Axle Grease all over - but no ripped boot?

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I know this isn't a Pioneer question, but my P500's stable buddy is a 2017 TRX 420 (Rancher 420). When doing the yearly maintenance, I noticed the front outer boot covered in what appears to be axle grease. Black, thick, sticky.

First thought, "oh great, a ripped boot". I clean all the grease up, and to my surprise...no rips in the boot. I cleaned it up super good, flexed it in every direction, but still found no rip or crack or split. I checked the clamps, they are secure.

All seems in order...jacked it up and no clicking or grinding sounds, so it's OK for now. But i'm a bit concerned about why it was covered in grease.

Anyone every experience this? Any suggestions?

Thank you all! Love the community and local vendors. Installed my crossroads glovebox and cupholders. Great addition to the horn that the kids won't stop honking...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Even if your clamps are tight cold, when the machine /axel warms up, the grease turns thinner. sometimes the clamps my seem tight but i bet when that grease is warmed up its Seeping someplace. Id take the axel out and at minimum re clamp it. wouldn't hurt to take the old boot off, re pack it, install a new boot and clamps.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda's reliability rep is in jeopardy, both my '20 and '21 Talons have leaking LF differential seals. 🙁 At least the '21 isn't dripping on the trailer like the '20 did.
I pHZvmvR L

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
So, I watched a great video on replacing the boots. I could probably do it, but man, what a hassle. I don't have the time to spend to just replace a boot (at least not right now). I think I'll just run it until she goes, and then replace the whole axle. Less overall time, and not really that much more money. Plus, I don't know how long the rip has been there, and if there is currently any contamination. Would suck to replace boot to still have axle fail in future.

Video -

Given a rip so small I can't find it (and assuming it doesn't get significantly worse), how much time you think I have? 1 month? 1 year? 5 years? Only put on about 300 miles a year... Other than blowing axle, any other possible damage?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So, I watched a great video on replacing the boots. I could probably do it, but man, what a hassle. I don't have the time to spend to just replace a boot (at least not right now). I think I'll just run it until she goes, and then replace the whole axle. Less overall time, and not really that much more money. Plus, I don't know how long the rip has been there, and if there is currently any contamination. Would suck to replace boot to still have axle fail in future.

Video -

Given a rip so small I can't find it (and assuming it doesn't get significantly worse), how much time you think I have? 1 month? 1 year? 5 years? Only put on about 300 miles a year... Other than blowing axle, any other possible damage?
If you font take the time to do the boot and re pack the grease (much cheaper than an axel) you can comprise the Bearings in that axel and youll be into a new axel when a boot repack job could have save you. Plus invaluable experience you will gain, cuz its bound to happen to your Pioneer sooner or later! Takes the same amount of time to do either. Just depends on how much $ you want to spend?

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Rem - yeah, I get it. It's not so much about the money right now, it's the time. I'm massively underwater on all my chores, land maintenance and home maintenance. Plus trying to spend time with kids. Just don't have a day to spend teaching myself to do this.

Thanks for the tips ya'll. I'll follow up with how long the axle lasts...

Reactions: Remington and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!