P500 Battery Issue

A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
So I get home from riding today and I notice a high pitch whine or whistling sound coming from my battery and it was extremely hot. I removed the battery just to be sure that's where the sound was coming from. It's a 2016 and the battery is the original.
Is it a bad battery or could I be having other issues?

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not sure about the p500 charging system. There should be some sort of voltage regulator that keeps the charging at a safe level. If it malfunctions it can actually overcharge your battery. Is it possible the whistling is the pressure leaking from the battery? Would explain why it’s so hot. Again I’ve never looked at my charging system on my p500 but it’d be my first thought.

Reactions: happyfred
S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I’m not sure about the p500 charging system. There should be some sort of voltage regulator that keeps the charging at a safe level. If it malfunctions it can actually overcharge your battery. Is it possible the whistling is the pressure leaking from the battery? Would explain why it’s so hot. Again I’ve never looked at my charging system on my p500 but it’d be my first thought.
I would have to agree

Reactions: AM500
A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply.
I'm thinking that it is the pressure leaking. From what I just read, they have what is called a voltage rectifier. Doing more research now.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yep, bad voltage regular was putting out 18 v and bulged out the battery. If replacing voltage regulator, go OEM from dealer. Cheaper one off internet did not work and the return process was a hassle.

A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, bad voltage regular was putting out 18 v and bulged out the battery. If replacing voltage regulator, go OEM from dealer. Cheaper one off internet did not work and the return process was a hassle.
I will give my dealer a call tomorrow. I assume I will need to replace my battery as well?

Reactions: DG Rider
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I will give my dealer a call tomorrow. I assume I will need to replace my battery as well?
I replaced both. It was easier to access the voltage regulator by removing the rear passenger tire and unbolting the battery box. Be careful with the box bolts cause the keeper nuts can be pushed out of place.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM500 and Wallace
A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
I should have mentioned that a couple of nights ago the lights where dimming and flickering also.

Reactions: Mudder
A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
Ok. Had the exact same thing happen again today.
Anyone have any ideas?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Anyone have any ideas?
What is the voltage output?. After the bad VR and battery, something like this on the dash gives me piece of mind.

4EE6C743 6E0C 4847 A77E C50B9299648F

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone have any ideas?
Did you already change both the rectifier and battery? Next step - check the output voltage like Mudder suggested - a VM across the battery when running if you don't have one permanently mounted. They're pretty cheap and it's worth knowing your battery condition.

I added this before my first ride (it helped that it was mid winter so I couldn't ride anyway).
I v2gT84s L

Reactions: AM500
A

AM500

Jul 23, 2016
Bayou
Ownership

1. 500
I'll check the voltage when I get home from work tomorrow.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!