Dual Battery Best Practices/Suggestions

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I have seen some setups run an isolator to the 2nd battery > 2nd battery to continuous duty solenoid (CTS) > CTS to accessory fuse box > accessory fuse box to accessories. There is key-on power running to the CTS to make the circuit when key on. Any issues with this setup? Or better solutions out there? I guess I could run an off/on switch in place of the solenoid, but I prefer everything cut off when key off. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have seen some setups run an isolator to the 2nd battery > 2nd battery to continuous duty solenoid (CTS) > CTS to accessory fuse box > accessory fuse box to accessories. There is key-on power running to the CTS to make the circuit when key on. Any issues with this setup? Or better solutions out there? I guess I could run an off/on switch in place of the solenoid, but I prefer everything cut off when key off. Open to suggestions. Thanks.
That is exactly the way many members install their AUX battery/isolator/fuse panel.

I would maybe suggest a DPDT Carling switch from the Club store so you can switch between energizing the fuse panel only with the key and energizing the fuse panel (manually) with the key off. There is also a neutral position.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is exactly the way many members install their AUX battery/isolator/fuse panel.

I would maybe suggest a DPDT Carling switch from the Club store so you can switch between energizing the fuse panel only with the key and energizing the fuse panel (manually) with the key off. There is also a neutral position.
I have to agree with Scoop :eek:, there may be times you want the accessories hot with the key off. The additional switch is worth the effort.

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

How

I have to agree with Scoop :eek:, there may be times you want the accessories hot with the key off. The additional switch is worth the effort.
What does the wiring look like to add it?

Reactions: Smitty335
Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
So if I understand this correctly, instead of running key on power directly to the solenoid, you run KOP to the DPDT switch and run the red wire in the diagram to the solenoid? It says Stinger but I assume that’s just a relay solenoid (continuous) in between the battery and the fuse box?

The switch has an on (manual), off (manual), neutral (key on power)?

Do I have it right?

IMG 5580

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So if I understand this correctly, instead of running key on power directly to the solenoid, you run KOP to the DPDT switch and run the red wire in the diagram to the solenoid? It says Stinger but I assume that’s just a relay solenoid (continuous) in between the battery and the fuse box?

Do I have it right?

View attachment 398820

This is how I have mine wired.

Reactions: Scoop and ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

Do I have it right?
Ed Zachary.

They switch position determines if and when power flows to the relay, be it only when the key is on or from the battery itself (plus the neutral position, which means no power to relay). They relay then energizes the fuse panel (or whatever you decide to use downstream from the relay).

Yes, the Stinger is the CD relay. Quote a few people reported issues with the Stinger, including the unit simply failing as well as it freezing up when temp falls below 32F. I recommend the Cole Hersee 24117 marine rated relay if you can find one. They are in short supply right now and about $15 more than what I paid for one ~2 years ago. They used to be everywhere for $35 or so. I just boug ordered one on 01 AUG and it cost ~$47 delivered from oreillyauto.com. I also noticed that the one I received was made in Mexico now, whereas the one I bought for the Pioneer in 2021 was US made. It was not red, despite the picture and description. It is now rated at 85A instead of 65A like my first one, although I have note tested that yet. Here is a link to the item where I ordered it from.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you don't want to run a fuse panel and separate relays (for each accessory that needs one), you can use an Auxbeam 8-gang switch unit. The Auxbeam unit is compact and, once installed, makes wiring new accessories a breeze, as it has 8 relays and fuses internal to the unit. After installing, all you need to do for each accessory is run power & ground to the Auxbeam power unit.

If/How you run a CD relay/key-on/DPDT switch to power the Auxbeam is still up to you. I actually have both on my Pioneer, as I found out about the Auxbeam after wiring up most things the other way. My '23 Talon will start with just the Auxbeam (and CD/key-on/DPDT switch) and only use standard Carling switches & relays if absolutely necessary.

Auxbeam panel on Amazon (also available on our Club store - it costs a little more there, but it does support these forums)

Extension cable for panel if needed

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
If you don't want to run a fuse panel and separate relays (for each accessory that needs one), you can use an Auxbeam 8-gang switch unit. The Auxbeam unit is compact and, once installed, makes wiring new accessories a breeze, as it has 8 relays and fuses internal to the unit. After installing, all you need to do for each accessory is run power & ground to the Auxbeam power unit.

If/How you run a CD relay/key-on/DPDT switch to power the Auxbeam is still up to you. I actually have both on my Pioneer, as I found out about the Auxbeam after wiring up most things the other way. My '23 Talon will start with just the Auxbeam (and CD/key-on/DPDT switch) and only use standard Carling switches & relays if absolutely necessary.

Auxbeam panel on Amazon (also available on our Club store - it costs a little more there, but it does support these forums)

Extension cable for panel if needed

Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
This is really helpful!

Trying to wrap my head around the wiring for the DPDT switch. Originally I was going to run power from the blue key on power plug to the solenoid relay so all I would have is key on power to the aux battery.

Using the DPDT switch, I’m a little confused on the wiring.

1) Does the switch run off of the aux battery or main battery? I assume AUX, but not 💯.
2) Where do you connect the switch lead for key on power? I assume blue key on connector to the switch.
3) I assume the other switch lead runs directly to the solenoid relay?

I get the concept of the DPDT but not confident I have it right. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We have a new wire harness designed to help simplify this. It is a pre-wired Aux/Key-on rocker switch unit.
Comes with all the wires you need. Takes the complications stated above and simplifies it down to 2 connections not laid out.
1- A ground, which you can get anywhere.
2 - Key-on power, which can come from the horn wires.
Rest is taken care of in the harness work.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Using the DPDT switch, I’m a little confused on the wiring.

1) Does the switch run off of the aux battery or main battery? I assume AUX, but not 💯.
2) Where do you connect the switch lead for key on power? I assume blue key on connector to the switch.
3) I assume the other switch lead runs directly to the solenoid relay?

I get the concept of the DPDT but not confident I have it right. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
but to answer
1 - either, but recommend the aux. really it doesn't matter seeing its such a low draw item.
2 - yes, blue key-on connector or other source is fine.
3 - yes, the wire that says "stinger" is the relay control wire.

Thanks.

Reactions: Scoop and Smitty335
Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I’ve got everything all wired up and running like it should. Does the voltmeter stay on all the time? Voltmeter is wired to true isolator.

IMG 5705 IMG 5706

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Bhop81

Bhop81

Aug 8, 2023
Fort Mill, SC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I get the concept but not quite sure how to wire? So in this diagram, 87 runs to the positive on voltmeter for Primary battery? 30 and 86 are run to the Primary battery positive or positive of the primary voltmeter? And 85 is ground. Wiring help greatly appreciated.

IMG 5708

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I get the concept but not quite sure how to wire? So in this diagram, 87 runs to the positive on voltmeter for Primary battery? 30 and 86 are run to the Primary battery positive or positive of the primary voltmeter? And 85 is ground. Wiring help greatly appreciated.

View attachment 401020
87 runs to the common on the VM. The other 2 leads on the VM run to the isolator (shown below), pretty sure the VM is stenciled so the main battery will show on the top display. 30 is bridged to 85 and ground. 86 goes to your switched ignition lead. You'll only have one wire on 87, the kit comes with a spare that you don't need.

When you turn the ignition off, the connection between 30 and 87 is broken, dropping the ground to the VM, turning it off even though both Hots stay connected to the VM.

Happy to answer further questions to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!