Aluminum trailer options

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are you guys using (size, model etc.) and how are they working out? It seems like the Aluma trailers are fairly available and I'm looking into those currently but haven't decided on a model or size yet. They have a 63.5x10' model that is widely available but I'm wondering if the Pioneer 1000 will fit on there with the width so tight. Tailgate size is 60.5x44 which also may be tight. Anyone using one of these?
I have an Aluma 68-12 which works well for my P1K5. You don’t need to go any wider unless you’re planning on installing portals in the future or have something wider that you want to haul. Going to the 12’ model gives you the opportunity to better adjust your tongue weight. The 63.5 x 10’ will be very tight for your machine and if you’re using anything other than stock size tires and wheels it won’t fit.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, you are correct. I'm having a hard time finding a side by side/ trailer setup that meets my needs and is towable and affordable. I'm not really planning to be towing it around much after i get it to my place, it will primarily be used to plow and do chores. The trailer will be to get it home and take it to the dealer if it needs service.
If you’re not planning on hauling often with the trailer, just get a cheap steel/wood floor trailer from Home Depot or Tractor Supply.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
I have an Aluma 68-12 which works well for my P1K5. You don’t need to go any wider unless you’re planning on installing portals in the future or have something wider that you want to haul. Going to the 12’ model gives you the opportunity to better adjust your tongue weight. The 63.5 x 10’ will be very tight for your machine and if you’re using anything other than stock size tires and wheels it won’t fit.
Thanks for the feedback. The 6812H I see that is available nearby is pricy but does seem like it would be the best size.

I will use this trailer for general utility behind my Jeep and the P1 for general utility as well as hauling the UTV so getting something light and manageable is key. Right now I have a 5'x9' aluminum trailer but it wont handle a UTV as it has a 2000lb axel and isn't wide enough.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback. The 6812H I see that is available nearby is pricy but does seem like it would be the best size.

I will use this trailer for general utility behind my Jeep and the P1 for general utility as well as hauling the UTV so getting something light and manageable is key. Right now I have a 5'x9' aluminum trailer but it wont handle a UTV as it has a 2000lb axel and isn't wide enough.
Have you considered just getting a P500? It would easily do what your planning to use the utv for and fit on your existing trailer.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Have you considered just getting a P500? It would easily do what your planning to use the utv for and fit on your existing trailer.
I was actually all set to get a P700 but got talked out of it because the lack of low range. Our place is in the Rocky Mountains at 9100' of elevation so whatever I get will suffer from reduced power due to the elevation and we have some steep grades on our driveway and in the neighborhood. I also need to be able to pull a trailer around for maintenance of all of our trees.

At this point the price and logistics are getting out of hand so Ill probably be circling back around to see if there is something else i can buy to accomplish the tasks we need without having to spend nearly $25k.

Here is a picture of our place just for fun. :)

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was actually all set to get a P700 but got talked out of it because the lack of low range. Our place is in the Rocky Mountains at 9100' of elevation so whatever I get will suffer from reduced power due to the elevation and we have some steep grades on our driveway and in the neighborhood. I also need to be able to pull a trailer around for maintenance of all of our trees.

At this point the price and logistics are getting out of hand so Ill probably be circling back around to see if there is something else i can buy to accomplish the tasks we need without having to spend nearly $25k.

View attachment 365365
A P520 will handle all that. U might be surprised. It's the little engine that could

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 365365
The p500 has a low range I think or maybe it only has low.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
The p500 has a low range I think or maybe it only has low.
Does it have a low range transfer case or just a low 1st gear? I was actually looking at the P700 initially but the concern with that one was that it doesn't have an actual low range. I'm going to do some more reading and research on the 500 and 700 this week.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does it have a low range transfer case or just a low 1st gear? I was actually looking at the P700 initially but the concern with that one was that it doesn't have an actual low range. I'm going to do some more reading and research on the 500 and 700 this week.
p5&520 have a very low first gear. Dosnt need a “Low range” the way its size is. I always started mine in 2nd gear cuz 1st was supper low. When I hauled something or just creeping through the woods and going up a steep grade, yes If use 1st. Nither the P5&520 or P7 have turf mode. You just have to make wider turns or just dont turn sharp on your lawn

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
p5&520 have a very low first gear. Dosnt need a “Low range” the way its size is. I always started mine in 2nd gear cuz 1st was supper low. When I hauled something or just creeping through the woods and going up a steep grade, yes If use 1st. Nither the P5&520 or P7 have turf mode. You just have to make wider turns or just dont turn sharp on your lawn
Would the P520 make a better work rig than the P700 In your opinion? 5 speed vs 3 speed transmission and smaller lighter?

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Yes, but depends on what work your doing? But it is no slouch
Here is what i intend to use it for:
  1. Plowing about 800' of drive plus some parking areas. Again were at 9100' so i want to make sure it will have the power needed for this stuff.
  2. Hauling wood and materials around using my aluminum trailer (trailer is 400lbs). Could consider getting a smaller lighter trailer if needed.
  3. General driveway maintenance. Probably use the plow blade to push around rock (decomposed granite) and tow a drag hull to surface the road.
  4. Driving from our detached garage to the house in the winter when roads are slick

I also have a Jeep Wrangler so I can use that if I need to do something heavy. Im just hoping to use something smaller and easier to get in and out of, that i don't care if it gets filthy for those chores.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here is what i intend to use it for:
  1. Plowing about 800' of drive plus some parking areas. Again were at 9100' so i want to make sure it will have the power needed for this stuff.
  2. Hauling wood and materials around using my aluminum trailer (trailer is 400lbs). Could consider getting a smaller lighter trailer if needed.
  3. General driveway maintenance. Probably use the plow blade to push around rock (decomposed granite) and tow a drag hull to surface the road.
  4. Driving from our detached garage to the house in the winter when roads are slick

I also have a Jeep Wrangler so I can use that if I need to do something heavy. Im just hoping to use something smaller and easier to get in and out of, that i don't care if it gets filthy for those chores.
I wouldn't hesitate to use a P520 doing that

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, you are correct. I'm having a hard time finding a side by side/ trailer setup that meets my needs and is towable and affordable. I'm not really planning to be towing it around much after i get it to my place, it will primarily be used to plow and do chores. The trailer will be to get it home and take it to the dealer if it needs service.
Rent or borrow one?

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Rent or borrow one?
I dont have the capacity to tow any of my friends trailers as steel. Uhaul wont rent to me because of my towing capacity. The largest trailer uhaul will rent me is a 5'x9'. I could have a friend tow his trailer to help me but this is a headache and I dont want to ask.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I purchased a P520 and love it. General duties like you mentioned, but fun on the trail because of the size.

Some dealers will drop them off (UTV) when you purchase from them. Would save you the hassle of buying a trailer if you got a larger machine.

Reactions: Buggyman
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
It says you are in the omaha area, I'm out in Elkhorn if you want to see/ride/drive a P520

Reactions: Buggyman and CID
C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
It says you are in the omaha area, I'm out in Elkhorn if you want to see/ride/drive a P520
Yes, we are in Omaha (for now) but will be buying it for our house in CO where we are moving in 6 months. That would be great to check out your P520. Im at 180th and Harrison so you are not far. Ill send you a PM this week to see if there is a good time to swing by.

With a 520 the good news is I could use the trailer I already have and no problems with towing capacity! We wanted something with 3 seats so that my daughter and wife would fit if we wanted to do trails or something but it seems as though something has to give based on our other requirements. The most important thing is plowing and the other chores. We can go wheeling in my Jeep.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!