Backing up - front winch - winching technique

C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
Lots of snow here lately, trails are soft and I've been stuck quite a few times. Enough to realize my manual 4,000 winch is not cutting it. So I've put an order for a proper winch and front mounting plate.

My question now is, with the winch in the front, how can you back up, say you can't go forward?

D

daberry

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 4, 2013
Kansas
I'm going to mount my winch on a receiver tube and put a receiver hitch on the front so I can move it front to rear as needed.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
chuck said:
My question now is, with the winch in the front, how can you back up, say you can't go forward?
Lol, I here you.
Short answer, keep your manual winch.

Long answer, down and under but you really don't want to do all this in mud/snow.

I have done (tried to do) it to winch a Atv up a ditch. You have to run the cable down and under the sxs to the back. You will end up messing up your front bash plate from cable burn. It's hard work to get it under. Plus it did not do a very good job but did give me enough room to push it sideways so I could winch it around and out.
With a 1300lb sxs. I'm not so sure it will work.

daberry is right, Best option is a receiver hitch mount so you can move it around.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
In this situation, you hope your buddy has a winch on his UTV. I just went thru this same scenario on a solo trip into a wild area. Was not good. Had to hike 5 miles x 2 ways with a come-along to pull from behind. Wish I had packed that come-along - along. Have had some discussions on having a received hitch mounted winch.

I think some manufacturer (HONDA??) should design an OEM winch that could pull from either direction. Would sell well IMO.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!