P1000 Bending UHMW

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I have the Factory UTV skid plates and they extend into wheel well further than any OEM stuff.
So my 28" tires are rubbing.
I think I need to do a bit of cutting and bending.
Anyone have tips on how to bend this stuff? Will it hold it shape after bending or should I plan on fasteners?

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would just trim it with a jig saw. If you bend it, your just going to end up rubbing on it when you are turned, and the suspension is compressed.

Reactions: ghost
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Subscribed. I have the 1/2" coming and want to know as well.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ok - thanks guys.
I thought I read on here where some guys were bending it - maybe it was just cutting.

I was going to finish with the same upward lip that it came with. There is room for an upward bend and fit under the plastic without reducing wheel clearance. I'll probably just cut it unless someone has a good bending idea.

This is how it looks now. Almost 2 inches too long at this spot. I think the stock tires would rub too.
IMG 2874 IMG 2881

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
OK... You just wanting to bend it more. Heck. I'd try that and put a screw in it if you can.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Subscribed. I have the 1/2" coming and want to know as well.
The L-bracket that came with had 2 holes in the wrong spot.
I added a 1/4 inch spacer where the L-bracket attaches to the frame to fix that.
Also I was missing the j-clip that one of bolts connects to, so I welded a nut onto the L-Bracket instead.

I'm a bit disappointed in a few of these details - for the amount of money I spent on a piece of plastic and a few bits of hardware, I expect everything to fit well. If the skid plate was 2 inches too short instead of too long then I'd be upset.

Was hoping for more protection for the CV joints too.
Overall happy I got some solid skids on but I have a few gripes.

IMG 2876

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I turned the wheels all the way to one side and that cv joint exposure comes down to almost nothing so not sure what they could do to improve that.

That just leaves the L-bracket misalignment and extra length at the front wheels to complain about - other than those 2 fixable problems I would have given these skids plates 5/5 stars.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Just thinking on UHMV what are its thermal properties. Not that adding a big fan and heat shield under the seat doesn't cure the hot seat issue but if you were to run a full window, would an aluminum skid plate not act as a giant heatsink and pull out more heat from under the seat vs the UHMV? I don't know Im just curious.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok - thanks guys.
I thought I read on here where some guys were bending it - maybe it was just cutting.

I was going to finish with the same upward lip that it came with. There is room for an upward bend and fit under the plastic without reducing wheel clearance. I'll probably just cut it unless someone has a good bending idea.

This is how it looks now. Almost 2 inches too long at this spot. I think the stock tires would rub too.
View attachment 16599 View attachment 16600

I'm a little late to this thread but I have bent UHMW using a router to thin it a little and then using a heat gun. Once it's bent into place, hold it there and quench it in cold water and it should stay.

I did a front bash plate. It does help that I screwed it down though.

I bought this from McMaster Carr and paid like $20
31551bad63606e7cb57a7ddd8aba5ab2

Here's is the same sheet after cutting groves, heating, bending, and quenching.
Ea75b93a3391cd2037b5e71a75853dff

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: ghost
advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You could bend that skid but it would take more heat for a longer period of time. Maybe heat it for 10-15 minutes under a heat lamp and also use a heat gun. Then you would need a metal break or make your own break out of wood to hold bend it and hold it.

Here is my finished bash plate installed.
9d18ced0eef6c280b1f7f555308619eb

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I would just trim it with a jig saw. If you bend it, your just going to end up rubbing on it when you are turned, and the suspension is compressed.
That's what I did with my 1/2" trail armor skids. I used a rotozip and trimmed them back 1.5" to where it was even with the wheel well then smoothed and radiused with a flat bastard file. Took less than 20 min total time, not including the 30 minutes I searched for the file in my back pocket. LOL

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok - thanks guys.

View attachment 16599 View attachment 16600

Remember even if you bend it should it ever catch while backing up it could rip the bolts out treaded into the frame, better safe and flush than sorry if it could catch on anything.

Reactions: ghost and joeymt33
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Seen a you tube video about bending with it heated in your oven?? Your panel may be too big, but just a thought.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Thanks for the tips.
This is how it looks after a jigsaw and file. An oscillating multi-tool with plunge wood blade helps to clean up and rough spots before filing.
IMG 2887
IMG 2890

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just saw this UHMW has certain thresholds you should not exceed when it comes to heat @250F is the big one, once it's been heated past this the engineered properties of the plastic breakdown and it becomes PERMANENTLY damaged. It's brittle and starts to crumble.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Old thread...but...I have bent UHMW with a piece of 1" black pipe heated with propane torch and clamped down on the area I wanted to bend and just lift the side to be bent until it was at the angle I wanted and quench with cold water to set the plastic. No clue of the temp but it was probably just short of melting but at a point where it was soft.

I got just a little spring back but not much when I unclamped it. I was using 1/4" to face airplane skis. It held up very well on soft snow, crusted snow and frozen lakes with 4K pound airplanes hitting the ice at 55-60 MPH. I don't know of any that broke but then it had lots of bolts and rivets in them.

Should work fine for a SXS.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!