Before you replace your scratched windshield

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Maybe others have done this, but I know people talk about taking scratches out of plastic with a heatgun,so I thought I would try it on my windshield made out of a sheet of polycarbonate before I replaced it with a new one, couldn't believe the difference it made.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe others have done this, but I know people talk about taking scratches out of plastic with a heatgun,so I thought I would try it on my windshield made out of a sheet of polycarbonate before I replaced it with a new one, couldn't believe the difference it made.
I've heard of the various buffing methods. So what exactly do you do...just heat it up?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've heard of the various buffing methods. So what exactly do you do...just heat it up?
Yes, just keep it moving in a small circle, when you see the scratches come out then slowly keep moving across the windshield,I should point out this is not a hardcoat windshield, start down in a corner for a test area.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, just keep it moving in a small circle, when you see the scratches come out then slowly keep moving across the windshield,I should point out this is not a hardcoat windshield, start down in a corner for a test area.
Awesome!
I have a half-shield for a 700 that got some scratches during a move that I'll give it a try on.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: iowaguy
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Great to know! Iv replaced 3 already due to scratches and I cannot use a glass with my custom cage, also cannot find a hard coat that I feel will modify easy enough to work so I'm stuck with poly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!