P500 Anybody getting oil in breather box?

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
Just wondering if anybody has had this problem I noticed a few months ago that oil is getting into my breather box filling up the drain tube. I drained it out didn’t think much of it since I just got done with a ride trip and I had it a good bit side ways several different times and Evan on its side. But since I drained it I haven’t rode it like that but still getting oil in my breather box and the oil level is where it’s supposed to be it has not been over filled. I am running a snorkel but have pretty much had it on there from day one long before the problem occurred so I don’t think it has nothing to do with it. Any comments,suggestions advice,and answers is really appreciated so what do you guys think is going on with my ride. Just wanted to add that of course the oil reads low when I find it in my breather.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just wondering if anybody has had this problem I noticed a few months ago that oil is getting into my breather box filling up the drain tube. I drained it out didn’t think much of it since I just got done with a ride trip and I had it a good bit side ways several different times and Evan on its side. But since I drained it I haven’t rode it like that but still getting oil in my breather box and the oil level is where it’s supposed to be it has not been over filled. I am running a snorkel but have pretty much had it on there from day one long before the problem occurred so I don’t think it has nothing to do with it. Any comments,suggestions advice,and answers is really appreciated so what do you guys think is going on with my ride. Just wanted to add that of course the oil reads low when I find it in my breather.
I've never had it happen, but I do usually get some run off when I install a freshly oiled air filter.
Is it possible when you got oil in before that it soaked the filter?

Reactions: Yota87
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm with DG Rider, how are you treating the air filter? Reason for asking, chances are the filter was soaked from the factory and you may be seeing residual oil from the filter, especially if doing it as shown here,

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
If you had it on its driver side it from that, the crank case vent is on the drivers side. I rolled mine and it took a while for all the oil even after wringing out air filter and soaking up extra with a rag to find its way to the clear plastic tube.

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the replies but I don’t think that it could be from filter oil run off because when I service the filter I wash with warm water and dawn and after I dry it I just spray it with k&n filter oil. And also the amount that is getting into box is a lot more then what I spray on the filter. I believe it may be getting in through the crank case ventilations just don’t know what would cause it and why it just started. But I will double and make sure my filter is not being saturated in oil. Does anyone know if there is a check valve in the system somewhere that could be bad? Maybe something like a pcv valve like a car has?

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
If you had it on its driver side it from that, the crank case vent is on the drivers side. I rolled mine and it took a while for all the oil even after wringing out air filter and soaking up extra with a rag to find its way to the clear plastic tube.
So maybe I just need to wait and see if it continues after I clean it out again and yes I did lay it over on driver side and I knew that’s how I got the oil in it the firs time just trying to figure out why it’s in there again.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the King of Flop;
When you cleaned out your airbox, did you also get some clean paper towels down into the intake as well? The 1st time I flopped, I had to get down deep with many towels to sop up all the oil from deep down. It's not just the airbox itself. It took many rags to fully clean it out. Also changed the oil, oil and air filter and the spark plug. It made a huge difference. The best thing to do when you start getting sideways is to shut off the engine right away, get out and try to upright the machine by hand. Not a hard feat if there's more than one of you. If it's only you, bring a come along. Or get a second battery to operate the winch while the machine is shut off.

Last edited:
Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, it happened to me on my 2017. No it wasn't from the air filter. Engine oil for sure. Never on my side either. I think it is from going to a full synthetic oil too soon from new & not enough break in with original Honda grade oil. I haven't checked filter box lately as I didn't get much riding in through winter. Will check again soon.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Not in my P500, but I did in my 2016 Honda Rancher.

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, it happened to me on my 2017. No it wasn't from the air filter. Engine oil for sure. Never on my side either. I think it is from going to a full synthetic oil too soon from new & not enough break in with original Honda grade oil. I haven't checked filter box lately as I didn't get much riding in through winter. Will check again soon.
Mine is also a 2017 but I only run the Honda oil. I’ve been using quite a bit work here around the house and still hadn’t noticed any oil yet. I will be paying close attention to it until I figure out what’s going on. I did notice the nipple for the crank case breather was kind rolled back off of the filter a bit.. I’ll see if I can get a pic.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
regardless of oil type or brand you shouldn't get oil in oil filter box drain unless you have overfilled with oil, flopped it on its side or left tons of oil on the filter. Any decent oil just isn't volatile enough to vaporize enough to get oil in drain, actually any non decent oil shouldn't be that volatile.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

Any oil getting in through the crankcase vent would go though the air filter before dripping into the airbox.

The vent butts up against the filter to keep from sucking dirt into the crankcase.

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
8FB62673 DE4C 4BD0 A31F B4FDCE747554
Any oil getting in through the crankcase vent would go though the air filter before dripping into the airbox.

The vent butts up against the filter to keep from sucking dirt into the crankcase.
This is true which makes wornder how it is getting in there and I know it’s not run off from my filter because I do not soak the filter in oil.

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
This also happened to my 2018 P5. It happened after I switched to full synthetic. I may have overfilled it. I drained the oil and refilled carefully watching levels. Hasn't happened since.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!