P1000 Badland Apex 5500 install question

T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
I'm currently installing this winch on my '22 100K deluxe. It came with a big ugly battery disconnect, is anyone using this or just wiring straight to the battery? If so where are you mounting the disconnect? I watched a few videos and and searched around but didn't see this disconnect used on any installs. Some showed a circuit breaker in-line, but the winch didn't come with anything like that. I'm also curious about a convenient key on wire under the hood for the trigger. I know the club store sells a kit using the accessory outlet, but I'd love to use a wire under the hood that's easy to locate if one exists. Don't have to wait for the big brown truck that way,

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wire to a second battery with an isolator between the two, and I also suggest a seperate winch power, on-off switch, triggered or not, aside from in and out...Brown truck will be hard to avoid owning one of these.
Search Winch install...

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adding to what @Dirtstiffs-1000 said. Many, maybe most, winch installs go to a second battery as that dirty stiff said. This is 'cause the winch can draw well over 200 amps and you might want your primary battery to start and run the rig for the trip home. Being a very high current device, like the starter motor, winches are most often wired direct, no circuit breaker or fuse - (like that starter motor), so prudent wire routing and anti-chafe protection is advisable. I like to use welding cable 'cause it's flexible and has thick insulation.

The control circuit, be it an "In-Out" dash switch or a wireless remote receiver / controller, should have a switch on the dash to disable the winch receiver/controller or enable it. You sure don't want RFI (radio frequency interference) or inquisitive young hands flipping turning on the winch and winding it back in too far.

My '21 SE came with a wired remote that plugs into a socket inside the glove box. It has just enough wire so you can stand in front of the vehicle and feed the rope onto the winch. Dumb. I never use it, opting for a $20 wireless receiver and remote which works well past the length of the winch line.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The control circuit, be it an "In-Out" dash switch or a wireless remote receiver / controller, should have a switch on the dash to disable the winch receiver/controller or enable it. You sure don't want RFI (radio frequency interference) or inquisitive young hands flipping turning on the winch and winding it back in too far.
I used one of the buttons on my Auxbeam 8-gang switch to enable/disable the wireless receiver for my Viper V2 wide spool winch on the Talon and carry spare batteries for the remote.

It didn't come with a wired remote, and I'm not even sure if I'll install the rocker switch. I'm trying for a completely switchless interior/dash. Might add a hidden port somewhere for a wired remote. Meh.

Reactions: Smitty335
T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
Thanks for all of the info. After a little more searching I found out the '22 and newer models have a key on power wire wrapped up right by the battery. I ordered a pig tail from the Club Store that fits the wire plug. I think I'll use the battery disconnect switch as my safety switch for the winch. It will be inconvenient to get under the hood to switch it, but I'm not planning on using the winch much. Won't be operating a plow with it or anything. Hopefully it never get's used much at all. Only if I screw up and get myself into a bad spot. I'll run with one battery for now for the same reason. I know of the potential issues with low voltage and the clutches so I'll be careful if the winch has to be used. I'm not planning on any radios or light bars that could add to battery drain. If I do start adding more stuff later I'll definitely add another battery.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
^ Sounds like a plan! Congrats!

Reactions: Smitty335
T

treeguy27

Sep 27, 2020
Mo
. I'm trying for a completely switchless interior/dash. Might add a hidden port somewhere for a wired remote. Meh.
I put the port for the wired remote inside the glove box. Couldn't bring myself to cut any holes in the dash. Additionally if I upgrade to the wireless remote some day, the receiver for it can hide in the glove box as well.

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I put the port for the wired remote inside the glove box. Couldn't bring myself to cut any holes in the dash. Additionally if I upgrade to the wireless remote some day, the receiver for it can hide in the glove box as well.
That was/is likely my plan. Thx.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!