Dual USB charger

Q

Quetico

Apr 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Does this directly fit in/replace the existing Talon accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet?

G

Gohonda2

Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t know. I plan to add one to my talon but I’ll be keeping the accessory plug in place and installing the usb in a different location.

Reactions: Smittyp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does this directly fit in/replace the existing Talon accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet?

Yup. But you will have to run your own wires
Its the same one I got in my talon in the same spot

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wanted an always Hot cig plug for the GPS and put it by the passenger's knee. It's under the dash, so protected from rain. I also put a switch on it so I could turn if off when washing etc. I'll be adding a dual USB like you posted in the near future, same area.

I NVzgZXF XL

It has a latch so the plug can't undo itself during the ride -
I vLLVQxR XL

It's pretty simple -
I r2npJxF XL

There's another spot just left of the glovebox but it's more exposed to water. I put my dual VM there, same size hole -
I GpKW4kM XL

Q

Quetico

Apr 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Cool, let me know. I have a couple other things in my cart; I can send the order through in the morning.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why not get a 2 port USB charger that drops into the 12v port, instead of removing a power port to install a power port?

I have used something similar to this for nearly 3 years now, without any issues, to power a both tablet & a GPS.

Q

Quetico

Apr 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
What is the “12V port” you’re referring to?

my thought was I don’t plan to run anything that will use a cig lighter, so why not replace that outlet with the dual usb?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

my thought was I don’t plan to run anything that will use a cig lighter, so why not replace that outlet with the dual usb?
Try the link in the previous post.

It plugs into your cig lighter (the 12V port - old folks still call it a cigarette lighter because that's what it used to be) and gives you 2 USB ports. You can pull it out and use as a standard 12V port any time you need.

This is the one I have (used in many vehicles): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NDTVJV?tag=sxsweb24-20

(I do install dedicated dual USB charging ports in many of my vehicles).

Q

Quetico

Apr 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Ah, gotcha. Didn’t see the hyperlink there. Yeah, that may just be easiest for the time being.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can also get a 2-usb port that fits in the spot of a rocker switch, in case this is news to anyone. :)

(ha, just saw dirtstiff's post showed one. More info to follow...)

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

20220820 113818

Redneck AC's use cig plugs. A must have in the SE.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wanted an always Hot cig plug for the GPS and put it by the passenger's knee. It's under the dash, so protected from rain. I also put a switch on it so I could turn if off when washing etc. I'll be adding a dual USB like you posted in the near future, same area.

View attachment 349973

It has a latch so the plug can't undo itself during the ride -
View attachment 349974

It's pretty simple -
View attachment 349975

There's another spot just left of the glovebox but it's more exposed to water. I put my dual VM there, same size hole -
View attachment 349976
What does a "duel VM" provide over a single? Yours is showing a 0.2 difference. Under what condition(s) would it show more than that? Thanks!!!!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
What does a "duel VM" provide over a single? Yours is showing a 0.2 difference. Under what condition(s) would it show more than that? Thanks!!!!
When you run a dual battery system with an isolator, the dual voltmeter allows you to view the voltage of each battery independent of one another.

Historically, you add an auxiliary (second) battery and power all your accessories from that. The isolator ensures that, if you run that aux battery down, it won't run the primary battery down like it would if you simply had the batteries connected in parallel. By not running the primary battery down, you don't have to worry about not being able to start your machine and get home (and start to recharge the aux battery) if you spend a lot of time running accessories (e.g., radios, lights) when the machine is NOT running.

Reactions: CID and BobFarrell
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
When you run a dual battery system with an isolator, the dual voltmeter allows you to view the voltage of each battery independent of one another.

Historically, you add an auxiliary (second) battery and power all your accessories from that. The isolator ensures that, if you run that aux battery down, it won't run the primary battery down like it would if you simply had the batteries connected in parallel. By not running the primary battery down, you don't have to worry about not being able to start your machine and get home (and start to recharge the aux battery) if you spend a lot of time running accessories (e.g., radios, lights) when the machine is NOT running.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Reactions: Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!