P1000m5 Additional things to do when installing the DEI heat kit shield

J

johndduvall

Jul 22, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before the DEI installation, all of the large Honda rubber shields were removed. Also installed a 7 inch fan under the passenger side seat to blow air against the exhaust header. The fan has a rheostat switch to control fan speed. Along with the DEI sheilds, other panels and doors had heat shields applied. Some shielding was also installed under the bed and above the exhaust header. Please look at the pictures to get a better idea of the mods. I prepared a "Before" and "After" temperature comparison form. Note: the recorded temperatures was with the exhaust header fan OFF. An AMES IR thermometer was used to read temps.

Some of the mods may not hold up to mudding and dune jumping but for normal trail riding it should be fine.
Hope this helps someone with the cabin heat problem.
Backing1
Backing3
Backing4
Under bed
Pionner Cabin Tems

Backing1

Attachments

• backing2.JPG
    backing2.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before the DEI installation, all of the large Honda rubber shields were removed. Also installed a 7 inch fan under the passenger side seat to blow air against the exhaust header. The fan has a rheostat switch to control fan speed. Along with the DEI sheilds, other panels and doors had heat shields applied. Some shielding was also installed under the bed and above the exhaust header. Please look at the pictures to get a better idea of the mods. I prepared a "Before" and "After" temperature comparison form. Note: the recorded temperatures was with the exhaust header fan OFF. An AMES IR thermometer was used to read temps.

Some of the mods may not hold up to mudding and dune jumping but for normal trail riding it should be fine.
Hope this helps someone with the cabin heat problem.View attachment 145043 View attachment 145045 View attachment 145046 View attachment 145047 View attachment 145048

View attachment 145043

So it looks like all of the temps went up???

J

johndduvall

Jul 22, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it looks like all of the temps went up???
Sorry for any confusion. I was not comparing temps before and after the modification. I was only comparing the "cold start" temperatures vs the "after driving" temps following the modifications. From reading other posts on different sites, the "after" temps are much lower than the Honda rubber inner tube fix. In one instance the right rear passenger could not keep their feet on the floor board because of the intense heat. I recorded only 101 degrees. My next measurements will be before and after on the trails, up steep hills, etc. My P1000K-5 is so much cooler now.

Reactions: coues52
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok. So the BEFORE is "cold" temps.
I see now since the air temp is 85.

We were looking for before and after on operating temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

J

johndduvall

Jul 22, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. So the BEFORE is "cold" temps.
I see now since the air temp is 85.

We were looking for before and after on operating temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Then look on the "after" side of the chart. For example, the front seat bottom, right side (passenger) cold temp was 86 degrees. After the test run, it was 89 degrees. It had increased only 3 degrees. To me, that's a huge improvement over the Honda inner tube fix.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a few comments on the Pioneer 1000 heat problem. I installed insulation under the P3 seat, removed the front doors, and now the heat is very bearable. I may need a fan at some point, but I think we'll be good without one. I have yet to test it on a really dusty trail, but dust beats the extreme temps we had. BTW, I unfortunately have a full, Honda, glass windshield, and that was a big mistake. The full windshield prevents enough air circulation to assist in cooling the cab for those of you who have not experienced the problem.

Thanks for all the input on the forums......... it's a great help on a lot of things.

advertisement
C

coues52

Apr 2, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
where did you buy the shielding P/N etc..that was a great idea..I have the DEI shielding now but still super hot ( also have the 4"bilge pump. blower ..but just ordered the 7" fan from Amazon ).I also have the Honda Glass windshield.. any thought for that ?...thank you for posting ..Danny B

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
where did you buy the shielding P/N etc..that was a great idea..I have the DEI shielding now but still super hot ( also have the 4"bilge pump. blower ..but just ordered the 7" fan from Amazon ).I also have the Honda Glass windshield.. any thought for that ?...thank you for posting ..Danny B
I've looked for my order info on Ebay and Amazon, but it must have been deleted by now. I notice on Amazon if you search on "Insulation Roll" a lot of options are displayed. The roll I bought was shinny on one side and sticky on the other, and I would have preferred shinny on both sides. I notice that a lot of the insulation states it is double bubble which makes me think it's like bubble wrap, and mine has a foam backer about 3/8" in thick. I don't think you'd want the bubble type since they would pop and you'd loose the insulation value. BTW, I got my order info from this forum, and if you search you may find the specific info.

What I bought was less that $30, and it was in a roll about 4' by 10' from China. By far the biggest improvement I got was from removing the doors on my P3 - 4 bolts and they are off. It's fall and I'll put them back on for the season, but that will be a 15 minute, easy task. This fall the heat may be welcomed - hard to believe.

I would be very interested to know specifically what fans you have ordered and how they worked out for you. I may add a fan if I can figure out what my best option is. It would be great if we could figure out how to leave the doors on and still have the heat bearable.

I think a full windshield is a mistake. Although it is high quality, it just adds to the heat problem. I haven't found any relief from the added heat caused by the full windshield, and I doubt that there is a good solution.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Products
Or similar
The Thermo - Guard FR and the heat Guard are what I used. Comparable products can be found doing an Amazon search. I would also stay away from the bubble wrap type heat barrier. Use an automotive type heat prevention product. Or you could contact Trojan and get some condom rubber like Honda did for under the seat!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I noticed that the original post mentioned having a rheostat control on his 7" fan, and I'm wondering if this is beneficial. I'm about to order either a 7" or 10" fan, and I'm wondering if I should order a rheostat too. If so, and suggestions on the specifics on the rheostat would be very welcome. I'm running with one battery, and the battery draw is in the back of my mind. Any recommendation on which size fan would also be helpful.

Reactions: coues52

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!