Az trails;

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking to ride some of the many trails in Az. visible on Google Earth. The many trails along Az.Rt177, and 77 (Winkelman) end up at old mining areas. I like to rock hound the mine dumps. But they all are gated, closed to the public.
I have seen photos from Az. riders on this site exploring trails to mine workings, so I'll ask, how do you get access to the public lands behind the gates? Do you get permits from the Forest Service, BLM?
I'm from southern Utah, My son lives in Az., we would like to meet at one of these trails and spend the day exploring.
Thank you, Jim.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've ridden a lot of Utah and Arizona's public and BLM lands, if there isn't a lock on the gate, it's most likely livestock control and frequently posted 'please keep gate closed'. Let yourself through and close the gate behind you. Now if it says - 'keep the F out', I'm not going to go through those gates but they're few and far between.

@Lil_Steve

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Most of what you'll be riding is state trust land, which requires a cheap permit. I'm not sure what a machine from Utah needs now, but @WillyBill can comment on that.
Many of the gates will have "No trespassing" but then the fine print will say STL permit required. Generally, if there are not signs, it's game on.

I'll talk more about Winkelman and such when I have more time, but @PJon rides that area as well.

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
yes CDI, copy the livestock gates, common around here.
DG Rider, good info. Love to hear about Az Trust land and where to get permits.
yes, tell me about the trails around Winkelman. Looks like some beautiful country around there. Thanks guys.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to ride some of the many trails in Az. visible on Google Earth. The many trails along Az.Rt177, and 77 (Winkelman) end up at old mining areas. I like to rock hound the mine dumps. But they all are gated, closed to the public.
I have seen photos from Az. riders on this site exploring trails to mine workings, so I'll ask, how do you get access to the public lands behind the gates? Do you get permits from the Forest Service, BLM?
I'm from southern Utah, My son lives in Az., we would like to meet at one of these trails and spend the day exploring.
Thank you, Jim.
If you’re planning on riding a machine registered in Utah you’ll need to get an out of state OHV sticker and a permit to ride on state lands from AZ fish & wildlife. Your son can probably help with these if he is a rider here. There is lots of good riding areas in the area you described. One ride that I recently made was to the Chilito mine north of Hayden, Az coming in from SR. 77 about 2-1/2 miles north of Winkleman. We unloaded our trailers at the Shores campground. You can check out the trails on google maps and Gaia. It’s less than a 25 mile ride in and out and utilize different trails for over half of the ride. Be sure to check out old underground copper mine (couldn’t find its name) at (33.07454, -110.78999).

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
DG Rider, the trip reports are a fascinating read. I enjoyed the Coolidge Airfield report. 1986, I was based at Coolidge on a air tanker Forest Service contract, flying a Lockheed P2V Neptune.
The DC-7 in your photos was old tanker 32, a fire bomber owned by T&G Aviation. It was delivered new to Delta Airlines, and has recently been flown back to the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta, Ga. where it is polished up and proudly on display. The C-130’s also belong to T&G, who under a different name now fly C-130’s world wide out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, that was Formally Williams Air Force Base. Those old airframes are for parts now. T&G was a big time fire bomber outfit. Good people there long time ago. Good job.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG Rider, the trip reports are a fascinating read. I enjoyed the Coolidge Airfield report. 1986, I was based at Coolidge on a air tanker Forest Service contract, flying a Lockheed P2V Neptune.
The DC-7 in your photos was old tanker 32, a fire bomber owned by T&G Aviation. It was delivered new to Delta Airlines, and has recently been flown back to the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta, Ga. where it is polished up and proudly on display. The C-130’s also belong to T&G, who under a different name now fly C-130’s world wide out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, that was Formally Williams Air Force Base. Those old airframes are for parts now. T&G was a big time fire bomber outfit. Good people there long time ago. Good job.
Sorry...I should be clear....that's not MY blog. Just one I found useful from a guy who grew up in the area. He is/was a teacher somewhere, but his name escapes me at the moment.

EDIT: Ernie Parks is his name.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also, I've posted pics of some of the areas you are asking about here:

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So...the areas east of Winkelman are not something I'm familiar with, but the aforementioned Chililto mine is a good ride with lots of old mining. Further up 177 towards past Kearny, old ray road heads up the mountains to the Greyhorse mine mentioned in the blog above. Nice views up there.

The area to the west of winkleman, Kearny etc is an area I'm pretty familiar with. The problem down around winkelman is getting across the river from 77 to access it. The only guaranteed to be open way I know of is to take dudleyville road off 77 then cut west on San Pedro road. This fords the river on concrete slab and seems to be fairly shallow even at high flow rates, but obviously you'll want to test this. Once on that side of the river it seems like pretty much any of the washes to the west will lead to something. There are a few private ranches back up in the area and they are clearly gated and marked, but for the most part it's all public land and you can ride for days. There are a few pipeline trails in the area as well. The further south you go, the less exploration I have done.

