Assembling the heater

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
Odd. I removed the oil cooler return hose, and hooked my heater cores lines in- one on the upper cooler return port, and one on the engine. I had no flow to the radiator- and the engine would have overheated. Looking into it currently.
You shouldn't have flow to the Rad untill the motor heats up enough to open the Thermostat,once the thermostat opens then water will flow into the rad to be cooled.Once the thermostat close's the flow will stop.That's the idea of having a thermostat to allow the motor to run at a constant temp. This is why a heater works best when the water flowing through it is the same temp as what's in the engine block .

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Brain fart on my part. Had air in it apparently. I removed cap and core hose with it restarted and it sucked more coolant in, started flowing.

I have heat now, putting engine cover back on now to take a spin and see how it does.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
First run at 15 deg.

Not quite what I had hoped for. The engine temp seemed to struggle to stay "warm", it dropped temp when moving at first- even reading "lo" when moving at slower speeds (after running 20 minutes +)

I then tried a radiator cover- a piece of cardboard cut to fit, to block airflow, and it really seemed to help alot. The engine stayed at 2 bars, even when moving slowly. Now It puts out air "almost too hot" to lay you hand against, which is all I had hoped for really. The rest, is in sealing the air leaks and gaps in the cab. I can say, after driving home at 0 deg this morn with no heat, Its a serious game changer!. Even with the air leaks and gap in the cab, its a source of heat, to thaw fingers and toes- and that makes a huge difference in comfort.

I won't be cruising around in a T-shirt and shorts at 0 degrees, BUT, I will have a clean windscreen, and warm hands and toes!!

Also, the "huge" 410 cfm fan seems to work fine. We had it on high, and it maintained heat better than I had thought it might. I was afraid too much airflow would cool things too much, but that doesnt seem to be an issue.

Now off to take another ride in the snow!!

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
You are recirculating the air inside the cab aren't you. By that I mean not sucking cold air from the outside and trying to heat it. Sorry that might be a dumb question but would make a huge difference.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
pipefighter577 said:
You are recirculating the air inside the cab aren't you. By that I mean not sucking cold air from the outside and trying to heat it. Sorry that might be a dumb question but would make a huge difference.

No, its pulling air from under hood. I wasn't sure if I'd need to plumb the fan intake back inside cab or not, There is little room to work with, so its not exactly an easy option. The heat from vents is plenty hot now, I just need to seal the cab up a bit better.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
so today I hooked up my heater to the buy pass hose. turns out I was wrong about using the buy pass hose. when the thermostat opens all the way up you lose you heat. so to tomorrow I will be going to the oil cooler. the oil cooler get all of the water that travels to the engine. it is the only out put from the water pump.in other words if the water is coming back from the radiator it going though the oil cooler and also if it s just circulating though the bypass the water is going though the oil cooler. so in summery the bypass doesn't work but the oil cooler does.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I filled most air gaps in the cab now. I couldn't find a "perfect" way to block the shifters. I removed the drive shifter, and poked a square of rubber over the shaft. The rubber blocks the air well- I haven't done the 4wd shifter yet as its a bit trickier to get off, but noticed very little air through it. I can feel almost no cold air with my hand 4 inches above the shifters now. Before- just as much air blew through the shifter as came out the heater vent.

After the big improvement this made in the heat, I used some plastic "bubble wrap" style insulation sheeting to fill gaps around the seat belts, and the gap above the roll bar and hardtop. I also used a bit of black duct tape to seal the gaps in the windscreen at top and the 2 piece section.

Its borderline hot now! We took a cruise to the barn, and could feel virtually no breezes or cold air. Its supposed to be bitter cold in the next few days, That'll be a real test.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Pictures of my dash and floor vents

I used a .125" piece of stainless for the dash, I wanted to fit more switches, but there just isn't much room to be had behind the dash. The vents fit, and left little room for anything else. The switches I did fit are power and in/out for my winch.

Crazy good hand warmers! Also can be turned to defrost windscreen. (If you look, you can see the rubber I used to block the air from the Drive shifter)

Photo18

I used bigger, 2.5" vents for the floor. I've had boots+coveralls on in my testing so far so haven't noticed too much heat down there- but we just went to the barn after dark tonight, and I left a beer on the floorboard. It was obviously warmed after 10 minutes or so of idling (the engine temp was even 1 bar)

Photo28

Photo35

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I moved mine to the oil cooler outlet today good heat now. after the oil heats up.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I installed my heater under the the dash ,I have the EPS installed so with it being under there it's really tight. No room to ever work on anything if I was to install the heater under the hood. I don't mind the heater inside the cab I think it gives off more heat this way.I do have the air intake on one side of the fan, vented out under the hood so there's always fresh air being drawn in.So half the air is fresh air and the other half is heated air.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
Pictures of my dash and floor vents

(If you look, you can see the rubber I used to block the air from the Drive shifter)

[
How did you get the rubber under there did you do it from underneath and did you have to remove the shifter knob.I'am wanting to do something to mine and curious as to how you went about doing what you did.thanks.

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
spifyd said:
so today I hooked up my heater to the buy pass hose. turns out I was wrong about using the buy pass hose. when the thermostat opens all the way up you lose you heat. so to tomorrow I will be going to the oil cooler. the oil cooler get all of the water that travels to the engine. it is the only out put from the water pump.in other words if the water is coming back from the radiator it going though the oil cooler and also if it s just circulating though the bypass the water is going though the oil cooler. so in summery the bypass doesn't work but the oil cooler does.

Spifyd, can you post a pic of where you tapped into the coolant supply and did you run in line with it or did you feed the heat from one place and return at another?

B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
Is this hose that looks like a reverse "S" the one you guys tapped into? Not sure how that thing could be an oil cooler there is nothing cooling about it. Seems the coolant and the oil would be the same temperature in this setup. Im a little curious as to what this thing is for. But anyways thats what you went to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,463
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
BuggyMasters said:
Is this hose that looks like a reverse "S" the one you guys tapped into? Not sure how that thing could be an oil cooler there is nothing cooling about it. Seems the coolant and the oil would be the same temperature in this setup. Im a little curious as to what this thing is for. But anyways thats what you went to?
Me too Buggy, I was confused also. I had to go look at it in the service manual. I have learned that this is actually a water cooled - oil cooler.

Attachments

• cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,196
B

BuggyMasters

Jan 5, 2014
Fantastic picture of the coolant flow. I was going to ask earlier if someone had a pic of this but figured there was just no way someone would have it. Thanks for posting that!

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I had to remove the shift lever. Pull the knob off, remove cable and a bolt.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
BuggyMasters said:

Yes, I just removed the "S" hose and put my heater core lines on each fitting. They are 3/4", which worked perfect for me!

As a side note, it takes about 6-7 feet of hose to reach from there to the heater core. 14ft did both my lines with a little left over.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
I had to remove the shift lever. Pull the knob off, remove cable and a bolt.
Thanks I figured that's what I was going to have to do.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Incase this helps someone-

A pic showing the "S" hose (Oil cooler to engine) removed and hoses running to heater core.

Heaterhoses

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Pic of the heater install "finished".. Not exactly proud of my wiring lol, but in my defense its -8 here today and I wanted it working!

Photo4 2

I was out for several hours today, in sub 0 temps with windchills hitting -30 to -40. I still have a gap somewhere around the lower area of the doors, which the 30mph winds found easily when driving perpendicular to them- this cooled the cab down noticeably. When out of the crosswinds, even when going 30+ on the road, it started to warm up again. All in all, I'm loving having a heater!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!