For now its a little much, but i like to start with a solid foundation for what ever i decide to do in the future. ;)

D

dillonhart

Jun 10, 2016
shreveport, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when you have a dual battery setup with an isolator......and you want to attach a battery tender/maintainer....would you put the positive to the isolator?

Reactions: dotman1
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does a battery isolator do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically it separates your main battery from the accessory battery that you have your lights stereo winch etc. connected to. When your rig is on it charges both batteries. For example if you are hanging out around a Bon fire drinking beer and listening to old country music the stereo is using the accessory battery and if you were to pass out and wake up the next day the accessory battery will be dead. If that's the case when you go to start the rig the next day to go get food and aspirin it will start right up because the batteries were isolated. The main battery is used for only starting the rig the other is for accessories. Once the rig starts up it will automatically start to charge both batteries.

Reactions: Papaandhistoys
K

KFCK

Jul 20, 2016
usa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Basically it separates your main battery from the accessory battery that you have your lights stereo winch etc. connected to. When your rig is on it charges both batteries. For example if you are hanging out around a Bon fire drinking beer and listening to old country music the stereo is using the accessory battery and if you were to pass out and wake up the next day the accessory battery will be dead. If that's the case when you go to start the rig the next day to go get food and aspirin it will start right up because the batteries were isolated. The main battery is used for only starting the rig the other is for accessories. Once the rig starts up it will automatically start to charge both batteries.

K

KFCK

Jul 20, 2016
usa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do I add an additional battery and isolate with the "Honda SWITCH PLATE HARNESS Part # 0SA30-HL4-100" ?

Just got a SxS10005mD - ordered the switch plate Harness, the "Honda FUSE BOX RELO BKT Part # 0SA30-HL4-100B" relocation bracket, ordered a KFI Winch Kit (Part [HASHTAG]#U4500[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#101285[/HASHTAG]) & Plow Kit (KFI# 105740, 105635 & 105072). I plan on adding a front light bar, rear LED cubes, a dome light and rewire the winch switch into the panel (using www.otrattw.net switches) and a radio into the power mix.

Just wondering if I add an additional battery what isolator should I use and what should I keep in mind so I wire it so it separates the the switch plate harness and radio off the main battery circuit ?

Great Machine and Most Appreciative of any/all advice !

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm honestly not positive on how you can run factory switch plate off of dedicated battery that is something I have not tried as it connects to factory harness. It eliminates ease and use if you do so. Depending on what you hook to that switch plate it's probably not too big of a deal however I would suggest to run minimum equipment off off that and run your big lighting stereo and things you may want to run separately off of a dedicated battery. I do feel the factory setup even being easy to install because it's plug-and-play is very expensive and very limiting.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: sharp
LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with Joey and Jackal. I had a Odyssey in my Rhino and never had a problem with it. Has great reserve. Going with the Odyssey whenever I need another one, either accessory or cranking.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do I add an additional battery and isolate with the "Honda SWITCH PLATE HARNESS Part # 0SA30-HL4-100" ?

Just got a SxS10005mD - ordered the switch plate Harness, the "Honda FUSE BOX RELO BKT Part # 0SA30-HL4-100B" relocation bracket, ordered a KFI Winch Kit (Part [HASHTAG]#U4500[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#101285[/HASHTAG]) & Plow Kit (KFI# 105740, 105635 & 105072). I plan on adding a front light bar, rear LED cubes, a dome light and rewire the winch switch into the panel (using www.otrattw.net switches) and a radio into the power mix.

Just wondering if I add an additional battery what isolator should I use and what should I keep in mind so I wire it so it separates the the switch plate harness and radio off the main battery circuit ?

Great Machine and Most Appreciative of any/all advice !
I used the TRUE brand isolator with dual voltage battery meters.

Reactions: Swhite316
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!