P700 Anyone have this happen?

J

JMVENEMA

Apr 17, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Was stuck in mud in 2wd. Engaged diff lock, and twisted the front driver's side outer CV. It's only a month old so it's going in for warranty. Must've been defective, dealer said he hasn't seen very many. Just wondering how many of you have seen this on the 700's?
IMG 0408
IMG 0412
IMG 0413

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well. There have been some. Lots of situations can cause this but from the look of your "stuck" I would not have expected it.
Usually it's fast spinning with a sudden stop that gets them. Or in a tight bind trying to turn with where to go.

Be nice to your dealer and he might cover it.

J

JMVENEMA

Apr 17, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well. There have been some. Lots of situations can cause this but from the look of your "stuck" I would not have expected it.
Usually it's fast spinning with a sudden stop that gets them. Or in a tight bind trying to turn with where to go.

Be nice to your dealer and he might cover it.
It was barely a stuck. I went through that in 2wd a few times before that. Just got a little rutted out and sloppy. That was most of my discussion with the dealer. Saying it wasn't much abuse. Sounds like they're gonna cover it.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm with @Hondasxs. That mudhole didn't look that bad. I think they will warranty that (or should).

BTW: welcome to the forum and those were good photos.

Reactions: Tflynn
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Snapped one of my rear ones with about 50 miles on it. Multiple dealers wouldnt warranty it. Mine broke on the shaft though so different break. I think you have a better chance than i did. Mine was from tire spinning then catching traction when stuck

Reactions: av8or
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've broken 3 and no warranty on any.... Now I've got SuperAtv rhinos on LR & RF. They are a big improvement over stockers.
Does that brand of shaft offer any more of an operating angle?

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
If I'm not mistaken it is 30% more. The whole thing looks better on a sxs comparison. The boots look better , the shaft diameter is larger and the axle itself is longer than stock.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does that brand of shaft offer any more of an operating angle?
Yes they do. I have them on the rear, I think @SundayRdr is right, about 30 percent.

I also noticed Tusk (Rocky mountain atvs in house brand) is now offering a replacement axle for the 700. Don't know if they're any good but it's another option. Pretty cheap too, under $200 for sure maybe under $150, can't quite recall.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
They covered it. I thought about upgrading but decided that I'd rather have those axles be the weak link over anything else.
That's what I use to think too. New year's ride changed that when I ripped the RF out and hit a tree because the axle shaft wedged against the caliper and me having to pump the brakes to stop.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
It was barely a stuck. I went through that in 2wd a few times before that. Just got a little rutted out and sloppy. That was most of my discussion with the dealer. Saying it wasn't much abuse. Sounds like they're gonna cover it.
The bearing cage broke on yours like the LR did on mine leaving my subdivision, but the brake had happened before that. I had heard a high pitched squeak while riding a bit before it broke. The damage had already been done b4 it actually came apart when I made the LH turn exiting my subdivision. The hard turn on aspahlt was just enough to finish it off, I'd say that's the same thing that happened in your case too.

J

JMVENEMA

Apr 17, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
The bearing cage broke on yours like the LR did on mine leaving my subdivision, but the brake had happened before that. I had heard a high pitched squeak while riding a bit before it broke. The damage had already been done b4 it actually came apart when I made the LH turn exiting my subdivision. The hard turn on aspahlt was just enough to finish it off, I'd say that's the same thing that happened in your case too.
Very well could be.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!