Big and wide as posible

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hoping to come up with what will fit around 32" tall and as wide as i can in the front and still be able to turn. Im trying to come up with a set of snow tires that will allow me to float. So i have a set of 1.5" wheel spacers on. And will be installing the super atv arms for the extra off set and a 2.5" high lifter lift. Im thinking that i will jump up to a 15" rim so it will open up many more light truck tire sizes. So im curious has any one gone wider than stock in the front and back?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You may want to consider a gear reduction for this mod!

However, if you stay 28" or shorter you could go with a real wide tire. I would think 12" front wouldn't be that difficult.

You could put your stock rear tires on the front and take some measurements.

I haven't seen an off-the-shelf long arm kit for more width but I would definitely look into forward arched arms and rear arched arms.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

However, if you stay 28" or shorter you could go with a real wide tire. I would think 12" front wouldn't be that difficult.

I haven't seen an off-the-shelf long arm kit for more width but I would definitely look into forward arched arms and rear arched arms.

My thought is i might be able to get by with out some sort of gear reductions. Im fine with the machine losing power. This set up is just to hopefuly float more over the snow and i will swap back to stock in the spring. This last weekend the snow was so deep that if you gave it much more than 3/4 throttle below 10 mph we would just sink. A lot of that was because we were dragging skid plates and had a pretty full heavy load.I think i will use the rears for measurments once the new parts are on.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you're thinking 32" tires, I would consider the gears.

Of coarse, get the tires first and try it. You can always add gears.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If i do the igr than im stuck running 30s or more during the summer. Not sure that i want the higher center of gravity for when its rally time back on the dirt.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If i do the igr than im stuck running 30s or more during the summer. Not sure that i want the higher center of gravity for when its rally time back on the dirt.

You can run 30s without a lift if you do the forward arched arms and the rear arched arms. That helps a lot.

Then if you have adjustable shocks, you can crank it up during the winter time to run your bigger tires.

You gotta pay to play, unfortunately

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Btw, i'm still dreaming of owning a set of adjustable shocks and a gear reduction so I'm in the same boat as you are.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think the portals would help with an extra width in the front much? They add 3.5" width to each side plus 4" of lift plus the gear reductions

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Do you think the portals would help with an extra width in the front much? They add 3.5" width to each side plus 4" of lift plus the gear reductions

I'm sure the portals would help with lift and width. I can't recommend those as I've never had any nor have I ever seen a set in person. Supposedly, they work well and I've not heard of any issues.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I'm sure the portals would help with lift and width. I can't recommend those as I've never had any nor have I ever seen a set in person. Supposedly, they work well and I've not heard of any issues.
Don't they get hot? Seems like I've read that as an issue somewhere?? But I dunno..

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just read through an rzr forum with guys putting them on their 1000s and runing 32-38" tires. Watched a few vids were they are beating the heck out of them. Bouncing them on rocks. An other guy was running them at moab utah. The thread was started in 2014 and the latest post was this last fall. The only complaint people were posting about was after 400-600 miles the gear box would start to weep oil at thw seam where it would split apart. No one said anything about any heat issues though. And it seemed like super atv would jump right on and send the people with a weeping case a free gasket. Im not completely sold on them but they do seem pretty legit.

Reactions: JTW
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know anything about portals, but from what I've seen on the FB page there's a few guys tearing up their machines with them.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Don't they get hot? Seems like I've read that as an issue somewhere?? But I dunno..

I've got a fear that they will twist the A-arms. Our A-arms currently have the hub in the middle so braking and accelerating will apply a twisting force but at least it doesn't have the extra 4" leverage that the portals add.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a fear that they will twist the A-arms. Our A-arms currently have the hub in the middle so braking and accelerating will apply a twisting force but at least it doesn't have the extra 4" leverage that the portals add.
Verry good point. Even if the arms can hold up it would play hell on their bushings

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know anything about portals, but from what I've seen on the FB page there's a few guys tearing up their machines with them.
I dont have fb. Do you recall what they are breaking

J

JTW

That's a valid point..

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you run a 15" wheel you could run bfg a/t in a 31x12.50. They are wide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Appreciate all the input. Still not sure yet what im gonna do just yet. Probably hang tight untill the lift and arm are on then take some measurements with the rears on the front and go from there

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!