P1000 Any benefit to lightweight wheels?

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
I don't own a 1000 yet nor have I ever owned a UTV/ATV, so I haven't a clue if changing wheels provides much of a benefit to this vehicle. It is quite heavy and I wonder if removing a few pounds of unsprung weight would help on the trail or if it would not even be noticeable. In looking at a few sites that sell UTV wheels I haven't seen any that bother to list the weight of the wheels they sell. So assuming that they had adequate strength, would lighter wheels be better?

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Lighter and stronger I'm not a believer in that. I don't think your going to gain much with messing with the wheels as much as tire sizes. But if you want them and they are lighter it is going to be better, will you be able to tell probably not.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't own a 1000 yet nor have I ever owned a UTV/ATV, so I haven't a clue if changing wheels provides much of a benefit to this vehicle. It is quite heavy and I wonder if removing a few pounds of unsprung weight would help on the trail or if it would not even be noticeable. In looking at a few sites that sell UTV wheels I haven't seen any that bother to list the weight of the wheels they sell. So assuming that they had adequate strength, would lighter wheels be better?

Just watch the load ratings of those wheels. You may have to call or write the manufacturer to find out.

As for weight saving, I agree that lighter is better. But like already mentioned above, you can truly save weight by selecting tires.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Just watch the load ratings of those wheels. You may have to call or write the manufacturer to find out.

As for weight saving, I agree that lighter is better. But like already mentioned above, you can truly save weight by selecting tires.
all adds up if trying to save weight then try to save weight where ever u can cause little here and there adds up to being noticeable!!!
Lighter and stronger I'm not a believer in that. I don't think your going to gain much with messing with the wheels as much as tire sizes. But if you want them and they are lighter it is going to be better, will you be able to tell probably not.
difference in stock tires to larger heavier tires is definitely noticeable!!! u have guys that have a hard time getting the 1000's into 60mph that were running 66 I know I read that a couple times in this forum.. anyone ever put big tires on there truck its noticeable big time. Up side? looks good, better traction, a lot of times better tire, ground clearance etc, this is a personal decision whats right for one could be totally opposite for another!!

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
The flipside to lighter wheels is this machine is already so heavy your chance of bending or breaking a wheel goes way up.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
have u seen many broken wheels?
I haven't had this thing long enough but on other machines that were lighter I had some light weight wheels that I bent so many times I went back to the thicker cast stuff. But then again I could break an anvil with a rubber hammer

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I haven't had this thing long enough but on other machines that were lighter I had some light weight wheels that I bent so many times I went back to the thicker cast stuff. But then again I could break an anvil with a rubber hammer
guess u have a good point to consider if rims get bent out of shape easier one less thing to worry about. the deal with me is on my ranger and some ate's in the past I did bigger tires and i seamed to regret it from power loss!! then after going back to stock size I always tell myself I'm never doing that again!! not like it was the end of the world but I didn't like power loss who does lol. but on the other hand once again I am trying to talk myself into going to bigger tires again with the 1000 telling myself this thing has some power to spar but Im on the fence.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
have u seen many broken wheels?

There have been several wheels broken on the P700. But that's from hitting rocks with low pressure I believe.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes lighter would be better but make sure Load capacity is adequate

Last edited:
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I'm guessing they'd do a lot better if you ride in an area with soft stuff like mud. But if you're in a rocky terrain I don't think I'd try to get anything too light

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I've had atv's and dirt bikes since i was young, and i have never bought or had aftermarket rims for any of them. My pioneer is my first SxS and i'm not going to buy rims for it either. Well unless my stock rims get messed up. I actually prefer steel rims to lightweight alloy rims for my past off roading Jeeps.. The lightweight alloy's get messed up easier.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
first ride out with the pioneer I got stuck and trashed the rims with scrapes all on the sides of 2 of them oh well

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I agree with examining the load rating of different rims. One thing is certain, reducing the weight of the rating mass equates to better performance. This is what happens when one "balance and blueprints" an engine. Material is shaved off of the internal rotating mass, while keeping it in perfect balance. A titanium wheel would be great, till you have to pay for it.

Reactions: dale5740

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!