P1000 Roof material options

J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure "which roof?" has been discussed repeatedly.

I'm starting to shop for one and am noticing several options. Mostly "plastic" (inclusive of the various materials), steel and aluminum. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Steel will be heavy. Does it retain heat?

Aluminum will be lighter. Also retain heat?

Plastic will be lightest. Does it reflect noise?

I'm leaning toward the Honda roof but was hoping for something flat so I can put some tie down points or a rack on it for additional storage if necessary. Is there a better option?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm starting to shop for one and am noticing several options. Mostly "plastic" (inclusive of the various materials), steel and aluminum. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I'm leaning toward the Honda roof but was hoping for something flat so I can put some tie down points or a rack on it for additional storage if necessary. Is there a better option?
I recommend going Honda or something similar, cut a piece of plywood and attach it inside to the ROP and cover it with carpet. You could stuff insulation between the plywood and the roof. Keeps the heat out and dampens the noise. A rack could be added to top of the roof if you really wanted to, but that raises the centre of gravity too much for my liking

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Any roof is going to increase the noise level inside, you can add sound deadening material to help some of you REALLY wanted to. As far as "which roof" well that's really a preference and what type of application you're needing. Most run the OEM cause it's one tough SOB. Other like @Haldog77 run either a homemade or similar steel/aluminum set up. Plenty of ideas around here on roof racks and different applications for them as well, you'll have to do some research and read up on what really works for you .

Good luck 👍

Post up whatever you decide on!!!

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Back in the early 2000's I put a 2x6 tongue and groove roof on my Polaris which was great as I used it as a moving scaffold to trim tree limbs on shooting lanes at the farm. With the addition of bolt on fishing seat posts and swivel seats it was supurb for viewing sports car races and would also serve as a moveable hunting stand if your state allows it.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anywhos

I really like my Honda OE plastic roof. It has handled every beating I have put it thru.

If I had to rechoose:
I would potentially pick a metal/flat roof. Based on the few times I would have used it to stand on top of for projects.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I appreciate the responses everyone. I'll get a quote on the Honda roof today.
Good luck J Reno. I hated paying $800 for a piece of plastic, but the Honda roof is hard to beat. It fits tight and keeps the rain out.

Reactions: NorthernJoe
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I think I am going to try alu-panel: easy to cut, and should be easy enough to bend down edges. My FIL runs a sign shop, and has tonnes of it from signs he has taken down when doing a replacement job. I will have to put some sort of dampening material under it, otherwise it would be really loud.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Good luck J Reno. I hated paying $800 for a piece of plastic, but the Honda roof is hard to beat. It fits tight and keeps the rain out.
J Reno? I thought she was dead? :oops::D

Reactions: StewB
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an aluminum roof (found a deal used). its a lower profile and i was worried about trailer fitment. I added two 4' sections of L-track down either side to tie goose decoys down when needed and added a roof mesh pocket storage organizer thingy inside to keep a few light items if needed. It does get hot to the touch in the sunshine but I dont put my hand up there anyway.

IMG 7204 IMG 5320

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
IMG 4953
IMG 5128

scrap aluminum, .091, sheared it up, bent the edges, moved on

no clue if it gets hot, cold or is noisy - its an off road machine - thats part of the game

Reactions: CJQuig
J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like that.
I have an aluminum roof (found a deal used). its a lower profile and i was worried about trailer fitment. I added two 4' sections of L-track down either side to tie goose decoys down when needed and added a roof mesh pocket storage organizer thingy inside to keep a few light items if needed. It does get hot to the touch in the sunshine but I dont put my hand up there anyway.

View attachment 406439 View attachment 406440

J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the OEM roof and installed it yesterday.

Great fit, I like the clamp system.

Note - I have the Superatv glass windshield installed. I made it work with the Honda roof without modification but it was a BEAR to get on! The only thing I ended up doing was removing the top weatherstripping from the windshield. No way would it have fit otherwise. The roof clamps are butted up against the windshield top ledge.

If someone wanted to, they could cut off the top edge of the windshield and have a much easier install. It would be a long cut, but it would make life much easier.

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Got the OEM roof and installed it yesterday.

Great fit, I like the clamp system.

Note - I have the Superatv glass windshield installed. I made it work with the Honda roof without modification but it was a BEAR to get on! The only thing I ended up doing was removing the top weatherstripping from the windshield. No way would it have fit otherwise. The roof clamps are butted up against the windshield top ledge.

If someone wanted to, they could cut off the top edge of the windshield and have a much easier install. It would be a long cut, but it would make life much easier.
I plan on removing the SATV flip-up and installing the SATV glass windshield in the near future. Will see how that goes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!