BOX1

Anyone Mountain Bike?

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not a mountain bike but hopped on the Niner for the first time in awhile. Its muddy as heck here but I put in 6 miles after work. Im way out of shape. We actually had decent weather today and it was nice to be out.

Last year right before Garmin Unbound I had been out and done a 15 mile ride. It was a hot one and with stubble my chin strap was irritating me as they do. So I unclipped it and let the chin strap hang. Come back and climbing off the bike and our VFD gets sent to a trauma about as far from civilization as you can get around here. Get there and the guy was in cardiac arrest. He had been doing the same thing I was doing, riding with his chinstrap unhooked. He was coming down a hill, wrecked, his helmet flew off before his head hit a rock. I was still in my shorts and riding jersey. That hit me hard and I even told my brother I had been doing the same stuff 20 min prior. Moral of the story no matter how much it annoys you wear the helmet and leave it buckled. I never unbuckle now unless I am stopped.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not a mountain bike but hopped on the Niner for the first time in awhile. Its muddy as heck here but I put in 6 miles after work. Im way out of shape. We actually had decent weather today and it was nice to be out.

Last year right before Garmin Unbound I had been out and done a 15 mile ride. It was a hot one and with stubble my chin strap was irritating me as they do. So I unclipped it and let the chin strap hang. Come back and climbing off the bike and our VFD gets sent to a trauma about as far from civilization as you can get around here. Get there and the guy was in cardiac arrest. He had been doing the same thing I was doing, riding with his chinstrap unhooked. He was coming down a hill, wrecked, his helmet flew off before his head hit a rock. I was still in my shorts and riding jersey. That hit me hard and I even told my brother I had been doing the same stuff 20 min prior. Moral of the story no matter how much it annoys you wear the helmet and leave it buckled. I never unbuckle now unless I am stopped.
I'm really fussy with helmet fitment. Probably drove Amazon crazy ordering and returning helmets. It worked...I don't even notice mine being on.

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im still wearing a cheap helmet from Walmart 3 years later. Good thing about living in the center of the gravel universe is there is no shortage of good bike shops. At some point I should go to clip in pedals as well, but again I am cheap.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Im still wearing a cheap helmet from Walmart 3 years later. Good thing about living in the center of the gravel universe is there is no shortage of good bike shops. At some point I should go to clip in pedals as well, but again I am cheap.
Bells of any model seem to fit my head better than anything. Mine was like $140 (MIPS rated), but even the $40 versions were pretty comfy.

I don't think I could ever ride clipless. Just don't like the ideal of having my feet "tied" to the peddles even that much.

Reactions: thatguy2
T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im scared of crashing because I cant get feet unclipped. Would be nice to get the power with the upstroke. I know it would increase my speed a little. Put in 7.25 miles last night. Waiting on the gravel to dry out so I can go back to my old haunts.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Im scared of crashing because I cant get feet unclipped. Would be nice to get the power with the upstroke. I know it would increase my speed a little. Put in 7.25 miles last night. Waiting on the gravel to dry out so I can go back to my old haunts.
I personally stay away from clipless pedals anymore for a couple reasons. 1 is after extensively researching and watching side by side comparisons....they don't really help in pedal stroke power. Yes you have the ability to pull up but at the cost of a powerful down stroke. The other reason is injury....the clipless don't allow for the natural movement/play that your foot has in a complete rotation of the pedal stroke. I have gone to nice light flats and wear a shoe like Five Ten. The shoe is lots more comfortable and it grips the pedal like you are clipped in but allows your foot to float enough to not injury you over the long haul. With this setup you are more than able to put 75%+ down on a complete pedal rotation stroke with power. I gained speed and all day comfort with the Five Ten's and flats. I had put over 10k miles on clipless pedals before I switched back to flats. Just my .02!)

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Decided to get out on the gravel bike today. Put in a little of 40 mi. Started off dodging rain showers but ended up with 79 and sunny.

20240303 092931 20240303 093110 20240303 093441 20240303 094123 20240303 094250 20240303 094639

T

thatguy2

Aug 18, 2023
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did 10 miles of gravel today. I have been doing 5-10 after work when I can. The strong SE wind took it out of me today. Combine that with being way out of shape and I was pretty slow.

Screenshot 20240306 145748 Connect

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!