P500 Anyone have Mad Ramps?

A

ayhanmecit

Jul 26, 2020
west hills, ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have my p500 in the back of my f150 all the time.
Zero issues. No air bags and the 1000lbs don’t squat the suspension.
My only worry is the tailgate cables breaking off but there is kits you can buy that fix this.
Why I don’t trailer is because I take a lot of rough dirt roads and it would take me forever with a trailer in tow.
I have a double wide heavy snowmobile trailer that I use if I’m going with both my bikes or couple extra dirt bikes but if it’s only the p500 it’s going in the bed.
View attachment 223084
These are the extra support, I don’t have but may invest in a set down the road, only couple pieces of flat bar and easy for anyone to make.
Honestly half the reason I bought the p-500 was because I could fit it in the bed of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the one of the main reasons for me as well.

Reactions: bpike207
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Specifically why I bought the P5, it fits in a pickup bed... Trailers are a pain in the arse for sure, I own three and have towed many different types. Love being able to toss on my custom rear deck (it stays on most the time). Back the P5 in, do up 4 ratchets straps, slide the ramps under it and gone. My truck box is 8’ but with a combo drybox fuel cell it’s effectively 6’, always hated backing onto my spare beater tailgate, was much better with solid stays to assist the cable. On my old body style ford and rough roads, was not keen on breaking the lower stock tailgate “hinges” thus the custom deck which slides into 2 extra receivers on Class V hitch. In this way can and do pull trailers with P5 in back of truck.

Air bags are nice as it does level up the truck, aids in handling and keeps the headlight adjusted. I’ve changed the fuel capacity on my truck to carry just over 400 litres or about 100 US gallons of fuel, with work tools P5 and other gear I can be close to rear axle Max capacity. Air bags are awesome, I just use compressor at gas station or small electric that I carry on the P5 to air up if needed.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The sticker in my door says max load of occupants and all cargo should not exceed 1713 lbs. The ramps weigh 150lbs, the p500 supposedly weighs 1025lbs , and I weigh 200lbs. That is 1375 lbs Total. Of course the P5 will increase a bit with new t/w and some gas. Your assumption that I am "over the weight , by quite a lot" is inaccurate.

Not totally sure on this for new trucks, but door sticker (on my OBS Ford) has GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) then GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). To operate legally, you need to be under all the above thresholds. You can be under the GVWR and yet be too heavy on the rear axle... best to load ‘er up how you’d typically use it and put it over some scales. Our municipal dump has commercial scales that’s where I check my weights...

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My only worry is the tailgate cables breaking off but there is kits you can buy that fix this.
Why I don’t trailer is because I take a lot of rough dirt roads and it would take me forever with a trailer in tow.
I have a double wide heavy snowmobile trailer that I use if I’m going with both my bikes or couple extra dirt bikes but if it’s only the p500 it’s going in the bed.
View attachment 223084
These are the extra support, I don’t have but may invest in a set down the road, only couple pieces of flat bar and easy for anyone to make.
Honestly half the reason I bought the p-500 was because I could fit it in the bed of the truck.

I have the 3 lengths set of DG tailgate supports. Excellent purchase. I use the 45 degree set for hauling lumber that doesn’t fit in the 8 ft bed, it adds extra feet.

S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
My son has the Mad Ramps hauling a Polaris RAZR 570 with a 2014 Ford F150 4 door with ecoboost. He loves them and I am impressed with the quality of the Mad Ramps and the ease of use. His truck does squat a little bit, but not much. I think the RZR weights about the same as my wonderful Pioneer 500. No handling issues. If you have limited space to store or have no other need for a trailer, go for it. The only drawback with the Mad Ramps is the crowd that gathers around to watch the loading or unloading.

A

ayhanmecit

Jul 26, 2020
west hills, ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My son has the Mad Ramps hauling a Polaris RAZR 570 with a 2014 Ford F150 4 door with ecoboost. He loves them and I am impressed with the quality of the Mad Ramps and the ease of use. His truck does squat a little bit, but not much. I think the RZR weights about the same as my wonderful Pioneer 500. No handling issues. If you have limited space to store or have no other need for a trailer, go for it. The only drawback with the Mad Ramps is the crowd that gathers around to watch the loading or unloading.
Awesome, thanks for giving me an actual experience rather than an opinion:)

C

crushing

Mar 14, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 520
I just got my mad ramps about 1 month ago and love them. Easy as hell to load new p520 in back of my hd2500 Duramax and leaves me room for my cooler, archery targets etc. I also bought the wall mount which stores it nicely on my shop wall.

38D839F7 8760 4357 B5B1 49AE464BF598

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Ya a p520 is so much easier to haul. My gmc 2500hd doesn't know it's there I like 40lb in my air bags with it in the back. With my lance 12ft camper I run 100lbs. I don't have mad ramps but a made a steel shelf off the bed onto the bumper to space the p520 back 10 inches. This let me haul all my gas cans in front of it for a week long trip. Mad ramps look like a good buy and we'll built

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 223084

So glad I saw this thread, and this post! I have completely forgot about these. Slow day in the shop so I knocked them out in just over an hour. I was already burning some splice plates for beams, so I burned a strip for me & went to it. Fits perfectly. I just hope that 3/8 A514 plate & Grade 8 bolts are strong enough.......🙄

IMG 20210609 184100816 IMG 20210609 184121548

Reactions: bpike207 and Bigtee
ShanethePain

ShanethePain

Sep 20, 2018
hanover, indiana
Ownership

1. 500
Two trucks and no issues with them. Had 2 stops over the years where the cops just wanted to see the ramps. Longest travel was 600 miles. Just keep an eye out on tire pressure and heat just like you would when towing. I did have to add air bags on the 2020 ram do to the squat. But it was needed any way for the toyhualer

Resized 20180920 155440 20200809 121422

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!