DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bicycles are one of those things that I've kinda always had admiration of. I grew up with BMX Action and such. Really wanted to freestyle, and bought a CW Flyer at one point and learned that those tricks are hard on pavement...and even harder on dirt, since the closest pavement to me was like 3 miles away. Not that it would have mattered. I was clearly NOT the next RL Osborne.

Waaaay back in the early 2000's I kinda got into mountain biking. Bought a leftover dept store scwhinn single pivot dual squish as a test to see if I'd like it. I did, and got strong enough to do all day rides on the same logging roads I also rode on ATVs. Upgraded to a better bike.

Life got in the way a few times, but in 2010 i tried to get back into it again. Unfortunately, I had gained weight, and my already under coil-sprung bike was way soft. I really couldn't afford the new fangled air stuff, which would fix things. But I kept riding when I could. In 2010 we moved up to Chino valley, AZ. Unfortunately, the property we were on has what's called goatheads...thorny little nuggets that will flatten tires in seconds. I put up a good fight, but eventually got tired of trying to keep the tires up, and put it away. When we moved back to KY for a few years, I once again got it out and rode around the property some, but never got into good enough shape to start hitting real trails.

So...once again, I'm sitting here looking at my bike, thinking about how much I enjoyed some parts of it. Thinking of trying to get back into it again. Working against me is a dual suspension bike that pretty much bottoms out with just my weight (aka Clydesdale). And the fact that I'm closing in on 50 years old quickly.

I have been saying for years that I'm too old and out-of-shape for it anymore...but It's something I never quite seem to be able to let go of...

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Can't let go of it either even though mine is 20 yrs old now. I was into it heavy in my 20's. Had a Trek that I rode 2 hrs a day everyday for yrs. Got out of it for awhile and then bought a Giant Rainier around 2000. It wasn't the best even then but as nice as I was willing to go. Light as hell, hard tail, as I was told rear suspension bikes are mainly for downhilling. Disc brakes was the new thing then and it has them front and back. Set it up well and rode it hard for a couple yrs, then life gets in the way. One of these days...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can't let go of it either even though mine is 20 yrs old now. I was into it heavy in my 20's. Had a Trek that I rode 2 hrs a day everyday for yrs. Got out of it for awhile and then bought a Giant Rainier around 2000. It wasn't the best even then but as nice as I was willing to go. Light as hell, hard tail, as I was told rear suspension bikes are mainly for downhilling. Disc brakes was the new thing then and it has them front and back. Set it up well and rode it hard for a couple yrs, then life gets in the way. One of these days...
Mine is a brand called IBEX. Mail order company. Probably long gone.

12 16 06 001
Pics 001

THE most eye opening thing was the disc brakes. The best rim brakes ever aren't even in the same universe.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I bought my wife and I new MTBs in 2020. I'm 55 and we ride quite a bit. She has a blown out knee, so I got her an e-bike to keep up at elevation.

MTB Video

Here is me riding in Leadville Colorado on the trails.

We also kayak and do some other stuff outdoors:

Both bikes are Specialized brand. I've been riding for a lot of years and been on this brand since 1996.

Rob

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Ive got a 20 year old terk fuel, full suspension no disk brakes. Made in US. Now the new treks are made in China. Used to ride the heck out of it. Used to love it. Then seasons change with age. Now all I want to do is trail ride on the pioneer.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a pair of Specialized hard rocks. I converted one in to an Ebike for hunting. I condition on the other and ride with family. My son was young and I built a rack for him to ride with me.

63C88DC8 F255 46DF A578 791393E997F9 E696A49D 96A3 44F5 B251 84A2A5CC3406 FB005F04 58C1 4272 95F4 94268A2E1B35

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I love mountain biking and mountain bikes. That being said, i'm too fat and out of shape so I don't ride. And I am too fat and out of shape because I don't ride.

I have a cool older FS Cannondale (Jekyll something) with a lefty fork, and a hardtail GT 29er. I probably only put 2 miles on the Cannondale. Bought it used a few years ago cuz I always wanted a bike with a lefty fork.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I love mountain biking and mountain bikes. That being said, i'm too fat and out of shape so I don't ride. And I am too fat and out of shape because I don't ride.

