P500 Air filter

J

Jdurbin

Oct 14, 2015
How do I go about removing the air filter? I've taken the cover off, loosened the clamp, but it doesn't want to budge. There is a plastic piece above it. Should that be removed first? If so, how? Am I being too soft on it? I don't want to break it. Also I've noticed that it needs to be greased after it's been cleaned. What kind of grease should I use?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes, remove the black plastic piece. The filter will most likely come out with it. You need to buy foam filter oil. Just a light coat on the outside. The grocery bag method works great.

J

Jdurbin

Oct 14, 2015
Yes, remove the black plastic piece. The filter will most likely come out with it. You need to buy foam filter oil. Just a light coat on the outside. The grocery bag method works great.
It just pulls right out?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It just pulls right out?
Yep.
Full

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
What exactly is the "grocery bag" method for those of us that are not familiar with it?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It's just a trick to oil a filter without making a mess.

Step one... The most important step!
You need to go to the grocery store and pick up a 6 pack. Now you have a plastic grocery bag.

Next. Pour or spray some foam filter oil inside the grocery bag. You need enough to get on the bag walls but not so much it puddles up.

Next insert clean dry filter. Lightly rub the oil from the bag walls onto the filter leaving a light coat. Be sure to get it all coated

Remove filter.
Done.

The spray works fine just using it alone. But you have to be careful not to over concentrate it. Grocery bag method helps with this to insure a full coat.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah you left that part out. Surely drink them all while doing the grocery bag method seems to make sense to me.

Reactions: bobbyhill
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Yeah you left that part out. Surely drink them all while doing the grocery bag method seems to make sense to me.
I couldn't drink 6 beers and still "function" and I surely could never drink them that fast.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I couldn't drink 6 beers and still "function" and I surely could never drink them that fast.
Well your status with a six pack as a HONDASXS "Red Rider" is still amature. :p A few thirsty with us trips in August heat we can see if you make Pro :D.

Bottoms Up:cool:

advertisement
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
the bag method must be why some guys clean there air filter after every ride!!:D

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Well your status with a six pack as a HONDASXS "Red Rider" is still amature. :p A few thirsty with us trips in August heat we can see if you make Pro :D.

Bottoms Up:cool:
Lol, thanks. I just try not to drink too much. Working in the Emergency Room cures you of a lot of habits. Too many memories.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Lol, thanks. I just try not to drink too much. Working in the Emergency Room cures you of a lot of habits. Too many memories.
Very True, just because you hold a beer doesn't mean you have to be "that guy" who says hold my beer and watch this. Used as a refreshment and not liquid courage requires juris prudence.

Reactions: hambone
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I know this is a old thread.What is the best way to clean the foam filter? Stuff from the store or soap and water??

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I know this is a old thread.What is the best way to clean the foam filter? Stuff from the store or soap and water??
I fill a bucket with warm water & Dawn dish soap(cuts the grease/oil). Stick the filter in the said soapy solution and shake like crazy.....repeat as necessary. Rinse with clean water and air dry.

Reactions: sgerksinwi
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had traditionally used gasoline, wring and rinse out until clean, let it dry then re-oil using a plastic bag to keep hands clean.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had traditionally used gasoline, wring and rinse out until clean, let it dry the re-oil using a plastic bag to keep hands clean.
I will also use gasoline if the filter is EXTREMELY dirty but I try to keep it to a minimum. Gas can degrade the filter & glue used to bond the material together.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I will also use gasoline if the filter is EXTREMELY dirty but I try to keep it to a minimum. Gas can degrade the filter & glue used to bond the material together.
If I keep a machine a long time, I just replace rhe foam element every 5 years or so. Long before they start to fall apart, heck my Honda ATC's the gas tank rusted out from condensation before anything else failed.

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!