Assembling the heater

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
looks great binford we have some talented fabricators on this site thats for sure

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Sure,

The fans here. Keep in mind, I'd go with something smaller if you can find one.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical ... 6-1406.axd

Heater core, I picked the most generic ( easiest access tubes) and cheapest I could find. (In hindsight, I think I might try to find a 5/8" hose core instead of this 3/4", as the Y fittings I'm finding are for 5/8" cores)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-90-Ford-Me ... true&rt=nc

The 2" duct was from here ( Keep in mind if you order- 10ft means 10ft STRETCHED to its max apparently.., not relaxed. I wasn't too happy with this. Get extra if you think you'll need it) It is VERY thick, durable hose though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#duct-hose/=plrt7o

And the Foam I used in box was this, 1" wide x 1/4" thick.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-sheets/=plrtj7

I also still have the cad files for the full box. I could cnc plasma cut the parts if you'd like I suppose, just let me know. I can roll the mount tubes too.

Keep in mind I'm no engineer, but I do CNC work as a side job/hobby, and the box seems to fit well. I didnt leave alot of room for foam, I might use thinner than 1/4" if I was to do it again, I wanted to line the whole inside sides of box to protect the core, and it was a super tight fit with 1/4" foam.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
rellison110 said:
I have to give Honda two thumbs up on their add on items. I have installed the winch and mount, the light bar, the accessory switch panel and fuse box, the rear bumper, the Bimini top, size mirrors and half windshield, and in all cases they are top quality. The instructions provided have been well thought out and everything fit perfect. I spoke to someone at the dealership yesterday and they came out to look at my winch installation because they were having trouble installing a aftermarket version. Kudos to fabricating, which I also do sometimes, but for me and these items, Honda rocks! I did find skid plates that I ordered on eBay that are half the cost of Honda, both are aluminum.

I do agree, Honda of course has excellent engineers, however, they make more per hour than I do :D

$550 for a heater, thats not complete and ready to go (Have to use Honda acc panel), is just too much for me, atleast when its fairly simple to do at home. Doors, windshields, fabric and plastic, are not my thing. I'll pay for those!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Looks good binfordw. I wished I had a cnc to play around with. This setup will surley come in handy in the cold.
Yep Honda is proud of there accessories for sure. You have saved yourself a lot of money. Good job.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
Binfordw, I know that you are still working on the heater and winch, but clearly you are a good fabricator and I welcome any ideas that you might have on fabricating a spare tire mount. I am considering either a swing away or by using the hitch.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I haven't looked into designs yet, although I had thought of some sort of tire carrier/bumper with room for gas packs or etc. I'm not sure how it would work out on a sxs, since there isn't a frame to mount to like on a jeep. I'm sure on a 700-4 it wouldn't be too bad, just by tying into the rear rollcage.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't bought the tubing to do it but I have a hitch carrier I use on my SUV I'm going to build an offset that raises it up so by using it I'm not killing the ground clearance. It will be probably 18-20 inches above the level of the receiver now. It would carry a cooler, tools, spares, small deer, hog, or probably about 150lbs (there will be a lot of leverage with it being as far back as it will be) of anything WHILE you have 4 seats in use.

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
Another fab'er putting there own spin on custom accessories. Great job binfordw. just like the other guys. I do envy your skills.
Thanks so much for sharing.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Just a quick update, I'm still working on my heater, Getting the front doors has sparked new interest in the heater for sure!

I finally received the last parts I need, the water fittings. I'm currently watching paint dry on the heater housing, I cut the 3" holes needed in the floor panel for my vents and mounted them, and wired the switches in the dash panel so I could rivet the dash panel in and be done with it.

I have pretty good hopes that this heater will have people pulling sockhats and gloves off in sub freezing temps fairly easily.

