P1000 Avoiding water in the air intake.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I do not have water anywhere its not supposed to be and I would like to keep it that way. After having a conversation with the dealership service guy it is clear some precautions and modifications are required to keep it that way. I live in Alaska where crossing creeks while riding is normal protocol and cant really be avoided.

I was told the high intake under the hood is not the only spot I need to worry about water getting in which is surprising to me.....apparently there is connection under the seat that water can get in when water gets over the floor boards. I plan on removing the rubber boot and sealing it up with RTV when reinstalling it.

Is there any other places I need to look at?
Is the filter box above the motor 100% sealed?
I saw somewhere someone installed a drain plug at the low point of the intake tube....thoughts?

Sorry I always have so many questions lol I am still new to the Pioneer idea and learning as I go. Thanks in advance!

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I installed a extended vent line kit as one of the first things I did before I did my first ride. :)
A quick test for leaks is with the engine running cover the intake and choke the engine out. It should hold some vacuum if all is tight. I put a bag over the snorkel when washing and usually forget to take it off when restarting. It's kind of a dumbass self test that I've wound up preforming more times than I can count.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
A quick test for leaks is with the engine running cover the intake and choke the engine out. It should hold some vacuum if all is tight. I put a bag over the snorkel when washing and usually forget to take it off when restarting. It's kind of a dumbass self test that I've wound up preforming more times than I can count.
Did that on the Talon yesterday... lol

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just tried that with a piece if cardboard… immediately died like two seconds so I guess the rubber boots that join the connections are sealed tight.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just tried that with a piece if cardboard… immediately died like two seconds so I guess the rubber boots that join the connections are sealed tight.
If you're concerned this is the easiest snorkel. I got the measurements and parts list from @Adam490 short bus build. I liked being able to see where it breathes because I'm a f***in idiot and have drowned every other off road toy I've had.

300231E5 366C 4606 9482 F1F83E6D24D8

advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I do not have water anywhere its not supposed to be and I would like to keep it that way. After having a conversation with the dealership service guy it is clear some precautions and modifications are required to keep it that way. I live in Alaska where crossing creeks while riding is normal protocol and cant really be avoided.

I was told the high intake under the hood is not the only spot I need to worry about water getting in which is surprising to me.....apparently there is connection under the seat that water can get in when water gets over the floor boards. I plan on removing the rubber boot and sealing it up with RTV when reinstalling it.

Is there any other places I need to look at?
Is the filter box above the motor 100% sealed?
I saw somewhere someone installed a drain plug at the low point of the intake tube....thoughts?

Sorry I always have so many questions lol I am still new to the Pioneer idea and learning as I go. Thanks in advance!
5A447500 8431 4994 B617 CA60718DAC07

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there any concern for water getting into anything other then the front under the hood? Filter box? Rubber boots at the connections?
Take your front seat out when washing your machine. The water will get in around the base and pretty soon it will weigh 80 pounds. I think Honda puts check valves in the bottom of the seat so that the water goes in easily, but never comes out. This could be a major problem for those in colder climates unless you enjoy sitting on ice cubes.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...apparently there is connection under the seat that water can get in when water gets over the floor boards.
I'd like to know what he's talking about here, other than the vent lines (which you've already taken care of.)

I do wonder sometimes about the entire length of the intake tube that runs from front to back. There are joints in it (do they have rubber seals?)

I did the choke-off test inadvertently myself, having covered my intake while doing some wiring and forgetting about it.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take your front seat out when washing your machine. The water will get in around the base and pretty soon it will weigh 80 pounds. I think Honda puts check valves in the bottom of the seat so that the water goes in easily, but never comes out. This could be a major problem for those in colder climates unless you enjoy sitting on ice cubes.
Yep. I have water in mine. I drilled bigger drain holes in my 700 seat. I need to do that to this one

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Send me PM for 5% off eBay prices. The 5% is applied with direct payment using PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Facebook pay. This is the kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions and tracking will be emailed. For faster shipping please Inquire it’s $3 extra

Screen shot Reviews on my page in the feed

https://m.facebook.com/Hondapioneer1000seatheatsolutions/

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon unless you drill three 1/4” holes to put the ends of the tubing into. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

Both heat shields and vent kits package without filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package Without Filter | eBay

With filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package With Filters | eBay

Just heat shields. This material is construction grade material very thick 5/16” and durable. Fire class 1 rating

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 & 3 Seat heat Shield Part 1 and part 2 | eBay

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!