One of the best places to go...again... Is to head up to Kelvin and take the Florence Kelvin highway for a few miles. After you hit gravel, you climb a bit and pass a trailhead for the Arizona trail, you'll drop down into a wash near a ranch. This is Ripsey wash, which can be a feeder for several other trails, and has Ripsey mine near the south end. You can Google ripsy mine and find out a lot more than I can really tell you here, but it's a pretty popular stopping point and a lot of infrastructure remains, including a few open shafts.
Directly across the peak from ripsey mine, to the east, another forest service road will take you up to the florence-lead and silver mine, which also has a horizontal shaft and some infrastructure left behind, and an old mining shack. Further down the canyon is hackberry mine in the edge of hackberry wash. There's a couple of old buildings there but there's not much in the way of tailings or anything. Hackberry wash, again, can be used as a feeder for several other trails including to make a loop back over to what's called the tecote ranch road.

If you stay on Florence Kelvin highway and keep going to the top of the mountain, you'll come across the Western end of tocote ranch road on the east side of the road....Though at this point it's called Old Florence Kelvin road (not to be confused with "New" Florence Kelvin highway that you're driving on) on some maps. There are no signs for it, so you'll need to have a map app open. I usually park somewhere around this area when I ride around in those canyons and roads. Tocote/old Florence Kelvin runs all the way over to Freeman road, which is a nice graded road that comes out almost directly across from the San Pedro road River crossing. So you can see how you can use all these roads to make loops and explore the areas within them. As I said, the only places you can't go are clearly marked with Gates and posted signs, so there's not much to worry about as far as going where you shouldn't be. Coincidentally, that climb up from lipsy wash to the top of the mountain is the area where the Apache kid was last seen alive. You'll notice a private road that makes homage to this.

And then there is the west side of Florence Kelvin, Walnut canyon, the boulders, old Cochran Ghost Town site, the Coke ovens which are private property, and so on and so forth.... That's a post for another day...

Last edited:
JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you all, good info. I will get the Az. sticker for out of state buggy, get a permit, and try some of those trails. It is truly good to hear the public land is still open. I see a big increase in trash, and trail destruction around southern Utah, where the population is growing fast, new houses every where.
When I get down there I will send a report. Thanks again folks.

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got all my stuff to run Az. Trust Lands. Heading out tomorrow to meet up with my son to explore old mine ruins and rock hound the dumps. The Chilito Mine area. Thanks for information guys, I'll send some Photos when I get back.

IMG 3544241

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got all my stuff to run Az. Trust Lands. Heading out tomorrow to meet up with my son to explore old mine ruins and rock hound the dumps. The Chilito Mine area. Thanks for information guys, I'll send some Photos when I get back.

View attachment 329459
Awesome that somebody gets to ride AZ trails this weekend. Well...in a SxS anyway. My machine is down for some back-ordered parts. Look forward to the pics and ride reports.

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did the Chilito Mining district last weekend. Thanks for the info I got here was prepared for this trip. Just in the gate up on a rise was the perfect camp site.
the trail was rocky and slow, and climbed so high it got cooler. Stopped at the old miners cabin with the tree growing through the roof. The district was rock hound overload. Way too much to explore in a day. Will haft to come back.
was good to see the lack of vandalism, spray paint, and stuff shot through with holes. Almost all the mine shafts and drifts have been filled in to keep folks out. Sanitized. Did see rattle snake, and a very rare Gila Monster.
back at camp around sundown for sloppy joes, and me an kid shot the breeze watching the full moon come up. Great camp.

99E74B61 80B0 4063 B1F3 CA69F2891A10 DBCA0175 5277 496C 9818 22E4BA4E37DA E8A9E250 38B7 4E06 9215 07D7ACE3E0BD 63AA8611 CC10 4331 9D97 5E9E00D96569 AF03BA69 54A1 4EF3 9C00 1C660526EEF4 32C25114 1B93 492F 8899 53218E3D1A58

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to hear that you enjoyed the area. I visited there two weekends in a row, changing the direction of travel for different views. Spent over an hour in one of the old mines that was well cribbed.
0E819449 A7AE 4595 A6D8 B7F17ED7C6C0
90E4B654 F8F6 4AA8 B635 ED5D2B6BC704
9628D2B6 42B8 4624 A5C5 C00C5E13E992

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice photos PJon. Just to much to see in one after noon. Only found one shaft that was not sealed off, but it did have big rebar wielded to keep folks out. I dropped a rock down, it went a ways then hit something and bounced off the walls rest of the way down. It was scary deep.
This was at the first tailings after the miners cabin turning left at the Y.
We will go back and spend the weekend. Also want to visit the ruins west of Chilito district. May haft to wait till the fall when it cools down again.

Reactions: Kal
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!