All I need to do to test it is cut and splice the water fittings, and wire the dash switch to the fan. Perhaps I'll have an initial heater review by the weekend?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I'am very curious to see where your going to splice into the water system. I have a idea of were I'am going to feed mine from,and it's not from the rad hose's.I want hot engine antifreeze running through my heater before it even leaves the engine via. the thermostat.

advertisement
B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I'll just be splicing into the coolant hoses, just as all other kits do. Ideally, I think I would look into making a fitting/ thermostat housing setup, but I don't see it being worth the time involved.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about just installing a bypass valve of some type.
I would think you would not want core to flow during the summer.
But leaving it flowing could result in cooler temps all year long.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
new guy here.
I've been watching your heater build nice work.
as far as hook up your not going to get a lot of heat from the radiator hoses. the water only flows when the thermostat opens and it will be easer for the water to go though the radiator than the heater. the good news is this has two good places to get the water from. if your running 3/4 hoses you can get the return from the oil cooler this is the top hose from the cooler. this hose will give you water heat and oil heat.
if your running 5/8 hose there is a 5/8 buy pass hose that goes from the lower front of the motor (water pump hosing) to the front of the cycler. this is the circulation to keep the water moving while the thermostat is closed. both will give you constant heat. just make one of them go though the heater core and back to there normal rough. my heater will be in in a couple of days and I ended up with 5/8 hose so I will be using the buy pass. in hind sight the 3/4 would have been better. But would have taken little longer to get the heat on warm ups.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
spifyd said:
new guy here.
as far as hook up your not going to get a lot of heat from the radiator hoses. the water only flows when the thermostat opens and it will be easer for the water to go though the radiator than the heater. the good news is this has two good places to get the water from. if your running 3/4 hoses you can get the return from the oil cooler this is the top hose from the cooler. this hose will give you water heat and oil heat.
if your running 5/8 hose there is a 5/8 buy pass hose that goes from the lower front of the motor (water pump hosing) to the front of the cycler. this is the circulation to keep the water moving while the thermostat is closed. both will give you constant heat. just make one of them go though the heater core and back to there normal rough. my heater will be in in a couple of days and I ended up with 5/8 hose so I will be using the buy pass. in hind sight the 3/4 would have been better. But would have taken little longer to get the heat on warm ups.

Great info- I think this changes my plans!

Maybe I didn't mess up getting 3/4" core after all.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
spifyd said:
new guy here.
I'am glad to see that someone else has figured this out as well. I've already planned on doing this,just haven't started yet, but maybe in the next couple days.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
But you were just going to keep it a secret huh? Nice..

Thanks again to spifyd for sharing the info

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
But you were just going to keep it a secret huh? Nice..

Thanks again to spifyd for sharing the info
Sorry I don't like to say stuff in case something was to go, wrong and it didn't work and ,then you'll be mad at me.I was actually going to feed mine from the bottom of the thermostat,[there's a hose comming out already] I was going to tee into there and feed into my heater from there and tee into just before the water pump for my return.I figure by doing this it will still let the water flow through the oil cooler,and also flow through the heater.I have a heat control valve that adjusts the water flow through the heater hose so in the summer it's shut off.Or also control the heat that the heater puts out.I figure by teeing off the spots I mentioned and having the control valve either turned off or on won't affect the flow through the oil cooler.I was going to post this for everyone to see but thought I'd try it first and if there's any problems then no one would have done the screw up due to what I'am figuring on doing.If it works I'll let you know and if it doesn't I'll let you know. I'll be trying this in the next few days,so I'll keep everyone in the know.or fail.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Just finished(completely!) installing the heater and riveting down the dash panel this morning. ALL,, ALL I need to do now is hook up some heated water to it!! I plan to look for this tonight, I need to pull my rear doors to tilt the bed. I really hope to have a test result with a full cab+ my heater by late tonight/tomorrow.

I drove the Pioneer to work last night, as we had decent snow/ drifting. It was around 0 degrees this morning when I left. I sure coulda used that heater!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
Just finished(completely!) installing the heater and riveting down the dash panel this morning. ALL,, ALL I need to do now is hook up some heated water to it!! I plan to look for this tonight, I need to pull my rear doors to tilt the bed. I really hope to have a test result with a full cab+ my heater by late tonight/tomorrow.

I drove the Pioneer to work last night, as we had decent snow/ drifting. It was around 0 degrees this morning when I left. I sure coulda used that heater!
Wow your comming right along with it.Sure be nice to know how well the heater keeps the interior warm. I'am still quite away's behind on getting things done to mine.Seems like other stuff get's into the way and take's priority.Has truck problems now all this snow to move etc: plus extreme weather,lol.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Odd. I removed the oil cooler return hose, and hooked my heater cores lines in- one on the upper cooler return port, and one on the engine. I had no flow to the radiator- and the engine would have overheated. Looking into it currently.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!