P1000m5 Best soft upper doors? Go OEM or aftermarket??

S

Steeler-Jim

Dec 19, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've just bought a new-to-me 2018 1000-5 Deluxe. It only has 300 miles on it so hardly broke in. It was stock when I bought it. I've bought a nice hard windshield and the Honda bimini top so far. Actually wished I woulda got the hard roof as the soft one blows up when ya get about 30mph or so. Anyway, My son is the sales mgr at the dealership so I can get his price for parts(about 25% off retail). I can get the Honda soft upper doors for $430. I have seen where many say they fit like crap. I also see the ones made by Seizmik. They look a lot like the OEM doors to me. What do you all recommend? I'd really like to see some pics and hear what you think of whatever you have on yours. Thanks for any and all info in advance.
Upload 2019 12 19 0 39 48

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I don't have any pics right now but I have the Seizmik upper doors and like them a lot! I had the Honda uppers first and I was pretty disappointed over all with them! The Seizmik where better in every way. the added hinge on the A-pillar is huge in making it so much more ridge. I can drive at 60+ mph with no problems and the Honda doors you couldn't do that.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't have any pics right now but I have the Seizmik upper doors and like them a lot! I had the Honda uppers first and I was pretty disappointed over all with them! The Seizmik where better in every way. the added hinge on the A-pillar is huge in making it so much more ridge. I can drive at 60+ mph with no problems and the Honda doors you couldn't do that.
@Montecresto has good things to say about them also and if he's happy with them, should satisfy every one! HA!

S

Steeler-Jim

Dec 19, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the great info. You were the perfect one to respond since you've had both. Since you have the upper doors, I'm assuming you have a windshield, top and back panel? If so, what brand are they? I plan to get all those items as well. And don't go to any trouble, but if you can post some pics, I'd be indebted to ya...
Merry Christmas!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the second generation of the Honda doors (212A) and they seem to work very well. This version comes with a trim piece and molding to take up the gaps around the door and a bracket in the front to hold the door frame in place. My biggest complaint now is the gaps around the lower door and all the air through the shifters. Still working on that, but all the manufactures are going to have that problem.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
15767905326996711589573931697980 15767905666144845198717386469560 15767905986994190546963200766119 1576790620678299690121532137619

The only add on option I don't like is the windshield I have. It started out as an OEM Honda glass windshield. Upon breaking the glass I replaced it with a plexiglass. But ultimately I like having a two-piece flip-up windshield so I can control when I do want some air coming in the front. The rear mid panel with the sliding window is really nice. Personally I liked having the three seater top on my five seater leaving the bed more open. Hope all of that helps.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After looking at your pics @Steeler-Jim, I don't know if the honda doors would work well with you soft top. I have the honda hard top but it looks like you soft top comes down lower in the front and the middle roll bar. Just something to keep an eye on no matter which way you go.

S

Steeler-Jim

Dec 19, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After looking at your pics @Steeler-Jim, I don't know if the honda doors would work well with you soft top. I have the honda hard top but it looks like you soft top comes down lower in the front and the middle roll bar. Just something to keep an eye on no matter which way you go.
I made the $130 mistake buying the soft top. I have a Honda hard top on the way. So hopefully there won't be an issue...

S

Steeler-Jim

Dec 19, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 171463 View attachment 171464 View attachment 171465 View attachment 171466

The only add on option I don't like is the windshield I have. It started out as an OEM Honda glass windshield. Upon breaking the glass I replaced it with a plexiglass. But ultimately I like having a two-piece flip-up windshield so I can control when I do want some air coming in the front. The rear mid panel with the sliding window is really nice. Personally I liked having the three seater top on my five seater leaving the bed more open. Hope all of that helps.
Looks like quite a gap where the rear upper door meets the roll cage??? Or am I seeing it wrong...?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Looks like quite a gap where the rear upper door meets the roll cage??? Or am I seeing it wrong...?

There is a gap there but I believe that is from being a little out of adjustment. It just came from and off-road weekend where it took some big hits off of trees. The other side is pretty tight against the fabric for a better seal.

