P500 Ariz street legal?

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Considering purchase of P500. Reliability, 50" width, gear driven, manual shift capability, don't need speed.
Here is Ariz it's a huge advantage in many/most areas to be street legal.
What all is required?
What is the best, simplest way to do that? (My mechanic skills ave at best.)
Bob C., Globe, Az.

Reactions: sharp
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Get street legal included in your out the door price ! You want dual use plates =primarily off road but legal for on road too .
That was one way OTD and legal got me . Ride now gives off road only and thats not what you want . Rear view mirror , lighted license plate , and horn are required to be street legal . Make sure you specify what you want .

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Huck, motorcycle tags rather than recreational vehicle tags right?
Lighted license plate? Holy jumpin' cow! Good to know.

Reactions: sharp
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are three ways to register an ATV/UTV in Arizona. Two require it to be street legal which means rear view mirror(s), a horn and a license plate light (and brake lights that come on with the brake but that comes stock). You can register it as an "RV" but cannot operate it any streets or public roads including forest service roads. You can register it as fully on-road like your car or truck but you will pay full registration like your car which will be a bundle. You need insurance and a yearly emissions inspection. You can register it as mainly off-road with "some" highway use, I think it says about 10% but I am going from memory here and that can be dangerous. This method means reduced registration (about $25 a year) no emissions but you still need insurance. You also need an OHV sticker on the last two ($25 a year).

In the event that I missed something, and probably did, go to Arizona Game and Fish's Web page and then to the OHV section. It is pretty well explained there.

Arizona Game & Fish Department - Off Highway Vehicles

Here is the entire brochure: http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/ohv/atv_brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: HUCK
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Since I messed up buying my Pioneer and only got off road plate , I took my paper work to a foot notes office and they hooked me up with the correct plate .

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Many thanks for the ideas, information. Bob C., Globe

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the added info. If you didn't, you might read my post. Pretty much what I said. The stage two plate that you mention is the cheapest and the most simple, especially for those of us in Maricopa or Pima Co. No emission inspections required each year and MUCH cheaper plate renewal ($12) + $25 for the OHV. I was a cop (retired now) for 35 years in the metro area, and will tell you that most police here know about the registration differences but have little time to worry about them BUT, if you are in a crash, riding on the street, or on some open dirt lot, you will get stopped and you will get your registration checked. If your are in places where G&F patrol, you will get checked for the OHV and cited if you do not have it. G&F, especially pushes OHV rules. These checks are coming more often with the number of ATV/UTV crashes and death.

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great info. Sounds like the partial MC plate with "partial" road use is by far the best!
Back in the day, when I had a quad, can remember many times when it was necessary to cross or use a paved road for a ways just to "get back to camp."
I did have MC plates back then. Can remember insurance, a rear view mirror, a horn, headlights & tail lights, brake light, BUT cannot remember this ---> an illuminated license plate holder for at night. Hmmmm...
Thanks all.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
ARS 28-925C. The license plate must be lit with a white light. It does not necessarily have to be the holder that is lit. I think you will find that most vehicles have license plate light or two but the holder is not lighted. The Popo needs to be able to read that plate :)

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
No make it an illuminated license plate with a white light :)

Stopping a vehicle without PC to do that generally is not done. BUT, if there is something there that is not legal you might get stopped and from there a safety inspection made. Something missing or not working-citation. Most time we were too busy with other stuff to worry about some dirt bike or ATV but, no helmet and underage, no eye wear and no windshield questionable plate, time for a stop.

C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed in a manner that illuminates with a white light the rear license plate and renders it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear.  A tail lamp or tail lamps together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear license plate shall be wired to provide that the tail lamp or lamps are lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted - See more at: Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-925 | FindLaw

Reactions: Arizona
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!