P1000 Adding LED Lights

A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Adding 2 rear and 2 front LED lights can some share wiring suggestions, switch type/choice and suggested switch mounting locations. Is it best to go to fusebox or directly to battery. Lots of pictures would be helpful also. My plan is to use a separate switch for both sets of lights
Thanks for the help.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hook the two rear to the wiring harness already there for the backup alarm. They will only come on when you put it in reverse.

Reactions: GlockMeister
A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hook the two rear to the wiring harness already there for the backup alarm. They will only come on when you put it in reverse.
No backup alarm on my 2016 I want these lights to be used for loading and dressing deer and elk after an evening hunt that is why I need them on a switch. Thanks

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don't know what kind of LEDs your talking about but I guess it doesn't matter. It's all the same.

I would buy a relay and run a wire from your fuse box to it to power the switch side of the relay.

Then I would run some nice thick wire from my +/- to my relays +/- ports.

Then you have a + side that runs to your switch (whatever style you want)

Then you run a ground from your switch to the battery or frame.

Then run your + from switch to accessory (light)

Then run a - from your accessory (light) either to the battery or frame.

Then drink beer.

Also insert random beers periodically throughout the steps

I have rock lights, and while they can look flashy and cool, I find them extremely useful in the dark. Not so much for navigation, but more for stuff like seeing the ground before you step into a pothole, or puddle, or mud hole. Maybe for working on certain aspects like brakes or axles.

Anyways, there's a pretty easy write-up on how to tap fuse box, and the relays should come with instructions. It's idiot proof, you just gotta dive in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: elkguide
A

angus56

Nov 14, 2016
North Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know what kind of LEDs your talking about but I guess it doesn't matter. It's all the same.

I would buy a relay and run a wire from your fuse box to it to power the switch side of the relay.

Then I would run some nice thick wire from my +/- to my relays +/- ports.

Then you have a + side that runs to your switch (whatever style you want)

Then you run a ground from your switch to the battery or frame.

Then run your + from switch to accessory (light)

Then run a - from your accessory (light) either to the battery or frame.

Then drink beer.

Also insert random beers periodically throughout the steps

I have rock lights, and while they can look flashy and cool, I find them extremely useful in the dark. Not so much for navigation, but more for stuff like seeing the ground before you step into a pothole, or puddle, or mud hole. Maybe for working on certain aspects like brakes or axles.

Anyways, there's a pretty easy write-up on how to tap fuse box, and the relays should come with instructions. It's idiot proof, you just gotta dive in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Gonna give it a try never been accused of being an electricIan or close to it. Last thing I want to do is smoke something. Yes beer will be part of the installation. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!