rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Just because every Polaris has a "Fire Hazard" recall doesn't mean every Honda has a clutch problem. The P500 & P700 have been bulletproof in that respect. As far as P1K, only 15% of the machines are having issues. The reason you see so many posts is misery loves company and those 15% owners have nothing else to do but b**** and moan about it while thier machine sits in a shop for warranty repairs. The other 85% are out riding having a good time not posting so much, some in fear of being labled, drunk on fan boy koolaid just because they aren't miserable like the glass half empty guys, that think posting about the same thing 200 times will some how make it better.
I wanna give ya more likes...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just because every Polaris has a "Fire Hazard" recall doesn't mean every Honda has a clutch problem. The P500 & P700 have been bulletproof in that respect. As far as P1K, only 15% of the machines are having issues. The reason you see so many posts is misery loves company and those 15% owners have nothing else to do but b**** and moan about it while thier machine sits in a shop for warranty repairs. The other 85% are out riding having a good time not posting so much, some in fear of being labled, drunk on fan boy koolaid just because they aren't miserable like the glass half empty guys, that think posting about the same thing 200 times will some how make it better.

Glad to see the Ancient Guru tag back.

Reactions: JACKAL
Jnwit

Jnwit

Mar 2, 2019
Mediapolis, IA
Ownership

1. 500
When traveling at speed, and I mash the brakes, I get terrible noise that sounds to me like the clutch is not releasing. The sound is a fast clanking, like 10 times a second. I don't have to mash the brakes actually to get this issue, any braking that is slightly aggressive this happens. I have trained myself to shift down as I approach stops rather than use the brakes. My recollection is this has been ongoing for years. I guess it could be rear shaft union at the axle. Any ideas folks? As I type, I guess it would be easy enough to drain rear axle housing to see if there is a bunch of metal in it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
When traveling at speed, and I mash the brakes, I get terrible noise that sounds to me like the clutch is not releasing. The sound is a fast clanking, like 10 times a second. I don't have to mash the brakes actually to get this issue, any braking that is slightly aggressive this happens. I have trained myself to shift down as I approach stops rather than use the brakes. My recollection is this has been ongoing for years. I guess it could be rear shaft union at the axle. Any ideas folks? As I type, I guess it would be easy enough to drain rear axle housing to see if there is a bunch of metal in it.
This thread is 6 years old on the last response before your post. That said Pioneer 500/520 have earned a bulletproof reputation.

The noise I believe you hear is due to the rear brake disc being on the output shaft past the transmission but prior to the rear differential. My guess is what you hear is a combination of the rear differential and suspension reaction the braking applied. I had a P500 for 5 years and recall many times the noise you described.

Still that doesn't mean something could be amiss. Check you brake pads on both front hubs and the rear, if they are worn down that can also cause the chatter.

What year is your machine and how many miles are on it, also what type of terrain do you ride in?

Jnwit

Jnwit

Mar 2, 2019
Mediapolis, IA
Ownership

1. 500
My machine is 2018 model. I think I am still under 3000 miles. The noise has been around for a long time - years - shame on me for not getting serious about it. The rhythm of the chatter would indicate it is mechanical, like chain jumping on a sprocket or ring/pinion gears jumping/slipping past each other. It will be easy to see if the rear differential is chewing itself up. What is in the clutch system or transmission that could create such a noise? It's like the clutch is not free wheeling at vigorous deceleration.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My machine is 2018 model. I think I am still under 3000 miles. The noise has been around for a long time - years - shame on me for not getting serious about it. The rhythm of the chatter would indicate it is mechanical, like chain jumping on a sprocket or ring/pinion gears jumping/slipping past each other. It will be easy to see if the rear differential is chewing itself up. What is in the clutch system or transmission that could create such a noise? It's like the clutch is not free wheeling at vigorous deceleration.
It's the gears. They're square cut and this has been brought up several times in the past, mostly with new owners. You should hear it when engine braking going downhill as well.

Jnwit

Jnwit

Mar 2, 2019
Mediapolis, IA
Ownership

1. 500
Follow up ... During engine braking alone? - i don't hear anything then.
Only when I am pressing hard on the brake pedal.

Reactions: Backwoods
advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The noise is probably from the ring and pinion gear banging. It can occur on a loose downhill surface where the wheels slip then gain traction. On a smooth downhill surface, it won't happen. It is normal and there won't be any damage. It is annoying but not a problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!