P1000 Automotive Rear view mirror clamp to button GENTEX compass temp

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I gave a spare GM GENTEX automotive mirror I want to mount in my pioneer 1000-5. I have the outside temp sensor and compass wired up.

Only problem is getting the damn automotive button to stick to the upper cage. I’ve tried rearview mirror adhesive and JB weld. Left for over 12 hours and as soon as I mount mirror it falls off.

Can’t glue button mount to windshield since I have the SATV that flips open. I think it would bounce a lot anyway.

Anyone know of a clamp to button or flat steel clamp I can glue mount to?

797B1500 5530 471F A53A 8662F56B2F7F

Reactions: sharp
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd say if you had a buzz welder you would all ready have thought to tack the mount to the bar. What about getting a large "P" clamp. Slide the mounting plate onto the mirror and drill a hole through the mirror base and the mounting base. Pre drill a hole through the "P" clamp and you might have some luck with a sweet mirror.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I LOVE it! I asked this same question a while back because I wanted to do the same thing. My thought was to use the mirror that had the backup cam built in too.

P1000 - Rear View Mirror - Automotive Syle?

Where did you get the mirror? How did you wire it up?

Cheapest place to get one is at your local junkyard. GM used in many vehicles. Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado and many later Saturn SUV.

Also on eBay. OVERSTOCK SALE TAHOE GM Gentex Auto Tint Rearview Mirror / Compass / Temp | eBay

Wiring. If mirror has auto dimming (most do) wire pin 3 to ground (pin 2). Put temp sensor in front of radiator. This is factory GM location. There is a built in algorithm on how the mirror reads temp depending on how long mirror is powered to account for radiator cooling off etc.

I used some 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire for the pos / neg connection and temp sensor connection.

6460757C D2F7 4944 A650 B8F80AA8BBAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!