Reactions: 100Acre
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
What's everyone use for a back windshield?? Does it help with dust?? Thanks

I found what worked best for me was a 1/2 windshield, Bimini top and no back window... cut my dust way down, when I had a solid front window on as I do in the winter, it sucks the dust in and a back window made it worse
I roll like this in the summer

4494464D 92AD 48AF 9442 18EDA7CC658E

Reactions: Backwoods
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
I found what worked best for me was a 1/2 windshield, Bimini top and no back window... cut my dust way down, when I had a solid front window on as I do in the winter, it sucks the dust in and a back window made it worse
I roll like this in the summer

View attachment 172962

Correction... when the wife comes I ride the pioneer that way, otherwise I’ll ride this!

2AAD0BCD F3EB 434C 9066 C735E5D4C776

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
What's everyone use for a back windshield?? Does it help with dust?? Thanks

I went with this one. In the not scratch resistant model as I didn't think I would need that on the rear panel. Front windshield it's a must.

HONDA PIONEER 500 BACK WINDSHIELD

I installed it as part of my plan to fully enclose the cab and heater install for winter. Far as dust goes it does help as long as you don't have a front windshield, or have a half windshield, or have a fold down like mine and have it folded down. When the full front windshield is up it seems to impede the air flow through the cab and dust likes to boil up from off the tires cloud up in there. Not a problem for me as when it's dusty I usually have it folded down and it keeps it pretty clean.

A word to the wise. If you install a full back panel you will need to check and probably clean your air filter every one or two rides if it's dusty out. The air flow is blocked above the air intake and the engine sucks super dusty air right off the tire. I made that mistake when I first installed it and drove about 250 miles in dusty conditions before I checked the air cleaner. It was the most dirty, looked like a layer of mud on it, air filter I have ever seen.

So instead of cleaning it constantly I snorkeled it for better air intake location and that fixed the problem completely. I built one very similar to this post by @Texas_Newfie

P500 - A Simple Snorkel

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
I went with this one. In the not scratch resistant model as I didn't think I would need that on the rear panel. Front windshield it's a must.

HONDA PIONEER 500 BACK WINDSHIELD

I installed it as part of my plan to fully enclose the cab and heater install for winter. Far as dust goes it does help as long as you don't have a front windshield, or have a half windshield, or have a fold down like mine and have it folded down. When the full front windshield is up it seems to impede the air flow through the cab and dust likes to boil up from off the tires cloud up in there. Not a problem for me as when it's dusty I usually have it folded down and it keeps it pretty clean.

A word to the wise. If you install a full back panel you will need to check and probably clean your air filter every one or two rides if it's dusty out. The air flow is blocked above the air intake and the engine sucks super dusty air right off the tire. I made that mistake when I first installed it and drove about 250 miles in dusty conditions before I checked the air cleaner. It was the most dirty, looked like a layer of mud on it, air filter I have ever seen.

So instead of cleaning it constantly I snorkeled it for better air intake location and that fixed the problem completely. I built one very similar to this post by @Texas_Newfie

P500 - A Simple Snorkel

I think I’ll make that snorkel setup before summer, thanks for posting

Reactions: MarlinWalker
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the rear fabric panel with the zippered window. Honda signature me thinks. It works great to keep out the dust but gets dirty easily and not the easiest to clean. I unzip it and roll the window part up when traveling at highway speeds. Need to keep the zipper lubricated though. Too much dust makes it difficult to open and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: snakeriver
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Have a tusk rear window, only run it in winter with full enclosure so dust not an issue. Always wet around here in winter. In summer I fold my windshield down to be 1/2 open and no back window and dust is not a problem. Full windshield and a dusty dirt road and its hard to see where your going.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B002TI9IDQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I put one of these, or one a lot like it, on my 500 right after I got it in 2014. It's still on it and has no tears or holes in it. I also have another pair of them I got a couple of years ago that I use ,with lots of bungie cords, as doors in cold weather. I've trailer my 500 at least once a year and some years twice to Colorado with the back in place. I've also trailered it to Colorado the last 2 years with the panels strapped on for doors. All holding up good so far.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Tusk , soft back window . Fold down windshield . Only close the windshield for inclement weather . My P5 is nearly dust free . If your P5 is dusty , catch a ride in a RZR , then you will think your P5 is dust free with any set up . lol

Reactions: trigger
advertisement
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Due to my speaker location I purchased a heavy clear vinyl from Hobby Lobby and kinda cut to fit around speakers.
Slits cut into side of vinyl allow endless hook and loop strap to fasten to roll cage.
Haven't been in any extremely dusty areas since I added back panel so I can't comment on effectiveness.
RearWindow1 RearWindow3 RearWindow4

Reactions: 1border4manu

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!