P1000 Front bumper tube clamp options

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey gang, I have a 2020 P1000-3 Deluxe. I swapped my bumper with the 5 seater as the OEM bumper didn't have the top narrower tube. I needed this tube as a place to mount the "Add a Light". Essentially, all was fine until I wanted the front-mount hitch receiver, so I had to change bumpers in order have both as an option.

My challenge right now, is the "deluxe" bumper top tube is around 32mm whereas all the rest of the tubing is 45mm. All of the Honda ROPS clamps are for the 45mm, including the one already installed on the "Add a Light" kit. Right now I am thinking of either wrapping the tube where the clamps will go to create some filler/spacer unless I can find a clamp that is built for 32mm.

Anyone have any suggestions? What kind of material would be good for spacer? Was thinking like an old bike tire or something of rubber.

Earlier thread from 2016...

Pictures of the grill with the P1000-5 bumper, Rough Country light wings, winch, and front hitch mount. And then a close up with the tube gap to be addressed :)

Honda   grill
Honda   grill   with light

Reactions: TxDoc
kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Possibly. The Add a Light kit sold in the club store, the bolts don't come off the light without completely disassembly of the light. So, I am trying to reuse the hard mounted 45mm clamps.

The other alternative if I can't get this working, is mounts like you shared and just getting new lights. Creates a whole new set of problems :) Not that that is bad, it is fun working/building on these machines.

Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Possibly. The Add a Light kit sold in the club store, the bolts don't come off the light without completely disassembly of the light. So, I am trying to reuse the hard mounted 45mm clamps.

The other alternative if I can't get this working, is mounts like you shared and just getting new lights. Creates a whole new set of problems :) Not that that is bad, it is fun working/building on these machines.
I'd figure the thickness I needed for a shim and then look for a dense but bendable plastic that thick, to wrap around the tube. But I think you'd probably have to use a setscrew to keep the lights from rotating on the tube and that would compromise adjustability.

Reactions: TxDoc and kaspar139
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@kaspar139, Bushing your tube out with a rubber type material is not a bad idea. A strip of innertube wrapped around the tubing to achieve the right diameter would work fine. A lot of the pipe clamps for mounting those type of lights come with rubber inserts to accommodate different pipe diameters, check out amazon for some options.

Reactions: kaspar139 and CID
kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All good options, and finding some rubber gasket material is I think the best plan for now. Assuming it is tight enough (likely), it will be the long term plan. What @Hondasxs mentioned... it looks like you CAN disassemble the lights to slide of the fixed mounting ROPS clamps on the Add a Light. I thought by attempting to do that I would break the seal of the light, but perhaps not? Either way, I'll try the rubber gasket approach first, otherwise the flat mounts recommended would be a great option.

Thanks all for the input!

Reactions: CID and packer58
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@kaspar139, Bushing your tube out with a rubber type material is not a bad idea. A strip of innertube wrapped around the tubing to achieve the right diameter would work fine. A lot of the pipe clamps for mounting those type of lights come with rubber inserts to accommodate different pipe diameters, check out amazon for some options.
Ditto this.
If you search Amazon you should be able to find UTV bar clamps with multiple size options (rubber inserts) for under $20.
The rubber inserts are preformed and often have a side ridge so they stay under the clamp. Use the inserts with the built in clamps and use the new clamps for your next need.

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks all, I ordered that kit from Amazon. Said "same day" delivery so hopefully it is. I will post final photo once I have it together.

Again, appreciate the rapid feedback!

Reactions: packer58 and CID
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@kaspar139 These are some of the clamps, heavy-duty through light plastic, and the many, many left over rubber inserts from my UTV projects.
Next time, I know I will have the right part and won't need to order again.
Yep, next time.

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks good, just out of curiosity, is there enough room to mount your light bar behind the bumper tubing for protection ??
Sadly, not enough room, it it just too tall, but I am good with its location. It sat on the lower bar before I added the front hitch, so its essentially as exposed as before :)

Reactions: packer58
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
so its essentially as exposed as before :)
Be careful how you describe things on this site .............. there are some crafty / devious guys on here that would make a joke out of your wording ............. Don't ask me how I know ....

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@kaspar139, I also have the bumper wings on my rig, they really dress up the front end and the lights are pretty darn good. The light beam stays close to the ground, I use them a lot while predator hunting at night ........

Reactions: kaspar139

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!