P500 Batteries keep dying

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
If you have a wireless winch controller it will drain it rather quickly. I have an isolator switch on mine to prevent this.
I echo this post. The remote transmitter draws enough to flatten a battery in 3-4 weeks or sooner if very cold out. A simple toggle switch in the remote transmitter positive wire completely solved it.

Reactions: rtn001
J

John688

Oct 20, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-2
You said you have added a winch. If has a wireless remote and is not wired correctly it will drain the battery in about a weeks time. remote needs to be wired to power source only when motor running.

Reactions: Rick53 and rtn001
R

RedLevel

Nov 20, 2020
iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I echo this post. The remote transmitter draws enough to flatten a battery in 3-4 weeks or sooner if very cold out. A simple toggle switch in the remote transmitter positive wire completely solved it.
If you get the power from a keyed power supply, IE the power outlet, You wont have a draw issue.

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
You said you have added a winch. If has a wireless remote and is not wired correctly it will drain the battery in about a weeks time. remote needs to be wired to power source only when motor running.
Well sort of...if the motor dies I might still need to use the winch. I prefer wiring it live to the battery with a switch to cut the power to the remote transmitter.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Well sort of...if the motor dies I might still need to use the winch. I prefer wiring it live to the battery with a switch to cut the power to the remote transmitter.
If you wire the winch control switch to the main switch, power off lead, the winch will work with the switch in the on position and engine not running. I wired mine to the winch mfg. instructions. I may have got in a water hole a little too deep once upon a time and had to winch out without the engine running. Not saying I did, it just may be I imagined it in my my old age. Hehehe😂😂😂😂😂. Electrical problems can and will drive one to drink if one is inclined to do so. Just saying. Good luck.

Cyborg

Cyborg

Jun 12, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Got my machine back from dealer a couple days ago after taking it in for this battery issue and it's annual service.

Problem was lose cables. When I most recently replaced battery back in October, I went to Lowe's and got some longer bolts to use to connect the cables to battery posts. Why? As anyone who has replaced the battery in the P5 knows, it is a pain in the ass to get the bolt through the cable eyelets and then get it to thread up into the battery terminal posts. So, I thought longer bolts would help make the process easier, which they did. I was able to find longer bolts which matched the threads and get em cinched em up tight, but they apparently did not stay tight, and according to the dealer's tech, that loose connection allowed the battery to drain. He recommended always using the bolts that come with the battery.

Fortunately, battery was still under warranty. Once they installed new battery, they checked electrical system for any parasitic draws and found none. Guess I gotta chalk this one up to bad luck. I now have a Honda OEM battery in the machine instead of a Huasa, because Huasa's were on backorder. Honestly, I'm glad as I had better luck with the original Honda OEM than I have with any of the Huasa's that have been in the machine. So, hopefully this problem is behind me.

I will add - service tech told me that battery quality, just like everything else, has been going down for several years, and it is therefore imperative to keep the batteries on a tender or some kind of trickle charger when the machines aren't being ridden.

I appreciate all the comments with suggestions trying to help. Thanks.

Reactions: Mudwing and rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I now have a Honda OEM battery in the machine instead of a Huasa, because Huasa's were on backorder. Honestly, I'm glad as I had better luck with the original Honda OEM than I have with any of the Huasa's that have been in the machine. So, hopefully this problem is behind me.
I think you mean Yuasa, that is an oem and they are on backorder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!