Reactions: Steeler-Jim
TI722

TI722

Feb 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I have the Gen2 OEM soft top doors and like them a lot. I can run as fast as she'll go with no issues. mine seal well and I added the bulb seal around the lower part of the doors and made a custom vinyl piece to stop the air from coming in between the windshied and roof. after buying the shifter cover and making a few other small mods I don't have much air getting in and my SATV heater will run you outta there if you crank it up.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Honda soft top blows like you stated, worst money I ever spent back in 16’ went to the hard top soon after. That’s said any soft door will not work worth a dam with a soft top. I’ve had the Honda OEM soft doors 1st gen and they sucked worse than anything that sucked sucked. Not sure about the gen2’s? From what Ives read there good and bad. Too much money spent for good and bad eh? I have CEC inclosures now and love it. I bought it second hand like new. There on FaceTurd so if u have a FaceTurd account (deleted mine 8 yrs ago) you can find them there.

Reactions: Steeler-Jim
wolf359

wolf359

Nov 23, 2019
Appalachia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory soft doors and mid panel on my 2020 5 seater. No gaps anywhere around the soft doors. They work great but rub the hard top a little when opening and closing. The factory soft mid panel has a several inch opening between itself and the hard top all the way across so it's a fair sized opening. I'm not sure if something is missing there because it was installed at the dealer. Between that and the normal openings around the bottom hard doors and shifter it can get quite airish in the cab at speed.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory soft doors and mid panel on my 2020 5 seater. No gaps anywhere around the soft doors. They work great but rub the hard top a little when opening and closing. The factory soft mid panel has a several inch opening between itself and the hard top all the way across so it's a fair sized opening. I'm not sure if something is missing there because it was installed at the dealer. Between that and the normal openings around the bottom hard doors and shifter it can get quite airish in the cab at speed.

No you are not missing anything, that is just the way they are made. The guy I run around with has your same set up and he took a piece of 1" pipe insulation and a pool noddle from his grandkids and filled in the gap. I don't think any of the setups are going to be 100 percent gap free, but they sure help on a cold windblown day. I bought the rear doors for mine because I'm hoping I can get the kids out with me this winter. I've set a Mr Buddy heater up front and it works really well to take the chill off.

O

Oglost

Mar 4, 2016
Az
I have the second generation of the Honda doors (212A) and they seem to work very well. This version comes with a trim piece and molding to take up the gaps around the door and a bracket in the front to hold the door frame in place. My biggest complaint now is the gaps around the lower door and all the air through the shifters. Still working on that, but all the manufactures are going to have that problem.
What windshield do you have? I like the look of the Honda door but concerned the mounts will conflict with my Seizmik poly windshield.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What windshield do you have? I like the look of the Honda door but concerned the mounts will conflict with my Seizmik poly windshield.
I have the honda 2 piece front window. The seal piece attaches to bottom of the A pillar with the 3 push pins already there. Then it uses a hose clamp to attach the 2 seal pieces and the front window clamp together. I don't know too much about the Seizmik windshield but would guess it would work with it. Here are the instructions for the doors, so they might give you an idea what I'm talking about. The seal comes up aways on the outside and inside of the pillar, but nothing in the front.
https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/0SR90-HL4-212A.pdf

Reactions: JCBuckster
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My only complaint on the doors is how to attach a set of mirrors. The driver side isn't too big of a deal, but the seal on the passenger side causes a blind spot so the mirrors would have to come aways out and back to see. I ordered a set of the honda mirrors and am try to come up with away to attach them to the doors.

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at utvenclosures.com. Just put a set on my rig. Not doors per say. You unzip them to open door. Looks like a better deal than oem or seizmik but I haven’t tested them out yet. Mainly wanted something to keep rain off. Just got the two front upper doors. No drilling. Snaps and Velcro. Fairly good fit. $335

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, sxsenclosures.com

H

Honda_Dave

Apr 8, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at utvenclosures.com. Just put a set on my rig. Not doors per say. You unzip them to open door. Looks like a better deal than oem or seizmik but I haven’t tested them out yet. Mainly wanted something to keep rain off. Just got the two front upper doors. No drilling. Snaps and Velcro. Fairly good fit. $335

I'm considering the same enclosure. I'll be curious to hear how you like them. I've been on their website and installation looks pretty straightforward.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!