Alternator or battery?

gauspohl4305

gauspohl4305

Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X
So this past weekend while doing some night riding I noticed my lightbar would almost dim down for a second then come back full strength. I am running the dual battery setup with all accessories running off secondary battery. The only additional accessory I'm running off the main battery is Chupacabra led cubes for the headlights. I was running my 40" rough country dual row lightbar, tusk seat heater (only 1 seat), and wicked Pecker Off-road heater. Watching my dual volt meter, I noticed my secondary battery would drop to roughly 10.8 volts and primary would drop to roughly 11 volts as the voltages were fluctuating quit a bit. I turned all the accessories off except the light bar and turned off my brights on the headlights and still noticed the sporadic dimming and voltage all over the place. I also have a torque locker so not sure if that eliminates any additional power required since I'm not utilizing the i-4WD. Would this be a sign of the primary battery starting to fail? Any thoughts, I have checked all wiring and no loose connections that I can find.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
need pics of your rig, you may be asking for someone else , need proof u own this

need pics of isolator\battery\etc....

describe voltage jumping around, when sitting, when bouncing around, etc....

advice to check

-main positive wire rubbing somewhere
-loose\corroded ground
-voltage idling with nothing on, voltage idling with everything on = both batteries
-have both batteries tested
-failing\cracked positive post going to ground

if u have everything off, and both batteries are still doing it, its something common

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So this past weekend while doing some night riding I noticed my lightbar would almost dim down for a second then come back full strength. I am running the dual battery setup with all accessories running off secondary battery. The only additional accessory I'm running off the main battery is Chupacabra led cubes for the headlights. I was running my 40" rough country dual row lightbar, tusk seat heater (only 1 seat), and wicked Pecker Off-road heater. Watching my dual volt meter, I noticed my secondary battery would drop to roughly 10.8 volts and primary would drop to roughly 11 volts as the voltages were fluctuating quit a bit. I turned all the accessories off except the light bar and turned off my brights on the headlights and still noticed the sporadic dimming and voltage all over the place. I also have a torque locker so not sure if that eliminates any additional power required since I'm not utilizing the i-4WD. Would this be a sign of the primary battery starting to fail? Any thoughts, I have checked all wiring and no loose connections that I can find.
Test batteries?

Reactions: FJC 79 and Smittyp
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have you tested both batteries? If they're good then maybe check grounds...??

We need a little more info on the machine though..... POIDH!!!😂

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!