P1000 Best dual bat kit?

W

WVMatthews1982

Apr 10, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey members, our fam purchased a 21 1k5 deluxe recently and have been itching to add electrical accessories. From what I understand the safest option to start is with a dual battery installation. I've tried to search threads to find the most recommended kit but end up on mostly rabbit trail... can anyone give me some sound advise on the best or best bang for your buck dual battery kit? Thanks!

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
If you installed a lithium battery then you need the lithium version.
Otherwise. The non lithium.

The one with the volt member is most common.

FYI: I will be processing a few orders on Tuesday before I leave.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your going with a dual meter then I would pick up the key on harness to go with it. You need some sort of controlled power or everything you install will be hot all the time.

W

WVMatthews1982

Apr 10, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your going with a dual meter then I would pick up the key on harness to go with it. You need some sort of controlled power or everything you install will be hot all the time.
Is the key on harness a purchase option or sold separately?

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is the key on harness a purchase option or sold separately?
Sold separately. The dual meter is an option with the kit. You can just tap into something that is key on but the harness the club store sells is plug and play and keeps everything nice and clean.

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
grabbe123

grabbe123

Sep 3, 2020
Paris, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TrueAm dual battery kit and went with a mighty max battery for my second battery... fit nice and tight in the second compartment!

Screenshot 20200928 164259 Chrome

W

WVMatthews1982

Apr 10, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I ordered the dual kit from the store and the key on harness as recommended. I did some more digging and saw where some are using a fuse box, and ground bar. Also saw where one guy was using a spike isolator/relay as well.... is the isolator/relay necessary? I though the kit already came with an isolator?

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I ordered the dual kit from the store and the key on harness as recommended. I did some more digging and saw where some are using a fuse box, and ground bar. Also saw where one guy was using a spike isolator/relay as well.... is the isolator/relay necessary? I though the kit already came with an isolator?
There are a few different ways to do it. The true kit gives you an isolated second battery. The key on harness gives you controlled power. You can use the key on power to control more than one relay so when you add accessories they only work with key on. What your probably looking at is a second fuse box system. It is for the most part a second system that involves using the key on power to control a much bigger relay sometimes called a stinger that powers a second fuse box. Then everything you hook to the fuse box is controlled eliminating in line fuses and the need to hook dif relays to the key on power. It makes hooking accessories up a lot easier. Some fuse boxes have ground bars built in some don’t. Some bars are just there because terminals get crowded. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is. It’s really just a 6awg from 2nd battery to stinger another from stinger to fuse box. A 6awg from fuse box to ground on 2nd battery. Ground the stinger and hook the key on harness to the other side of stinger. At least that’s the system I have and for the most part it is a copy of some of the others I’ve seen. Some use the big relay stinger like an isolator but that would be something I’m not familiar with. Start with the dual battery. Then do fuse box and stinger later if you want. You’ll only have to move the key on wire.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are lots of threads and posts here on this. Even videos and wiring diagrams. That's how I learned and figured out what I wanted to do. Spend some time to search and read. Lots of good info and help here. Good luck!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!