All Around Tire Recomendations for Sand to Hardpacked

S

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am looking for recomendations for a all around tire. I'm going with 30-10x15's. I run everything from deep sand to hard packed trails. I rarely if ever get into deep mud mostly fire roads jeep trails and the dunes.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you’re a high mileage rider, consider a LT tire, they’re cheap and will last forever. Pick something with a tread pattern to your liking, open tread for looser conditions, more street pattern for longer life. The LT downside is that they can (probably) ride stiffer than an OHV specific tire. I’m running the BFG K02 in 30”. They’re getting great mileage but, admittedly, ride could be better. They have a square tread profile, lots of ‘rubber down’ accounts for their wearability.

I ran the Chicane RX OHV tire in 30” previously, a more rounded profile and more aggressive tread. Their downside was higher wear - 5700 miles for 6 tires (2 fronts, 4 rears).

Another thing to consider, the R rides considerably better than an X, so a LT tire on an X might ride pretty harsh.

Tires are temporary, buy something you like, buy something different next time.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I am looking for recomendations for a all around tire. I'm going with 30-10x15's. I run everything from deep sand to hard packed trails. I rarely if ever get into deep mud mostly fire roads jeep trails and the dunes.
Check out the Tusk Terrabite. While I just recently put a set of 30x10x15s on the Pioneer, everything I read/watched pointed to a great tire in everything except deep mud. I think it's about as close to an LT as you can get with a UTV tire without being an LT tire. I went with the 10 ply Aramids with bead-to-bead coverage. FWIW, the 30x10x15 measures 29" tall.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check out the Tusk Terrabite. While I just recently put a set of 30x10x15s on the Pioneer, everything I read/watched pointed to a great tire in everything except deep mud. I think it's about as close to an LT as you can get with a UTV tire without being an LT tire. I went with the 10 ply Aramids with bead-to-bead coverage. FWIW, the 30x10x15 measures 29" tall.
Good tire for the price, but if you will be using beadlocks i would suggest some research

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Good tire for the price, but if you will be using beadlocks i would suggest some research
Running the 30x10x15 Terrabite Aramid 10-ply on Tusk Unita 15x7 beadlocks. We shall see, I suppose. Most of what I found on that specific combo was positive - and I'm often accused by my family and friends of 'over researching'.

One might say if you're going to run ANY tire using beadlocks, you should do some research, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There have been numerous reports here of inconsistent bead widths on individual Terrabites that were too thin to seal with a bead lock wheel. That’s the only reason I’m not running them right now. I’m not someone who enjoys chasing leaking tires - check oil, add fuel, ride.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
There have been numerous reports here of inconsistent bead widths on individual Terrabites that were too thin to seal with a bead lock wheel. That’s the only reason I’m not running them right now. I’m not someone who enjoys chasing leaking tires - check oil, add fuel, ride.
Thanks for the 411. I'll keep a close eye on things. 🤙

A

aarondvm

Oct 8, 2022
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I run 33"x10x15 Terrabites on Tusk Unitas on my Talon with no real problems sealing. I had one that had a slow leak initially, but you need to retorque the ring every 50 miles to 200 miles. After the second retorque it stopped. I've hade this set for about a year now and rarely need to add air.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I run 33"x10x15 Terrabites on Tusk Unitas on my Talon with no real problems sealing. I had one that had a slow leak initially, but you need to retorque the ring every 50 miles to 200 miles. After the second retorque it stopped. I've hade this set for about a year now and rarely need to add air.

Thanks, @aarondvm. Will be following all the instructions (how often to check torque) that came with these wheels for sure. They are my first beadlock weeks on any type of vehicle, and I figured RMATV should be able to design a tire that fits properly on a wheel they also designed.

If not, then I live and learn, and buy new tires.

Maybe I'm not a good searcher, but I didn't find much on the forums with a quick search. I did find a few references when searching "terrabite", but mostly unrelated to leaks.

But like I said, if I have issues, this is how I learn. :)

Reactions: ChadD and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, @aarondvm. Will be following all the instructions (how often to check torque) that came with these wheels for sure. They are my first beadlock weeks on any type of vehicle, and I figured RMATV should be able to design a tire that fits properly on a wheel they also designed.

If not, then I live and learn, and buy new tires.

Maybe I'm not a good searcher, but I didn't find much on the forums with a quick search. I did find a few references when searching "terrabite", but mostly unrelated to leaks.

View attachment 383384

But like I said, if I have issues, this is how I learn. :)
There was one particularly good thread about the Terrabite’s bead thickness (no idea how to find it). The gap in a bead lock wheel should be an industry standard, let’s say 15mm (just a guess). In that thread, new Terrabite’s were measuring ~16mm, that’s not enough clamping force to keep them from leaking. This is an old memory, but it’s the gist of what was discussed. I hope you got a good set - I believe the Terrabite is a great bang for the buck.

Reactions: ChadD and Scoop
S

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
At this point I'm leaning towards the BFG KM3 UTV tires. I had the LT version on my old buggy with bead locks and had no problem with leaking. I have heard that the TerraBites have problems leaking when mounted on beadlock wheels due to inconsistant bead size on the tire.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I heard the KM3's are pretty good, too. Looking forward to hearing your experiences over the coming months/years.

If you're into the mud more often, the KM3's are a better choice. That's not my target, so it's one of the reasons I went with the Aramids. Also preferred the 10-ply over the 8-ply.

The KM3 UTVs were only $4 more per tire, so cost wasn't really a factor for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
At this point I'm leaning towards the BFG KM3 UTV tires. I had the LT version on my old buggy with bead locks and had no problem with leaking. I have heard that the TerraBites have problems leaking when mounted on beadlock wheels due to inconsistant bead size on the tire.
If I live long enough, I want to try the OHV KM3 to see if they ride better than the K02 but, holy crap, they’re almost twice as expensive - $174 vs $3xx. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: ChadD and Remington
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
There was one particularly good thread about the Terrabite’s bead thickness (no idea how to find it).
Thanks. If there were issues, I'm hoping that they've made improvements over the time they've been producing it. We shall see!

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I also would like to go to a lite truck tire like BFG on my 16 pioneer 1000, but dont really want to using spacers so what size of rims do I need ?

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome, cngrats on your first post. Dont forget to post pics of your rig to keep the masses of your back, or you’ll be un violation!
Pics It It Didnt Happen!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!