P1000 Front Light Options with Factory Roof & Windshield

T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got the plastic factory roof and factory windshield and need some light options. When plowing, my headlight light gets blocked by the blade. I've seen some brackets that mount at the roll bar connection, but that doesn't get my light all that much higher.

Any suggestions you have for getting light cubes up high near the roof would be appreciated.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are Rough Country pan flood lights mounted by longer bolts through the Seizmik windshield clamps.
They aren't too high, but work great for plowing. I could mount them higher on the next set of windshield clamps, but then they'd be in the line of sight for normal driving. Not a big deal, but I like having them lower.
Cube lights are often spot lights and don't work as well.

View

Edit: Saw Vikes79's post and thought I'd add. I have just one light in the rear, but it has "side cast" reflectors that help light up the bed and whatever's behind when plowing. It does the job and having a rear light really improves safety.

View

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a big bar light and side pods mounted to some eBay purchased tabs that slide into where the upper ROPs mounts into the lower section on the front of the rig. The pods are just mounted to the side bolts of the big bar.

IMG 5162 IMG 5163

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use and love Black Oak led lights. Front is 20"combo spot and flood. Back is same but 6". I cut some plates out of 1/8 steel and put on top and bottom of roof for reinforcement PXL 20220125 012118611PXL 20220125 0122552812

Last edited:
T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are Rough Country pan flood lights mounted by longer bolts through the Seizmik windshield clamps.
They aren't too high, but work great for plowing. I could mount them higher on the next set of windshield clamps, but then they'd be in the line of sight for normal driving. Not a big deal, but I like having them lower.
Cube lights are often spot lights and don't work as well.

View attachment 415244

Edit: Saw Vikes79's post and thought I'd add. I have just one light in the rear, but it has "side cast" reflectors that help light up the bed and whatever's behind when plowing. It does the job and having a rear light really improves safety.

View attachment 415277
I think I may go this route to start out with. Should get me the height I need and relatively easy to do. Appreciate the note about the cubes being too focused. For the rear light, so you have a link for the mount and light by chance?

I have a big bar light and side pods mounted to some eBay purchased tabs that slide into where the upper ROPs mounts into the lower section on the front of the rig. The pods are just mounted to the side bolts of the big bar.

View attachment 415262 View attachment 415263
This is impressive.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check out these. They got other options and the price in pretty good.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@tgillespie I think I missed your Friday post, so I hope this response is timely for you or others. But I am not a role model.
Everything I know I've learned by holding Dad's flashlight with related beatings, trial and error, or from the good and bad ideas posted on this Board.
Aftermarket lights are spot (focused on the horizon like cubes), flood (you'll see it if it's around you), and mixed (a lot of big bar and pod lights are like this, including those labeled as sidecast).
I didn't shop around and choose the Rough Country flood lights for my P1K5, I pulled them off my Teryx4 before I sold it. They were great for what I needed for plowing and that's why I kept them. Below I've included a photo of my single rear Bunker Hill sidecast pod light (the other is still in the box) and I think they would be just as good for plowing mounted up front in place of the Rough Country lights.
My constraint with the Seizmik windshield is that there's about 3/16ths between the ROPS and windshield, and I didn't want to have the lights mounted outside the width of the front bumper to get hit by branches. Most ROPS clamps are too thick to fit under the windshield or they will wing out to the side. I sometimes hit Pinyon-Juniper branches at speed and have lost a rear view mirror that way. By using the windshield taps, the lights are higher up and within the body frame. In these photos you can see where they mount now, where there is a higher mounting option, and where the rear view mirrors are outside of the body frame. Dirt and grime are courtesy of winter road driving.

Under the light mount, you can see a bit of a rubber strip. The rubber strip keeps it from spinning. I could tap it and make it solid, but I've really found that this works fine and it moves if it gets hit too hard. Locking it down might lead to breakage.

Here's from the inside looking out. Note: the black cable threaded inside the clamp is the wire going to my rear light, not part of the windshield or Rough Country pan lights.

This is a Bunker Hill sidecast pod light that I've mounted in the rear. It has a lot of light that covers anything I could back into whilst plowing. I think two of these up front would work as well as the pan lights up front.
Note: I added the the curled metal bar behind the light to keep the mesh backscreen (rolled up in this shot) from coming into contact with the cooling fins on the back of the pod light.

Hope this helps you or anyone else.

T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone confirm what RC lights you have and like?

These look real similar to the ones pictured, but the description says spot and 30 degrees, which is a bit tight.

These have a flood option on the drop down... but they're square.

I'd much rather see out to the sides than 50ft in front of me, so the flood makes sense.

Reactions: Buggyman
T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@tgillespie I think I missed your Friday post, so I hope this response is timely for you or others. But I am not a role model.
Everything I know I've learned by holding Dad's flashlight with related beatings, trial and error, or from the good and bad ideas posted on this Board.
Aftermarket lights are spot (focused on the horizon like cubes), flood (you'll see it if it's around you), and mixed (a lot of big bar and pod lights are like this, including those labeled as sidecast).
I didn't shop around and choose the Rough Country flood lights for my P1K5, I pulled them off my Teryx4 before I sold it. They were great for what I needed for plowing and that's why I kept them. Below I've included a photo of my single rear Bunker Hill sidecast pod light (the other is still in the box) and I think they would be just as good for plowing mounted up front in place of the Rough Country lights.
My constraint with the Seizmik windshield is that there's about 3/16ths between the ROPS and windshield, and I didn't want to have the lights mounted outside the width of the front bumper to get hit by branches. Most ROPS clamps are too thick to fit under the windshield or they will wing out to the side. I sometimes hit Pinyon-Juniper branches at speed and have lost a rear view mirror that way. By using the windshield taps, the lights are higher up and within the body frame. In these photos you can see where they mount now, where there is a higher mounting option, and where the rear view mirrors are outside of the body frame. Dirt and grime are courtesy of winter road driving.
View attachment 415609

View attachment 415611
Under the light mount, you can see a bit of a rubber strip. The rubber strip keeps it from spinning. I could tap it and make it solid, but I've really found that this works fine and it moves if it gets hit too hard. Locking it down might lead to breakage.

Here's from the inside looking out. Note: the black cable threaded inside the clamp is the wire going to my rear light, not part of the windshield or Rough Country pan lights.
View attachment 415610

This is a Bunker Hill sidecast pod light that I've mounted in the rear. It has a lot of light that covers anything I could back into whilst plowing. I think two of these up front would work as well as the pan lights up front.
Note: I added the the curled metal bar behind the light to keep the mesh backscreen (rolled up in this shot) from coming into contact with the cooling fins on the back of the pod light.
View attachment 415613

View attachment 415614

Hope this helps you or anyone else.

Thanks for the pointer on the rubber. I cut some X country trails and often clip branches.

Reactions: Buggyman
T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got around to installing the lights and they're working great thanks to the help I found here. I went with RC Flood Cubes in the front and a 12" bar in the back, which is flood and spot. The coverage is great for plowing and grooming now.

IMG 3933

IMG 3942

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!