Dual Battery Best Practices/Suggestions

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Can you clarify 86 and 87 for me? Is 86 key on power? What is spare ignition active ground?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you clarify 86 and 87 for me? Is 86 key on power? What is spare ignition active ground?
86 is key on power. The spare ignition activated ground is superfluous, wired in the kit, and not needed. You'll have one wire on 87, direct to the VM common.

Reactions: Scoop
Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
ok, looks like this? I think I got it. Thanks for your help everyone!!!

IMG 5716

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
but to answer
1 - either, but recommend the aux. really it doesn't matter seeing its such a low draw item.
2 - yes, blue key-on connector or other source is fine.
3 - yes, the wire that says "stinger" is the relay control wire.

Thanks.
but to answer
1 - either, but recommend the aux. really it doesn't matter seeing its such a low draw item.
2 - yes, blue key-on connector or other source is fine.
3 - yes, the wire that says "stinger" is the relay control wire.

Thanks.
When installing the on-off-on switch if you hook up to the Aux battery, the key off power only works while the isolator is blue and powered. When it turns off so does the power. With my setup, when I wired the switch to the main battery (instead of aux battery) it works as it should.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When installing the on-off-on switch if you hook up to the Aux battery, the key off power only works while the isolator is blue and powered.

All the isolator does is connect or disconnect the two batteries in parallel based on source voltage cut-in and cut-out values.

If you are drawing accessory power for the key-off state operation from either battery, you're going to get ~12V from either battery regardless of the state of the isolator.

My DPDT switch is powered by the AUX battery for powering the relay/fuse box when in the key-off state position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillbillytnt
Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
All the isolator does is connect or disconnect the two batteries in parallel based on source voltage cut-in and cut-out values.

If you are drawing accessory power for the key-off state operation from either battery, you're going to get ~12V from either battery regardless of the state of the isolator.

My DPDT switch is powered by the AUX battery for powering the relay/fuse box when in the key-off state position.
🤷🏻‍♂️ mine would work for about 30 seconds and turn off when the isolator light went out. Ran to main battery to power the switch and it works. I used a on/off relay to turn off the main battery voltmeter when power off so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Regardless, won’t use key off power very often so power draw will be minimal.

Thanks for all the knowledge and expertise 👍🏻

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
🤷🏻‍♂️ mine would work for about 30 seconds and turn off when the isolator light went out. Ran to main battery to power the switch and it works. I used a on/off relay to turn off the main battery voltmeter when power off so not sure if that has something to do with it.

Regardless, won’t use key off power very often so power draw will be minimal.

Thanks for all the knowledge and expertise 👍🏻
Then something else is not wired correctly.

NP. If it works for you, that's all that matters!

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!