P1000 Battery Question

Mkdailey1

Mkdailey1

Oct 16, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am wondering if there is a better battery to replace the factory one the One that came in it doesn’t seem to have much cranking power not sure what it will do once it gets cold.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I swapped to two lithium batteries. Haven't had any issues including operating winch. Beware the battery will be run down by using the seperater that has blue light. Had to install 2 cut-outs on battery cables. They swear it doesn't do it, but I can show you it does.

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Di
I swapped to two lithium batteries. Haven't had any issues including operating winch. Beware the battery will be run down by using the seperater that has blue light. Had to install 2 cut-outs on battery cables. They swear it doesn't do it, but I can show you it does.
Did you buy the version of True battery isolator that's designed for lithium batteries?

Mkdailey1

Mkdailey1

Oct 16, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hate asking dumb questions but is there a lithium battery that will fit where the factory battery is located for a simple exchange

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine sometimes sounds like it's a little labored when cranking, and I have a pretty new NAPA gold battery in it. I think that's just the nature of the Pioneer.

How old is your battery?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wish they had engineered a decent battery in it instead of people having to add a second battery or worrying if the machine is going to start.
The second battery is mainly for accessories to keep the main battery isolated for cranking, main lights and the standard electrical components of the machine.
mine lasted 4-1/2 years with cold weather use and heres why.

Accessories on a second battery #1
#2 I put a float charger under the hood with a waterproof plug on the side wall. Whenever its not in use, even parked for the day at the cabin after riding, i plug that in. even at 5-6 degrees at deer camp in the morning, no issues.Unfortunately the Batterys and compartment for them are small. You just need to give it some TLC. Its still time to save yours ;)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wish they had engineered a decent battery in it instead of people having to add a second battery or worrying if the machine is going to start.
Heres a pic of my set up.
06BF75D0 21A6 4A11 A37D 07250C709F50
2D0F5696 8D5C 42C4 B1EC 338FD0C30DA6

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Two isolated batteries is far better than one "decent" battery. Many boats, diesel trucks and similar vehicles have two isolated batteries -- one for crank/start and the other for accessories. That way, if you run one battery dead, at least you can still start and get home.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Heres a pic of my set up.
My setup on my ATV is a pigtail that comes out and connects to the trickle charger and the trickle charger has the transformer on the wall plug end. I like your setup better as you can use a standard extension cord instead of having to have or carry the trickle charger. I think I'm going to install something like your setup on the new P1K5. :)

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another approach, is to install an outside 12 volt socket that can be used for both charging the aux (and main battery through the True), as well as for operating outside accessories such as an air compressor etc. The socket and plug I use are by "Powerlet" for their small size, amp capacity and reliability. Powerlet is used on BMW motorcycles, John Deere tractors, and Stemme motorgliders, among others.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Another approach, is to install an outside 12 volt socket that can be used for both charging the aux (and main battery through the True), as well as for operating outside accessories such as an air compressor etc. The socket and plug I use are by "Powerlet" for their small size, amp capacity and reliability. Powerlet is used on BMW motorcycles, John Deere tractors, and Stemme motorgliders, among others.
That's exactly how my setup does it if you have a dual battery. You don't have a dual battery it'll work just like it is as well

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Ran the Powerlet stuff on my various Honda VFR's over the years ...

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An LiFePO4 battery can be used for the main battery. However it can't be just any LiFePO4, as it needs to be one made for the high current of starting in order to function properly. This means the BMS (battery management system that keeps cells balanced, prevents over current conditions etc.) must be designed to allow that high current, at least for a limited time.

The LiFePO4 battery, I have in my Honda S2000, has a special charger that balances the cells and also has a storage mode, (which partially discharges the battery, as these batteries "want" to be stored at roughly 40% to 60% charge for longest life.

Reactions: Lady01 and 05Willys
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to clarify, the main reason we use an auxillary battery is to keep voltage levels up for optimum performance of the dual clutch transmission.

Keeping the main battery isolated for starting is a secondary benefit.