P500 Big Bore Kit

D

Duckhunt

Everything is up and running! Had a delay because when I put the front cover on I rolled the front final shaft seal (cough @906UP ) LOL but anyway finally got it in and she runs amazing. Hard to tell how much power I gained since I also got tracks on, and I have minimal run minutes, not hours, on it right now but the thing I notice is I get into virgin snow powder and she starts to bog and you get that good ole fashion "oh no, hold on and start dumping gears" feeling but you hit the gas and it just instantly pops right back up into higher rpm.

The one main thing I noticed, is the new cam didn't have the decompression "thinger" on it. I called them and they instantly said we remove them and you don't need it... okay?!? Well, the first two times I started it, didn't notice. Last night must have shut her down and piston stopped on compression stroke. Because tonight, after hitting the key it did nothing but click, however after holding the key for a good full second, she rolled over TDC then cranked normally and started. So... may have issues down the road, I may double check all connections and I'll keep trickle charger on it always, and possibly research a new bigger badder battery. However, you guys would defecate a brick if you heard how quiet the engine is now! I took a 10 second video and it doesn't really do justice to even post, and I never had what some people have in loud valve train noise, but now it's just plain quiet. Exhaust notes only. My mind is going haywire so excitd to explore the snowy woods but also can't wait for summer for the real comparison with tires back on!

D

Duckhunt

Full

U

ueleywiLuckyshot

Jul 25, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Duckhunt, Did you add some kind of roof extender to the sides of your roof, if so what did you use. It looks good

Reactions: Duckhunt
D

Duckhunt

Thanks! My D bar cover plates, front fender and roof side inserts were inspired by @trigger. I made them from .080" 3003 aluminum plate. I brought my hood into Ace Hardware and had some exterior paint matched, then threw some rustoleum clear coat over the top. Then finished with simple rubber edge trim. Better picture from summer daylight.

Edit: To make the plates I used $1 target tagboard to make templates then traced out and used a jigsaw with metal blade. Keep the blade well oiled to prevent the teeth clogging with aluminum.
IMG 0374

Last edited by a moderator:
U

ueleywiLuckyshot

Jul 25, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
Does the roof side inserts help stop the rain from dripping in the cab. Mine drips right on my arm and shoulder while riding in the rain, getting me awful wet by the end of the ride

D

Duckhunt

Does the roof side inserts help stop the rain from dripping in the cab. Mine drips right on my arm and shoulder while riding in the rain, getting me awful wet by the end of the ride
Not going lie I couldn't tell you because with the no windshield in summer I'm soaked regardless in rain. But now that you mention it I do notice water hitting the trim and running back when I wash it.

Got the tires back on yet? I want to see a video of a Pioneer 561cc wheelie
Almost! It's really crap now, woods and trails still full of snow but with major warm weather last weekend all our country dirt roads are very rough frozen mud and ice/slush in morning and in evening 2" deep of slush and mud. But the tires are going back on soon, like hopefully this weekend!

D

Duckhunt

Finally got out with the tires! She goes, boys. Naturally, for me, it wasn't what I hoped but I've built a lot of sh*t and it never is, but when you start with 29 horse even if you add 50% that's still not even 45. So realistically 25-30% is a nice gain but still mid 30's.

The biggest gain I noticed was 40-90% throttle. It runs through the gears real nice, can get loose on corners now lol. The most impressive thing to me was going 43 mph gps stock speedo said 36mph, I came to a fairly steep hill on the forest road and she did not drop 1 mph! She grunted as I put the pedal through the floorboard, but before I would have easily dropped 4-5mph on that same hill and now she held.

Short ride, had to try to go through the deep snow and buried it well over the frame so we spent a while winching it out. Snow is hard on top and soft underneath so once your hung up it's like on jack stands.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Finally got out with the tires! She goes, boys. Naturally, for me, it wasn't what I hoped but I've built a lot of sh*t and it never is, but when you start with 29 horse even if you add 50% that's still not even 45. So realistically 25-30% is a nice gain but still mid 30's.

The biggest gain I noticed was 40-90% throttle. It runs through the gears real nice, can get loose on corners now lol. The most impressive thing to me was going 43 mph gps stock speedo said 36mph, I came to a fairly steep hill on the forest road and she did not drop 1 mph! She grunted as I put the pedal through the floorboard, but before I would have easily dropped 4-5mph on that same hill and now she held.

Short ride, had to try to go through the deep snow and buried it well over the frame so we spent a while winching it out. Snow is hard on top and soft underneath so once your hung up it's like on jack stands.
What brand/size tires are you running now?

D

Duckhunt

Big Horn 2 26x8/26x10. These are Yamaha take offs, basically knock offs bias ply.

I just looked at my fuel trims from the map they gave me and I'm running 10-15% less fuel than they are, which tells me my exhaust is now the weakest link. They made this map on a dyno with an HMF, I got an opened up stock no cat.

If anything it got my wife all riled up. That's gotta mean something! Hopefully it lasts till later tonight...

Reactions: 906UP and trigger
Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Everything is up and running! Had a delay because when I put the front cover on I rolled the front final shaft seal (cough @906UP ) LOL but anyway finally got it in and she runs amazing. Hard to tell how much power I gained since I also got tracks on, and I have minimal run minutes, not hours, on it right now but the thing I notice is I get into virgin snow powder and she starts to bog and you get that good ole fashion "oh no, hold on and start dumping gears" feeling but you hit the gas and it just instantly pops right back up into higher rpm.

The one main thing I noticed, is the new cam didn't have the decompression "thinger" on it. I called them and they instantly said we remove them and you don't need it... okay?!? Well, the first two times I started it, didn't notice. Last night must have shut her down and piston stopped on compression stroke. Because tonight, after hitting the key it did nothing but click, however after holding the key for a good full second, she rolled over TDC then cranked normally and started. So... may have issues down the road, I may double check all connections and I'll keep trickle charger on it always, and possibly research a new bigger badder battery. However, you guys would defecate a brick if you heard how quiet the engine is now! I took a 10 second video and it doesn't really do justice to even post, and I never had what some people have in loud valve train noise, but now it's just plain quiet. Exhaust notes only. My mind is going haywire so excitd to explore the snowy woods but also can't wait for summer for the real comparison with tires back on!
My 2016 P-500 has 3,550 miles on it. No smoke, still runs strong. A big bore kit would be nice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!