Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone made their own uhmw skids?
I made a full skid for my Foreman. If I still worked at my old job I'd be making one for my 1000. I paid wholesale for any metal or other materials I
needed. Looks like it'd be even easier than the one I made for the foreman

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Whoever goes first - I bet you could sell templates on this forum.
Not a get rich scheme but recover some cost and it would sure help those who follow.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope someone sells a template. Because to be honest, This seems ridiculous!!!! And no clean out holes? Is that actually smart or stupid?

I'm probably personally biased from my previous experience with Rick SSS off-road, but their design repeats previous plates from p500 and p700, no drain holes. May be OK for rock sliding , but still sand , rocks should come out somehow. Not thoughtful and simple. I personally lean towards other competitor Trail Armor, way more attractive and full product to me. With SSS off-road plate you have to "microvawe" it before its ready for consumption. Drill all holes .

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Full Package A Arms UHMW skid plate underbody SSS Off Road

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how much does it cost for uhmw for 1/2 for a sheet

I paid about 200$ for 3/8" 4*10' plus 90$ shipping from Spokane. Google or search forum for umhw , I posted a link of the company I bought from.

I think even 3/8" thickness should be more then enough for p1000. The way it handles abuse when I ride p500, I have no doubt it will hold well on p1000.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I hope someone sells a template. Because to be honest, This seems ridiculous!!!! And no clean out holes? Is that actually smart or stupid?

That depends on your style of riding, if you are into deep mudding the absence of holes keeps mud from squishing up in there, but what is there takes more effort to get out. I have the Trail Armor version it does have the 2.5" cleanout holes, but I am not a mudder I wanted it for protecting the frame from large rocks, conversely the holes does give a very small open spot to catch on sharp rock point, sticks etc. I am not concerned about that just trying to answer your question objectively. The holes / no holes each has a small advantage depending upon how you will use it.

I am happy with mine, they seem indestructible and are the third set of UHMW skids on my third SXS of which the material in these "seems" harder or more rigid and my previous two sets one each from SSS Offroad and the other from Factory UTV.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how much does it cost for uhmw for 1/2 for a sheet

Found it , ask them for a quote

Redwood Plastics Corp.
Spokane, WA 99206 Locations Map icon
Contact Company: 800-222-7772

advertisement
sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
Yes I read through I saw mention of u bolts and self taping but never any specs like what size self taping screws u used

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I read through I saw mention of u bolts and self taping but never any specs like what size self taping screws u used

Sorry, I should be more detailed in my description, but to clarify, no self tapping bolts, I decided to make my life simple and just used U bolts to hold plate along both edges , 3 U bolts from each side, see on the pic. All other mounting points were original.

In front I used two sides of U bolt, middle and rear part of the plate I cut off external end of U bolt and looked like a hook and put a screw on internal side.

IMG 1794 IMG 1800

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered the SSS off-road set today for 675.00 shipped

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That just looks too easy. Soon as I get through this weekend of work I'm gonna hoist mine up some and check some measurements. Like I said earlier, my Foreman was a breeze using cardboard for a template and the 1000 looks like cake compared to it.

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
Sorry, I should be more detailed in my description, but to clarify, no self tapping bolts, I decided to make my life simple and just used U bolts to hold plate along both edges , 3 U bolts from each side, see on the pic. All other mounting points were original.

In front I used two sides of U bolt, middle and rear part of the plate I cut off external end of U bolt and looked like a hook and put a screw on internal side.

View attachment 9437 View attachment 9438
did you counter sink the factory mounts

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered the SSS off-road set today for 675.00 shipped

Dont want to disappoint you but you over paid 200+ $. Its good to look at Moan and Groan section once in a while to see sellers reviews. I had very unpleasant experience with the owner of $$$ offroad who indirectly cancelled my order to keep manufacture advertised price the same across his dealers. Check out P500 - SSS OFFROAD SKID PLATES PRICE MONOPOLY. BEWARE!!!
My thread was quickly shut down

IMG 20151002 194605 533

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!