BOX1

Air filter hold down hardware

496blazer

Feb 13, 2021
San Martin,Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
Decided to inspect the air filter on my 2021 Talon tonight and noticed one of the bolts that holds the air filter in place wouldn't tighten up when I put it back together. Can someone please confirm all the mounting bolts are supposed to thread into the captured metal inserts in the air box assembly? Mine has one hole with no metal threaded insert, just plastic. Looks like a defective air box.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Post #12 linked in my sig shows several of those captured nuts, maybe one of them (by luck) will be the one you show missing - that would confirm it for sure. Yes, all should have captured nuts. obtw; don't lose the hat washers under each bolt, most aren't captured - I dropped 'several' before I figured out where the tink, tink, tink noise was coming from. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing

496blazer

Feb 13, 2021
San Martin,Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
Post #12 linked in my sig shows several of those captured nuts, maybe one of them (by luck) will be the one you show missing - that would confirm it for sure. Yes, all should have captured nuts. obtw; don't lose the hat washers under each bolt, most aren't captured - I dropped 'several' before I figured out where the tink, tink, tink noise was coming from. :rolleyes:

Sure enough, your photo shows the metal insert where mine is missing! Man, if that rattled loose it would have went through the engine with catastrophic results. I'm disappointed. Even more bummed I have to take it to the dealer and have someone take it apart to change the air box. Hopefully I don't get a hack.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sure enough, your photo shows the metal insert where mine is missing! Man, if that rattled loose it would have went through the engine with catastrophic results. I'm disappointed. Even more bummed I have to take it to the dealer and have someone take it apart to change the air box. Hopefully I don't get a hack.
Try this. Go to your dealer, tell them what is going on and ask them for a filter assembly takeoff from when they installed a Turbo. If they have one, they may just give it to you to avoid the entire warranty hassle and that way you can install it yourself with confidence.

My dealer has accommodated me in similar fashion a couple times. Never hurts to ask.

496blazer

Feb 13, 2021
San Martin,Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
Try this. Go to your dealer, tell them what is going on and ask them for a filter assembly takeoff from when they installed a Turbo. If they have one, they may just give it to you to avoid the entire warranty hassle and that way you can install it yourself with confidence.

My dealer has accommodated me in similar fashion a couple times. Never hurts to ask.
Our dealer that I purchased the Talon through is pretty small so I'm not sure they would have any lying around. I can ask though.

I've thought about this and have decided to just run it without the one fastener. It will not affecting the sealing capability since the filter sits very flat and has a ton of fasteners to begin with. I will replace the air box when there is a reason to pull it apart, or when I decide to add a turbo. Being a former mech tech, I really don't like others working on my stuff unless I have no choice.

Reactions: Udaman and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!