I have a cool older FS Cannondale (Jekyll something) with a lefty fork, and a hardtail GT 29er. I probably only put 2 miles on the Cannondale. Bought it used a few years ago cuz I always wanted a bike with a lefty fork.
Sounds like we're in the same place sorta. Except I don't have a cool 1 sided fork.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sounds like we're in the same place sorta. Except I don't have a cool 1 sided fork.
I really need to use it this year. I hope to go hunting out west again and if I can't get my fitness level up, I could die in the mountains LOL. The Cannondale is such a cool bike... lucked out finding one in a large frame that fits me perfect. Took it to the bike shop where it was bought new and had it tuned up and gone over a couple years ago, I don't think I ever rode it after. It also has a fox air shock for the rear, with lockout. Sounds cool but if it sits for more than a couple days you have to pump it up, and I don't have a shock pump. It has clipless pedals too, and the guy gave me the shoes for them (actually in my size). I feel like i'd break my face if I ever tried them though.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Every winter, I sit around, eat and drink too much and then I feel terrible on my bike. I easily put 15 pounds on each winter then by June it is back off because I start back riding as soon as I can. I have to start slow and easy, then pick up the pace and time I spend on the bike. This year, I started my workout plan a little late because of the cold and snow. But I have been getting up when its dark and taking the dogs for a walk in the forest behind our house. Even 20-30 minutes each morning jump starts the day.

I have always loved riding. I wish I had more time to do it, but I try to make time. Even when its 100 out, I will grab my bike for a quick trail ride at lunch. Sucks to go back to work hot and dusty, but thank God I'm not a naturally sweaty person.

Start slow guys and just keep at it.... You will be back in the saddle sooner than you think.

Rob

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
A little late to this thread but I took up MTB about 5 years ago. Needed to rehab after a freak Motorcycle accident. Lucky to be alive and was not really supposed to be able to walk with out crutches. I became hooked and it has kept me moving. There are sometimes I cant ride as much as I want. I do anything from 10mi to 45 to 50mi rides. I have even started doing some bike backing trips. Did a four day 195mi this November. I now just build my bikes from the ground up with the frame and components I want. You are never to old or out of shape. I will be 60 in july. You gotta keep moving . I have 6 bikes including a full suspension. I ride the hardtail more though. Picture is of my Ritchey that I built and my pack bike set up

20200405 113041 20201024 123901

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Funny this should get brought back up. I have a new Diamondback Release 29-1 on the way...

02 0310189 release 29 1 2021 19106 russet brown matte web profile

...so I'm going in full send. May die of a heart attack, but I guess that's better than dying a slow death and then a heart attack. I've bought cars for less money...

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not really a mountain bike but this is what my old fat butt DON'T spend enough time on. now that the weather is starting to break I am going to try to slowly get back at it.IMG 20200519 171828 1

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Funny this should get brought back up. I have a new Diamondback Release 29-1 on the way...

View attachment 327593
...so I'm going in full send. May die of a heart attack, but I guess that's better than dying a slow death and then a heart attack. I've bought cars for less money...
I know what you mean about having spent more money on cars. Just to build my ritchey hard tail was as much or mor than the cost of portals. Welcome to the new rabbit hole

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not really a mountain bike but this is what my old fat butt DON'T spend enough time on. now that the weather is starting to break I am going to try to slowly get back at it.View attachment 327603
Perfect bike for multi use. Combo pavement, gravel some single track. Just have fun and enjoy the view

D

donia

Sep 25, 2020
Miss’ippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to, before I got a “real job“ as a desk jockey…college life was so much more laid back and enjoyable. I mean, I rode a bike a lot, as we don’t exactly have mountains in Miss’ippi. Started on a Giant Iguana that got thieved, then (my favorite before I outgrew it) a Specialzed Stumpjumper M2 and now a Trek X-caliber 29’r that hangs in my garage pretending to be a bat. It’s hard for me to make it through the 2 week taint conditioning period to actually enjoy the ride, now days!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s hard for me to make it through the 2 week taint conditioning period to actually enjoy the ride, now days!
LOL to this!
I've gotten a little used to it but I think I may buy some of those padded riding shorts anyway. I seriously considered a Trek Fuel EX 5...it's simply stunning in the yellow/dark grey paint. But I didn't want to deal with the LBS...and I just kept coming back to the Diamondback for some reason.

Speaking of Diamondback, check out Berm Peak on YouTube. One of the best "content creators" out there...
There's also a "Berm Peak express" for less bikey stuff or shorts...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!