BOX1

P1000 Another dual battery question

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry about all the questions, my searching is finding some old info with dead links.

New P1K and just getting into the build. As I've grown older I hate working on things so I'm kind of just going nuts up front knowing that one day soon I'll be adding lighting, a horn, winch,..., thus the desire to get the dual battery out of the way.

First question is where is the best place to get the dual battery kit? For now I am leaning toward keeping the accessories on keyed power so I assume I am going to have to have to get the relay. Is that part of the kits as well or an add on?

As far as fuse blocks go, have you guys found any that install better than others? Looking at at least 6 accessories so I am guessing I need a 10-12 position fuse block.

Is a grounding block needed? Seen videos with and without them. Seems like it is over kill since the ground wire on the fuse block would complete the circuit.

As far as batteries go, I am torn between going cheap and going whole hog. Seems like guys are having pretty good luck with the mighty max but a bunch of guys are running Odyssey. For $174 Odyssey, I'll just jump up to a $200 lithium.

Last but not least, where are you guys buying your switch panels. Unfortunately it is just a hair to big for my 3D printer. PBR Products is the only thing I found but wanted to see if there were any other options out there. Maybe in a perfect world I would prefer a plastic over metal.

Reactions: Archie and TripleB
Raynman

Raynman

Sudo Flotation device inspector
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2019
Thumb area, Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HI bldmtnrider,

If you hit club store near top of the page they had dual battery kit, that's what I ordered

Fuse block, i ordered off amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8OG2A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

ground block any will do, home depot has them

I'm going to go with less expensive battery, but that's just me , like this post
extra-battery.25580

Someone on this site makes switch panels, not sure who, I'm a newbie here also, I won't order that till I get my new ride LOL

good luck
Ray

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@mystic1219 for your switch panel or PBR
I've had the mighty maxx for over 2 years with zero issues.
Club store for dual battery kit with volt meter and relay. Key on power source plug and play unless u wanna tap the wires

The rest will just be your preference.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry about all the questions, my searching is finding some old info with dead links.

New P1K and just getting into the build. As I've grown older I hate working on things so I'm kind of just going nuts up front knowing that one day soon I'll be adding lighting, a horn, winch,..., thus the desire to get the dual battery out of the way.

First question is where is the best place to get the dual battery kit? For now I am leaning toward keeping the accessories on keyed power so I assume I am going to have to have to get the relay. Is that part of the kits as well or an add on?

As far as fuse blocks go, have you guys found any that install better than others? Looking at at least 6 accessories so I am guessing I need a 10-12 position fuse block.

Is a grounding block needed? Seen videos with and without them. Seems like it is over kill since the ground wire on the fuse block would complete the circuit.

As far as batteries go, I am torn between going cheap and going whole hog. Seems like guys are having pretty good luck with the mighty max but a bunch of guys are running Odyssey. For $174 Odyssey, I'll just jump up to a $200 lithium.

Last but not least, where are you guys buying your switch panels. Unfortunately it is just a hair to big for my 3D printer. PBR Products is the only thing I found but wanted to see if there were any other options out there. Maybe in a perfect world I would prefer a plastic over metal.
There are a lot of dif ways to do a second battery. I think the true kit that you can get from the club store here is the easiest. A fuse box, I recommend a blue sea with ground bus, a key on source, you can get that from the club store as well. A stinger to control fuse box and a couple of short cables and lugs a lot of tape and heat shrinks and you should be set up if your going g under the hood. That will give you an isolated protected battery and a key on only 2nd fuse box.
Im running the mighty max battery and Justin Beatty’s switch panel and I’m happy with both.
It can be done without the isolator some use a marine switch some run it straight. You can use a switch to control the stinger or run it straight. You can also do an on/off/on if you think you might be using it for music or lights or anything while not running. You can get key on power by tapping the acc wire in the fuse box but I recommend the key on harness from the club store it’s clean easy and well made.

Reactions: Raynman and TripleB
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I am working on an underseat second battery on my P1000-3. My dash console area is limited for switch locations because of heater duct outlets, so I installed my switch panel in an overhead console. Since I am running conduit through the underseat area for the console anyway, pulling some extra wire for the battery was easy. I'm planning to install an automotive size AGM battery. I utilized the second battery area under the hood for the fuse block, the stinger relay, the True battery isolator and some terminal blocks. Still a work in progress.

20210120 210228 20210120 204753
20201231 213148

Last edited:
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I used the twelve circuit BlueSea fuse block with grounding buss as well. It provides plenty of convenient points to ground devices, and is not much larger than the 12 circuit without the buss.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Got my underseat battery tray mounted. I used four loop clamps to secure two peices of unistrut in the underseat compartment. I fastened the battery tray to the unistrut. Waiting for some compression lugs to finish it up. Should be delivered tomorrow.
20210124 231455
20210124 222000
20210125 182408

Reactions: TripleB and Raynman
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Prntckt and Raynman
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at the SATV heater option, leaves the under seat and under hood areas open.

I've seen that one but I don't think that will work for me. I'm a pretty big guy so I may flow over into that area at time. Also have a kid riding in the center seat occasionally. Good idea, just not right for me.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I put an Ice Crusher heater in my P1000-3. It mounts on the firewall under the battery tray. Tight fit, but leaves the underseat area available and doesn't take up any space in the cab.

Reactions: Raynman and ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen that one but I don't think that will work for me. I'm a pretty big guy so I may flow over into that area at time. Also have a kid riding in the center seat occasionally. Good idea, just not right for me.
I don’t think it would be an issue for a kid riding in the middle, plenty of room there.

Reactions: Raynman and ChadD
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings - here is a post I did back in November that answers a number of your questions, such as which switch plate, which battery, etc. I also include some detailed wiring diagrams. Hope this helps.

Here is the video link

Reactions: TripleB
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings - here is a post I did back in November that answers a number of your questions, such as which switch plate, which battery, etc. I also include some detailed wiring diagrams. Hope this helps.

Here is the video link
Been through that video several times. Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: RobSparre
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!