P1000m5 Adding synthetic rope to wire for lifting plow

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i want to add 9-10 ‘ of synthetic rope to my winch without removing wire cable for lifting my plow. Is this doable? Or do I need to remove the wire cable?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any burrs on the steel cable will tear up the synthetic rope and I doubt you could get a strong enough connection that would wrap around the drum without hitting the lateral winch drum supports.

I'd remove the whole steel cable and switch to synthetic for use year round

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You can do anything you want. But I can't see why you would want to do this for?
I don't recommend it
I'm with Todd and ropes are not expensive

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually did this with a 6 foot piece of flat tow strap from harbor freight. Just make sure you have enough room on your spool. But like everyone has said the synthetic rope is a great upgrade. I even use the flat strap with it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!