BOX1

P700 Bad Engine due to dust intake. Very low mileage

C

clieberg78

Jul 27, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello All. I'm very new to this fourm, but has anyone had this issue? I have 239 Miles on my 2021 Pioneer 700-4 and my engine needs to be rebuilt.. I brought in for my first service. Dealer found the issue: "Adjusted valves, found intake valves to be super loose. Adjusted to Spec. Noticed unit was hard start. So installed new spark plugs. Unit did not start any easier. Performed leak down test after conversing with customer. Found unit to have a 20% leak through the intake. Believe that because of the air filter condition the valves probably wore thin due to dirt ingestion. Recommend new Intake valves and possible having the cylinder head Re-cut"

Unit was only trail ridden. NO water. Just typical trail conditions.

I have opened a case with Honda and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks in advance

C

clieberg78

Jul 27, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pics?
and Welcome to the forum
Unfortunately no. I brought into the dealership for it's first service. I have no pictures of any of the damage. I wish I would have looked at the air filter before bringing it in, but with only 239 miles on it I figured they would just take care of any dust and\or cleaning\replacement that needed to be done.

Thanks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would ask to see the filter. I'm not saying it's not under all circumstances, but 239 miles here in the dusty desert probably isn't enough to render the filter useless.

I'd suspect improperly adjusted (tight) valves, personally.

C

clieberg78

Jul 27, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would ask to see the filter. I'm not saying it's not under all circumstances, but 239 miles here in the dusty desert probably isn't enough to render the filter useless.

I'd suspect improperly adjusted (tight) valves, personally.
I asked if they replaced the filter and they just said they cleaned it and put it back on.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Another twist on possibilities
With only 239 miles would have to be ( mega dust and dirt ) coditions to put wear on the valve train.
<>Leak in the air intake system? <> allowing the filter to premature load up with dust?
If mega dust/ dirt was the culprit ( there should be more than Just intake valve problems )?

Dealer normally saves all parts for show and tell to Honda representative in Claim cases.( Should have the filter )??

"Need to ask you" <> did it have the hard starting issue BEFORE it went in for seavice??
What is the experence of the person doing valve adjustment? ( just a question )
Adjust the intake valve a little Tight " could " cause leak down and hard starting ( to tight will not start at all )

Keep us posted of progress that is how we all Learn.
Best of GOOD LUCK with the out come.

I type slow see DG Rider hascovered some of this.

C

clieberg78

Jul 27, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Another twist on possibilities
With only 239 miles would have to be ( mega dust and dirt ) coditions to put wear on the valve train.
<>Leak in the air intake system? <> allowing the filter to premature load up with dust?
If mega dust/ dirt was the culprit ( there should be more than Just intake valve problems )?

Dealer normally saves all parts for show and tell to Honda representative in Claim cases.( Should have the filter )??

"Need to ask you" <> did it have the hard starting issue BEFORE it went in for seavice??
What is the experence of the person doing valve adjustment? ( just a question )
Adjust the intake valve a little Tight " could " cause leak down and hard starting ( to tight will not start at all )

Keep us posted of progress that is how we all Learn.
Best of GOOD LUCK with the out come.

I type slow see DG Rider hascovered some of this.
No I didn't have hard starting before I brought it in. I'm not sure about the experience of the tech.

Thanks..

Reactions: DG Rider and ChadD
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!